UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
The History Thread...
by Gremelin
09/18/14 12:42 PM
Doom 3
by Cyrez
09/11/14 11:58 PM
Latest Reviews
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30353 - 11/22/03 10:40 AM Re: New PC
alchemist Offline

Loc: melbourne Australia
what kind of ram you gonna get?
is the mobo dual channel ?

i recommend getting a better vid card
also a pent 4 2.4c (what i have) overclocked
to 3.2, real stable and simple to do...
with stock voltage and stock fan/heatsink
it goes a long way
this will also save u money for a better vid card
^_~

Sponsored Links

#30354 - 11/22/03 11:16 AM Re: New PC
D347H Offline

Yee, i just wanted to go over a heap of shit on the ph, it is much easier anyway.
Instead of that motherboard (as alchemist was saying) purchase a motherboard that supports dual channel mode.
If you chose an AMD CPU chose a mobo with an NF2 chipset
If you chose an Intel CPU chose a mobo with an Intel chipset.
Still these chipsets out perform SIS or whateva.
The CPU is your decision but I use to be on Intel's side but now I'm certainly a AMD person. Both companies have reliitibely low prices on thier 32-bit range. For AMD overclocking 2700/2800xp's are the best. For P4's their all good.
From 2.4 to 3.0g Intel I herd used the same core. I don't recommend unstable overclocking and i usally don't like it at all, thier isn't much point seeing it can shorten the lifespan of ur cpu and with some surface more problems.
With the GFX 5200 prob go for something better it does depend of how much u want to spend but maybe look at a 5600.
Buy two sticks of 512mb DDR Ram for a dual chan mobo, prob aim for PC3200 sticks.
Cmon NTD as if u need 120gig's, imagine how long it would take u to fill it up lol.
Which brand is it what RPM?
You cannot use ur old case. Buy a new one they only cost between 50-100. Making sure of a min 350w PSU with a extra connectore for P4's. You'd want a new case for airflow and space plus ur old case may be a old AT PSU which with a new pc you'd req a ATX PSU.
Which model/brand is the DVD writer?
I'll hopefully be getting a friend to setup a site for purchasing hardware/soft online, only for aus clients though.
also fill me on the warrenty, conditions and labour costs if they haven't included into that price.
Catch ya

#30355 - 12/21/03 06:29 PM Re: New PC
acid45 Offline

Loc: canada
I'm prety sure the AMD's fx-51's aren't only 32-bit compatible, but their fastest 32-bit computing solution with 64-bit computing as well. Everyone's read it's features by now I hope. The only processor that outperforms this in gaming, stock no OC's, is the P4EE which Intel released after the fx-51. In the benchmarks I've read the apple g5 isn't much of a gaming or performance system but more of a quality system with the exception that it takes HALF the time to do prety much anything sound related than both the P4EE or the fx-51. [URL=http://www.maximumpc.com[/URL] is a magazine I read form time to time. Also if your serious about gaming, this site may become your bible, you might want to look into a faster hard drive and faster ram bu ttry and keep it all in prospective. If you get pc2100 ram then you don't really have the need for an on-chip memorry controller that the fx-51 boasts. However if you have a bit of cash and don't mind spending it then the faster your computer is the less lag will be gamewide since your system, and hopefully your internet conenction, can take the abuse games will give. The fx-51 was aimed to be a PC processor more than a server solution, the opteron is the AMD equivlant to 64-bit server processing.
The P4 isn't far behind at all, it even outperforms the fx-51 in some system configurations. You'd have to check the site for details if they publicly post their articles online. Manufacture sites may say different to benchmarks but since most all benchmarks give the same result with real world systems and not the manufacturer guine pigs.

I don't know how Intel's "prescot" is comming along, but Intel has said in the past they they don't think "consumers" are ready for 64-bit processing. And why not? Maybe it's Intel that isn't ready.

I had another post but I've recently bought a logitech mx700 and it has back and forward browser buttons. I hit the back button...

#30356 - 01/23/04 05:33 AM Re: New PC
mike393993 Offline

Loc: none
Sounds great, but I don't know much about Intel, I'm an AMD guy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
34758 Topics
69928 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 27920
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 306 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!