UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28112 - 04/14/03 04:48 AM New Custom-Built Computers Site
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: Merrill, IA, USA
Starting a website that will custom build computers for you. For the first few months, there will be very little customization available probably and also, few models to choose from. This is because the startup costs are very high, even to carry a limited amount of hardware on hand. I would appreciate all your feedback on what you look for when buying a custombuilt/prebuilt PC online. I will list what we are comtemplating. Any suggestions or even example sites are wanted!

1] 6 Basic Models to choose from which may be customized further. OFFICE, SCHOOL, MEDIA, GAMER, BUDGET, TOP OF THE LINE. I believe these will cover all the major markets, let me know if I am missing something
2] From the above models you will be able to customize everything.
3] Pictures and explanations available for each peice of hardware. So you know what you are getting and what exactly it does. Would you want benchmarks?
4] Preinstalled OS, Office Suite, Antivirus. You can also choose to have none of this installed. Oses will be all MS OSes and Linux Distros.
5] Systems can have option (at no cost) of running for 24-48hrs before shipment. To further guarantee no surprises will occur. According to A+, first 48hrs a computer is up and running, tend to be very telling.
6] Warrranty for 1yr no charge. Also free online/phone tech support 8hrs,5days.
7] Optional extended warrantees and 24/7 tech support at a low reasonable cost.
8] Later on, send in a design, and we will laser cut case. Would ppl be interested in this one? Any other BIG modding type things that people desire?
9] Shipment in 3-5 days. This is time limit for big companies even. We could possibly offer 24hrs for certain models. But sure ppl would rather have 24-48hrs testing time before shipment.
10] Online job notice. You get emails after order is shipped. Can check after website to see if system pending, in building process, in testing process(and time left), and when shipped (+tracking number)
11] Not alot of places do this I don't believe, but a courtesy call after arrival to verify all is ok.
12] ##-point inspection will be listed so we know you can be sure your computer is fully functional.

Now, you will notice alot of this isn't technical. With the amount of custom/pre sites on the net, I believe support and reliability comes directly after costs. So let me know of any suggestions tech-wise, service-wise, etc.

If there is one thing out there that really sells to you, or that you would like to see out there, let me know. This will be up in a few months, any feedback that is incorporated into site, will result in you being offered discounted, if not free, hardware/system.

EDIT 1
Though of some more things:

13] Auto-Restore (insert CD/DVD and have system back to where it was when received (drivers, config, software,etc) with a few clicks.
14] Auto-Update (don't know enough coding to do this myself, but for now, could email individuals when new drivers for system released and direct link in email to downloads. wouldn't be too tough to have a n app do this on their computer @ startup)
15] Documentation. Would include a diagram on complete installation from opening box to booting into OS.
16] Referrals can result in 50$ off your next system per referral or something similar. After all, for small companies, word-of-mouth would be the cheapest and most effective advertising.

Autoupdate may be free or subscription based depending on what type you get perhaps. Autorestore can cost 20 dollars and that includes ability to receive updated drivers on a CD monthly or something like that. Could include in the util the tech support software to contact a rep. Similar to an IRC client pretty much

Quote:

Just buy a small dremel, then you can customize cases, they cost anywhere from $20-$100, the more expencive the better quality.

Actually, your shipping time is faster than most "big companies" for my laptop it took about a month.

It all in all sounds kind of cool, perhaps we can have a UGN Security System ... A dedication to your god, err i mean, to your hero
I would go the dremmel route, but I believe we have a laser cutter at our disposal. Hmm, but only in one of our locations, so will have to check out the dremmel. Some ppl live and die by those things

This all sounds like alot and will take alot of planning, but as of now, I think it will be easier and benefit from the fact we will be a smaller company.

As for a UGN Security system, maybe a linux or something that comes hardened already or a small hardware firewall box, bearing the UGN Security logo, etc

Sponsored Links

#28113 - 04/14/03 09:36 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Just buy a small dremel, then you can customize cases, they cost anywhere from $20-$100, the more expencive the better quality.

Actually, your shipping time is faster than most "big companies" for my laptop it took about a month.

It all in all sounds kind of cool, perhaps we can have a UGN Security System ... A dedication to your god, err i mean, to your hero ...

#28114 - 04/14/03 06:52 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Chem Offline
UGN News Staff

Loc: Vagabond (Location Differs)
Circuit City and other big companies donít include a windows (OS) CD with the system anymore, my guess is they get major discounts for not including the cd so people cant easily make copies of windows,
Will you be doing this?

#28115 - 04/14/03 07:33 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
Yeah, those QuickRestore disks that Compaq and HP use blow my nuts. Since you're doin all this custom, I figure you'll just install Windows and whatever other software and package those CDs along with it. Be sure to do that, and maybe offer a utilities disk that has recovery utilities on it. Also, I didn't see anything about a warranty, that's an absolute necessity. I have no clue how you'd do it, but it's somethin you need to figure out. Lastly, don't offer the burn in (running it for 48 hours) as an option. Make that a standard feature that people can specifically request to not have, if they need the system really quickly. It's really important for the burn in, and it should be something you do unless you are specifically instructed not to.

#28116 - 04/14/03 08:39 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

Warranty is number 6. 1yr free, 2years $100, 3years $100 for 2yr plus 50. Something like that

I would totally agree on the burn in. It would be an option selected by default and only if they select 24hr turn around, will they not have the burn in, but it would warn them on the page of that.

And for the QuickRestore, what makes those other ones suck? J/C so we don't do the same.

Thanks Perg

Quote:

Circuit City and other big companies donít include a windows (OS) CD with the system anymore, my guess is they get major discounts for not including the cd so people cant easily make copies of windows,
Will you be doing this?
Chem - Er, haven't got a puter in a while. Wth do they give you then? Just a restore disk? I am pretty sure we would include all software on a CD. I mean you paying for it, you entitled to it.

#28117 - 04/14/03 11:34 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Infinite Offline

Loc: Canada eh
I got a "Dell recovery CD" when I bought my dell. It will do everything most disc's do, except it won't install on anything other thana dell. I dunno what other limits it has as it is ME and I have never actually ysed it. About 1 week was all I could take of that steaming pile of doshit they call an OS.

Infinite

#28118 - 04/15/03 02:20 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
i have the compaq quick restore disks, i had to use them once, they install the OS as well as any software that came with it such as Works, Money, and some encyclopedia shit that came with it.

#28119 - 04/16/03 12:24 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
fleshwound Offline

Loc: CO
yeah. i have the dell recovery disc for windows XP. blahhhhhhh. that's all i can say. it is fucking weak.

#28120 - 04/16/03 01:31 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

HI fleshwound. Long Time No See!

I got another idea, I figure after this thread dies down, I will edit the first post will all suggestions and who did them, then I will try to prioritize according to need and ROI for that feature.

17] Custom Built PC
Now you are all saying, "WTH, most sites do this already!" Nope, I mean yuo can have a user specify via hardware or usage. Ex, checklists like

[Entertainment]
[X] Burn CDs
[x] Store MP3s
[x] Watch DVDs
[x] Sound System

[Work]
[x] Office Suite
[x] CAD

[Internet]
[x] Dialup
[x] Webserver
[x] ISDN

And so on, and what this does is for each of these we will add so much harddrive space, addons, RAM, etc. So you can pick what things you want to be able to do and the system specs will change accordingly. I haven't seen this anyone really, and I think it will soften the customPC learning curve even more, NOW they won't even need to worry about what hardware requirements. Of course, they can see with a click what each option adds hardware wise and still review the system specs once reconfigured for the new settings they choose

#28121 - 04/16/03 01:34 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Jon, get a rough page up and i'll help you like I do with perg on additions.

#28122 - 04/16/03 03:26 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

Loc: us
Sounds good man, I am glad you are calling them things like Gamer and Budget because I am sick of seeing Hive Mind and Aurora and Ultrasuper or something at all the custom pc sites.

I saw a few custom pc sites, but I don't remember them now. They didn't have anything on them that Alienware didn't do so it doesn't matter. Just make sure your website does NOT look like shit (www.ibuypower.com). Are you gonna have stickers made that go on the case? Like a ULTRAUBER PC badge or something?

#28123 - 04/16/03 05:55 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

yeh jon, if you use the sticker idea, go with http://www.cafepress.com and use us as your referral :x...

#28124 - 04/17/03 12:15 AM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
i almost bought a computer from ibuypower.com, one click away before i thought better of it

#28125 - 04/17/03 06:07 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
fleshwound Offline

Loc: CO
oh i like the sticker/badge idea. very nice

#28126 - 04/19/03 04:34 PM Re: New Custom-Built Computers Site
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

I am going to start prioritizing these ideas, and trying to add the key ones to a business plan. I will need to word it well and hopefully one of the ideas will catch their attention.

So, last chance to get something included and get rewarded later on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2145 Members
46 Forums
33352 Topics
68519 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 10:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 26515
Gremelin 7192
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Jimmie Menon, fghijk435948, Devo60, ali, lavos
2147 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 688 Guests and 309 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!