UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16559 - 04/05/03 02:50 AM Debian GNU/Hurd
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=55

Description: The GNU Hurd is the GNU project's replacement for the Unix kernel. Note that this is NOT Debian GNU/Linux - it's Debian GNU/HURD, meaning it's based on a different kernel. It has fewer packages, and is in very early development. Use at your own risk.

Now the GNU has come up with some realy good products over the years. Anyone given this a shot? Any one care to? I think I will it this week and maybe write up what I think. Anyone know what the main differences are?

Sponsored Links

#16560 - 04/05/03 12:15 PM Re: Debian GNU/Hurd
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: Merrill, IA, USA
It souded pretty interesting. Here is the differences that I noticed from reading.

HURD Microkernel
Small, basic infrastructure, far less code involved, new features are module-like and not added into the kernel
LINUX Monolithic Kernel
Large amounts of code, larger, features are added into kernel which increases size, lowers speed unneccesarily, and introduces bugs.

The other comparisons seemed a little skewed to leave out linux capabilities, or perhaps like they said, when they started, linux wasn't anywhere near how it is today.

Another thing was
1] Users can replace system services
2] No mutual trust to make use of other services
3] Security on the system is not harmed by trusting user services.

Doesn't that seem like trouble? Still not sure how it works, didn't see in the hurd docs.

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd-talk.html#the

#16561 - 04/05/03 03:53 PM Re: Debian GNU/Hurd
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
I know this has been in development for some time now. I belive I heard of "Hurd" when I first started coming to UGN Security.

To my understanding Richard Stallman is upset Linus Trovald gets all the credit for Linux. It is true it should be called GNU/Linux. And the GNU provides most of the tools and programs people use. All Linus provided was the kernel. From what I heard his kernel was far from stable also. I just happened to be the missing piece.

So I excepect the Hurd Kernel is an attempt to get some well deserved credit back in the mind of Richard Stallman/The GNU people.

I do find it very intresting. The GNU has developemed many products that far exceed their comercial counter parts in quality over the years. One perfect example is the gcc compiler. Hear is a top of the line compiler offered for free. Similar versions that offer just as much can run you thousands of dollars.

Like I said I am going to give this a test and write up what I think. I am intrested to see what the compatability is to packages curently out for Linux.

Can you imaging,

BSD, Linux, Hurd,

3 open source kernels vs True Unix, Windows

OS X is based of the Linux kernel so comercialy that is about it as far as I know. Well BeOS but that is no longer.

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36116 Topics
71286 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29277
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!