To answer your question, is it your problem? Well yes, yes it is. What happenes when medical costs are out of your reach? If everyone paid a small amount to include the rich, the poor, and the middle class. Doctors offices were not allowed to jack prices up, there were caps on prices set. Then medical coverage drops so that it is cheaper for all. As I said this is proven numerous times in other countries. What do you pay now in insurance? $150? $200 per month? Imagine that droping to $50 per month if everyone pays by law?

Does that sound so bad? Yes I think the government can step in and regulate a bit. Yes I think everyone can pay a bit. In the end it is cheaper and more efficient. You have had 2 kids. You ever look at the bill afterwards? How much on it was jacked up in price? Is that fair to the insurance company to have to pay for all those that didn't pay? Think about it, if everyone paid a minimal fee then there would be a shit load more money. This is however a bit of subject. Healthcare is one thing I take issue with.

Let look at the others. You have a small business and belive me I feel your pain

http://vanceconcepts.com

I too am looking at contractors to do my work. But lets look at bigger companies. American airlines went to thier employees and talked them into taking a lower pay for the next 3 years then gave them selves multi million dollar bonuses.

Enron, no need to say more.

I can list many companies for you if you like. You say, it's thier company, if the employees do not like it move on. Okay, to where? Take my industry. With all the mergers... What we have left is

SBC/AT&T
Verizon
Sprint
Quest
Bell South

Now SBC will soon buy Bell south I am betting. This gives them 100% control of Cingular wireless.

Sprint is in bed with the 4 major cable companies

There is no MCI now, Verizon bought them out

Quest is primed to be bought up as they are cheap(screwed up, but cheap none the less)

SBC or now named AT&T buys bell south, Verizon buys Quest. That leave

SBC/AT&T
Verizon
Sprint

All of which will have thier areas. Sure you have mom and pop telco's. lol Where the CEO is the head tech and marketing rep to major customers.

Lets look at the energy industries

Exon and moblie are 1 company

Power companies though deregulation(we saw how great that was for California) are merging and seting higher prices.

So Testing, you say everything is great and no change is needed... Tell me if we do not raise minimum wage or make some sort of change how someone making 35k will afford to live in 5 years?

Housing costs going up
Electric going up
Medical coverage through the roof and not slowing down
Gas prices will only rise with time
Education is going up exponetialy
All this will drive food up

If you make 100k you are fortunate enough to be in the upper middle class. But how does the middle and lower middle class make it? The bulk of ou population I might add. Surely you know what has happened in history when the bulk of the population is left out to pasture? They rebel. 35k is a far cry from taking the minimum as you say. That is someone trying. Now they could get 2 35k jobs but then the spouse will probably not be able to hold a full time job very well if they have kids.