UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15795 - 03/18/04 06:08 AM How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
OaKz Offline

Loc: MINDANAO
This is the only thing in windowx XP's shutdown utility that i dont really understand...I know it will shutdown a computer remotely...What do i have to do before i could type "shutdown -s -m //computername" ...so that i dont get a message like
"access denied"?

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links

#15796 - 03/19/04 02:57 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Ghost Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've tried and have never been able to get it to work. If you want to shut it down remotly try starting the telnet service, and connecting to the computer with telnet. Once you're logged in to the computer you with to shut down, type "shutdown -s" and it will display the count down timer on the computer youre connected to, and after 30 seconds it will shut down.

#15797 - 03/19/04 05:00 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
OaKz Offline

do mean i have to start a telnet session to a target without installing anything like a telnet server like winshell?I dont know about winXP having a built-in telnet server or anything that will take connections from port 23...do U mind sharing m8?

I used to work with winshell and it works, bad thing is AVs can detect it...so i thougth i could use some help with winXP built-in utility.

#15798 - 03/19/04 05:40 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Ghost Offline

Well Windows XP Professional has a built in telnet server. To enable it go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and scroll down the list for telnet. Double click it, set the Startup Type to automatic, and click the "Start" button. This starts the service, and sets it to automatically start every time you start windows. If your computer doesnt have a telnet server go to http://kpym.sourceforge.net#4 and download "KTS v1.06 Setup" and save it to the desktop so you know where it is when it finishes. When it finishes downloading, install it, go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and find "KPyM Telnet Service". Double click it, set it to start automatically, and click start. That starts the service, and you will be able to connect to that computer with telnet on port 23 and be able to remotly shut it down.

#15799 - 03/20/04 04:49 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
OaKz Offline

wow,thanks for the details.
I've got to try it ryt away ...

#15800 - 03/21/04 01:10 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost:
Well Windows XP Professional has a built in telnet server. To enable it go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and scroll down the list for telnet. Double click it, set the Startup Type to automatic, and click the "Start" button. This starts the service, and sets it to automatically start every time you start windows. If your computer doesnt have a telnet server go to http://kpym.sourceforge.net#4 and download "KTS v1.06 Setup" and save it to the desktop so you know where it is when it finishes. When it finishes downloading, install it, go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and find "KPyM Telnet Service". Double click it, set it to start automatically, and click start. That starts the service, and you will be able to connect to that computer with telnet on port 23 and be able to remotly shut it down.
Ghost!! You have you have entered the helpful!!! You da man!

#15801 - 03/21/04 11:32 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Artic Warrior Offline
UGN Member

Loc: My room
I have installed telnet, and followed the directions from ghost post. But when i type in shutdown -i -m //(computorname)it comes up with network path not found.

Im am using xp and am on a university network of over 100 pc's. hope you can help me.

#15802 - 03/21/04 01:18 PM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Ghost Offline

Well doing "shutdown -i" is going to display the user interface for this command, and it will ignore any flags beyond it. My previous post needs physical access to a computer to intall the telnet server. You then connect to that computer with telnet, login, and type "shutdown -s" to shut it down. What you're doing is telling the computer to display the GUI they made that interfaces with the shutdown utility. It doesnt do anything with the "-m" you put on the end of it. Also, when you type the name of the computer into the GUI and it cannot be found, it returns you to the command line utility and displays "the network path was not found". What you need to do is download and install the telnet server onto the computer you're trying to shut down (if you do not already have one). After you have done that, Go to Start, Run, and type in "telnet [ip address of computer youre trying to shut down]". So for example connecting to my computer i would type, "telnet 127.0.0.1". After you are connected to the computer and logged in, type "shutdown -s" and that will shut the computer down. That should enable you to shut the computer down.

#15803 - 03/21/04 01:25 PM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Artic Warrior Offline
UGN Member

thaks ill try it...im so excited. You should have seen me when i read how to change the recycle bin name.
This forum is soo cool.
thanx buddy.

#15804 - 03/21/04 01:45 PM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Artic Warrior Offline
UGN Member

i tried it. this is all fairly new to me.
I installed telnet on her pc and then went into run and did what you said. it cam up with:
login:
pass:
domain:

what do i put on these. Do I have to use telnet and make her own pass, domain ect. or do i make them on my telnet and use it for the shutdown.

#15805 - 03/21/04 10:02 PM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Ghost Offline

Ok, once you are connected to the computer you wish to shutdown with telnet, you have to login with a username that already exists for logging in to windows. So for example:
Code:
login: Administrator
pass:00000
domain:
Note that the telnet server doesnt echo the charecters for the password back to you. So when you enter it it will really look like
Code:
login:Administrator
pass:
domain
Also note that you dont have to enter anything for domain.

#15806 - 03/22/04 03:36 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Artic Warrior Offline
UGN Member

i am gettin an access denied now. but dont worry about it. i really have no idea what im doing. I will keep praticing though.

#15807 - 03/22/04 05:41 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
Ghost Offline

well are you connected to the computer you wish to shut down with telnet, or are you still trying to remotley shut it down with out using telnet? This entire thread is about using telnet to connect to the computer, loging in, and then shuting that computer down. If you try to remote shutdown using "shutdown -m \\computername" its just going to return you to the command line with "access denied". What you need to do is connect to the computer you wish to shut down, login with a vaild username and password combination, and type "shutdown -s" into the command line which will then shut the computer down.

#15808 - 03/25/04 06:10 AM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
OaKz Offline

m8, telneting the target computer and shutting it down really works.

#15809 - 04/24/04 07:57 PM Re: How to Shutdown -m //computername ?
weeve Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: The Beach
heh humm, question, probably my first real one on the board. since their phasing out to GUI on xp+, and console is becoming almost non-existent. You can't shutdown into dos, you have like a almost UNIX like shell, but...it doesn't give you access to do nice things unless under admin, which is dangerous to be under all the time when online...anyway in linux you can su to root, and then exit out. So as to keep yourself safe.

Either way I'm wondering why the shutdown command is a topic here? Like why it's cool, when it may just be gone in 2-6 years do to the GUI, and 3d passover that MAY be happening. But..it does look to be. Either way no huffing, and puffing on anything please. Just a question on the truth of why you'd want to go so far to augment a system when the providers of this operating system are phasing out what you like? I'm not advocating or hating on anything. Just pointing out some of my own questions in my head.

To first see if this is felt, and second to see why, one wants to do this?

Thanks,

weeve

p.s. - pls to no flames kthx, the whole advocacy issue is a bitch, and I love all ppl/companies that code at all(deep down in my heart that is). Even if I do show, or play sides once in a rare while.
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2149 Members
46 Forums
35334 Topics
70504 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 28495
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 310 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News
luxury goods sales at $405B by 2019
by golqm
10/28/14 05:19 AM

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!