UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store
 

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30324 - 07/15/04 02:25 AM Electrolytic cell
Marko Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 07/14/04
Posts: 1
Loc: Canada
Firstly, how many amps come out of a North American electrical outlet? I vaguely recall reading 20A but I'm not sure.

To power an electrolytic cell, can I take an extension cord, split the two wires and plug it into the wall as a power source? How likely am I to electrocute myself if i don't use some type of DC converter to lower the amps. Could I also restrict the Amps by using a power cord from say a printer, or VCR instead of an extension cord? they have Amp outputs anywhere from 0.1-1A.

Top
Sponsored Links
      
#30325 - 08/07/04 07:56 AM Re: Electrolytic cell
n0mel Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 04/30/04
Posts: 34
Loc: ...
It's limited to 20 amps after a short time. That's what circuit breakers are for. You could get more that 20 if you had a bigger circuit breaker...and didn't mind a possible fire starting inside your walls from weak wiring.

You don't want to use AC current...you need DC. You need current flow in a single direction. You can use one of those little DC converters from an appliance like you're saying. Although, if you draw too much current from them, they can overheat and destroy themselves, or worste, cause a fire. I think the current rating is more of a, you can get 0.1 amps at the rated volts...but if you try to draw more, the voltage will drop. although, in your case, that doesn't matter that much.

If you put the electrodes at a reasonable distance, you shouldn't overheat a common DC transformer. I like to use old computer power supplies. They are made to handle the load (5v at around 30 amps, 12v around 15 amps) and have all sorts of protective measures, plus active cooling

Just be carefull. NEVER PLAY WITH LIVE POWER MAIN VOLTAGES. It's too dangerouse, a stupid way to possibly die, and there's usually never a real purpose besides ignorance.

And, don't use table salt...you can make nasty chlorine gas that way.

Are you doing this just to make oxygen and hydrogen or something? Or making some rust?

Top

Featured Member
Registered: 03/05/02
Posts: 9
Forum Stats
2146 Members
46 Forums
33826 Topics
68993 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 10:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 26989
Gremelin 7192
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Devo60, ali, lavos, Zanvin Green, Daktologist
2145 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 342 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News


Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!