UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19273 - 03/06/04 12:35 PM Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
http://www.bentodev.org

A new concept in a new language is on the way. Open source language Bento claims to be bringing OOP Object Oreinted Programing to the the Presentation layer.

No one owns Bento. Bento is an open, non-proprietary language with an open-source reference implementation.

Sounds intresting. This will be cool if it takes off I think. They are looking for Web Developers to alpha test now. They are also looking for Java developers.

Sponsored Links

#19274 - 03/06/04 12:47 PM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
§intå× Offline

The site is served by BentoServlet/Tomcat. Now of course that is a good thing, but they offer the source to the site to everyone as well...

http://www.bentodev.org/source/index

I just might mess with this stuff.

#19275 - 03/06/04 05:40 PM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
Nope, the languages don't have a damn thing to worry about.

I'm gonna briefly discuss this language, but keep in mind I'm very blazed at the moment, and still a bit drunk. So it may be kinda weird.

Bento looks kind of interesting, it looks like a simple way to develop dynamic web pages. However, when people want a simple way to develop dynamic web pages, they use PHP. The biggest problem is that it sits on top of a Java servlet. Most people don't have any form of Java support in their hosting plans, it's just not common. Serverside Java is used by serious developers, not somebody who wants to have a little blog system on their site. Although I did write a blog system in Java The point is, the people who have Java support, thus enabling this Bento language, are going to be using Java anyway. So by being a language built on top of Java, it moves away from its target audience (basic users wanting to easily develop dynamic pages), and becomes accessible only to a group of developers that doesn't need or want it.

I imagine that Bento could be extremely powerful, because it would be able to take advantage of the rich Java API. It's obviously still very young and in development, and it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

It looks like it could be a good little language. Doesn't do much right now, but with some development, it could be pretty good. The biggest problem though is that it's not accessible to the group it targets, and the group who can use it doesn't need/want it. I don't see this ever becoming a main stream type language. I'll stick with Java for now (and discuss it a bit more later today, when I'm not quite so messed up).

#19276 - 03/06/04 05:45 PM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
Ohhhhhhhhh, and I totally forgot another crucial concept. The fact that it makes it VERY difficult from separating content from presentation. They've got this article that talks about it, but looking at their examples and the code, it doesn't look like Bento facilitates this separation at all. That's all well and good for the average user that wants to play around with dynamic pages, but for serious development, it's awful. So much wasted time, it definitely hinders productivity. I'll talk about this more later today, I'm gonna go to sleep now.

#19277 - 03/07/04 01:11 PM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
§intå× Offline

JSP and Java serverlets are growing technologies. It costs nothing, so I would excepect more hosting places to have it installed standard.

Plus now with Java you cut the 2 year Microsoft cost out. This beats out ASP.net or what ever they call it this year. I am going to follow this closely as it develops. If it bombs, I will let you guys know.

If it seems to be taking off... say apache group develops a mod for it or some shit. I will let you know that too.

#19278 - 03/08/04 04:06 AM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
I'll believe it when I see it :/.

#19279 - 08/12/04 06:42 AM Re: Do ASP, PHP, JSP, and Perl have anything to worry about?
Watuu Offline

I saw what i believe

Moderator:  §intå×, Gremelin 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36109 Topics
71279 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29270
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 330 Guests and 313 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!