There it is, blipverts can't be far behind.

For the younger crowd here... There was a strange commercial phenomenon in the late 80's called Max Headroom, which ended up being a Pepsi 'spokesperson' as well as a broadcast sci-fi TV show. (which I thought was kewl at the time...) It was basically an AI-in-a-box, an artificial "talking head", modelled on actor Matt Frewer.

ANYWAY... The term blipvert comes from the first episode of the MH TV show. Apparently the TV 'providers' had decided that a commercial shouldn't be long enough for someone to change the channel. So they condensed (by speeding up) maybe five minutes of commercials into maybe 20-30 seconds = blipverts. They were over and drilled into your subconscious before you could even reach for the remote, and by then your show is back on! Happy happy joy joy. (Stimpson J. Cat)

In the show, the result was that some of the people's heads exploded after watching them. It surprises me now, because I don't think a show like that could get aired these days, portraying advertisers and networks in such a negative light... not on broadcast.

Here is TechTV\'s definition of blipvert and some info about the show.

And you thought pop-ups and exit banners were bad. *clucks tongue* The (so far) fictional blipvert hinted at something that is quickly becoming possible - advertising that is not even consciously perceptible, metaphorically injected into your brain.

On the positive side, this is excellent for messaging technologies, like voicemail. It could become a practical way to compress voice-only audio, in ADDITION to existing compression technology, much like JPEG's 'lossy' compression.

It could also have benefits in education. I'm thinking of news and books that could be heard instead of read, at much higher speeds than normally possible. Yet... I'm not entirely sure this is a good thing. Time will tell.