UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37484 - 01/17/03 06:42 AM MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
Digital Geek Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Linux distributor MandrakeSoft S.A. has filed for bankruptcy protection at a court in its home country of France, the company said Wednesday.

The company said a series of quarterly losses led to the filing of "declaration de cessation des paiements" but that current operations will continue including the release of version 9.1 of its software due in April.

MandrakeSoft posted a net loss of €6.1 million (US$6.0 million) on revenue of €4.7 million in the previous fiscal year, which ended in September 2002.

Read the rest here .

Sponsored Links

#37485 - 01/17/03 06:58 AM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
sinetific Offline
nobody

Loc: Ann Arbor
Good. I hate mandrake. I hope they die.

#37486 - 01/17/03 11:50 AM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
Predator Offline

Loc: Belgium
Quote:
Originally posted by sinetific:
Good. I hate mandrake. I hope they die.
now this is a very intelligent post...

#37487 - 01/17/03 01:19 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
I donno, I don't mind Mandrake too much, I like it more than redhat, eventhough its just a kiddie version of redhat lol... But I'd rather stay with Slackware or Debian .

#37488 - 01/17/03 04:39 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
sinetific Offline
nobody

Quote:
Originally posted by Predator:
now this is a very intelligent post...
Really? It wasn't supposed to be intelligent. Nice deduction there sherlock.

The post is suiting though for a 'mandrake' thread response, or at least I think so. Mandrake is like the retarded cousin of the linux family. They try to be over-user friendly in a market aimed towards computer scientists and programmers(not just userfreindly, big difference there). True its good for begginers and childrens first introduction to linux, but the simple fact stands that I don't like it and nothing will change my opinion. Just like I dont like grape jelly.

#37489 - 01/17/03 05:38 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
grape jelly is the best

#37490 - 01/17/03 05:47 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
Predator Offline

Quote:

They try to be over-user friendly in a market aimed towards computer scientists and programmers(not just userfreindly, big difference there).
Linux isn't for geeks only anymore. The time linux only was for geeks has already passed away for a long time. But still a lot of people think linux is a "nerd" only operating system. Altough you still need some intelligence to use it.

And explain to me, what is retarted about mandrake? The fact that they try to make linux userfriendly? Now what's wrong with that. And why should it be for beginners only?
If you don't like it, leave it alone, and use the "l33t" distro's, but don't moan about mandrake.

#37491 - 01/17/03 05:56 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
sinetific Offline
nobody

I do leave it alone. It's not my preference in distro's. They tried to make it a user friendly linux distro, and look they went bankrupt. There just isnt a market for userfriendly linux. It just doesent have the support and acceptance to be. Because no matter how hard you try to make it user friendly, It's just not. Sooner or later when you encounter a real problem our going to have to get down and dirty in some config file.

If it makes you happy I will never state my opinion again. Im sorry you have no sense of humor. It was meant as a joke, not "moaning".

#37492 - 01/17/03 06:21 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
Predator Offline

Almost all of the linux distro's are making great losses, mandrake isn't an exeption.
Why shouldn't there be a market for a userfriendly linux? On schools for example as a replacement for windows. And mandrake is pretty userfriendly. And yes you can't change everything with menu's and clicking, but a normal computer user would never have to go into config files.

And i do have a sense of humor.

#37493 - 01/17/03 07:43 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

Loc: OH, USA
considering that OSX is based on the linux system - uses the linux kernel - I very much think linux CAN be user friendly AND marketable. There's nothing wrong with making the system user friendly. There's nothing wrong with making programming user-friendly (VB). There's nothing wrong with using microwaves instead of a campfire.

You are entitled to your opinion but you SHOULD also respect other people's opinions and viewpoints as well as see more than a biased view on something.

#37494 - 01/23/03 02:02 AM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
I like mandrake's distro. It installs quick and easy. I could use a more "1337" distro, but why? I just want some of the linux tools and toys. I like playing in the command line, setting up and wrecking a server. Why get something harder to install that dose the same shit?

If it dosen't hit the net.... What is the security risk? I think it is often frowned upon because it is user friendly. I have noticed many (I say many not refering to anyone) people around here say "fuck windows use linux"

If you truely want linux to take over, or in anyway replace windows it will have to grow in many ways. One way is to make it more user friendly. More people will buy it and it will then continue to grow.

To anyone who "hates" Mandrake I challenge you to site specific reasons for hateing it. More than that give me some reasons that do not invole internet security for those not on the net.

#37495 - 01/23/03 04:31 AM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
sinetific Offline
nobody

Why do you care "why" I "hate" it. See, the fact is it tries to be user friendly when it't really isn't user friendly when it comes down to it. Sure you might have really colorful pretty menu's. But all the nice pictures give you a false sense of control. It's psuedo-userfriendliness. The fact it claims to natively support hardware it doesen't. I find their installer to be kind of buggy. I don't like the bundled software that comes with it. The colors it uses are unappealing to me. But see this is all just opinion. I know you use mandrake and you love it. Like I said before some people like grape jelly, some people don't. Hell, some people don't even like jelly. I don't hate windows either, I might have said it before out of momentary fury, but its great for entertainment(among other reasons).

Look, you want to challenge me to have an opinion? Theres a few reasons for you and not a one is internet security.

#37496 - 01/23/03 01:22 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
§intå× Offline

Quote:
Look, you want to challenge me to have an opinion? Theres a few reasons for you and not a one is internet security.
ROFL I knew you would say something like that. My post wasn't directed directly at you. It was directed at anyone saying Mandrake sucks. It dose have some bugs, but they are easy to work out actualy.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. Realy I'm not. I just wanted to shine a light of a different color before it turned into a

"Yea me too fest"

Any OS can be difficult. Hell even windows 9x has some advanced work if you realy wana keep your system running clean.

Anyway, Thanks for the feed back. Anyone else?

#37497 - 01/23/03 01:49 PM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
sinetific Offline
nobody

Quote:
Originally posted by in_tax:
I knew you would say something like that. My post wasn't directed directly at you.
It wasn't directed at me? Yet, while were writing it you were thinking about what my reaction would be?

I deffinately see what your saying. With the impresionable people around here the next you know everyone will hate mandrake for no other reason than the saw someone elses opinion with no evidence of their own to back it up. This comes from my own experience with Mandrake. not to mention when I purchased a boxed version an entire CD was corrupted....
Maybe it's just my bad luck. I'm sure it has been fine for millions of other users. My opinion is based on my personal experiences with this OS not because of whether its '1337' or not.

#37498 - 01/24/03 01:39 AM Re: MandrakeSoft files for bankruptcy
§intå× Offline

Quote:
This comes from my own experience with Mandrake. not to mention when I purchased a boxed version an entire CD was corrupted....
Yea that would be enough to piss me off. What version did you buy? I bought 7.2 and 8.0 But down loaded 9.0

7.2 used GRUB as a boot loader and I had issues with it. 8.0 I had no problems with other that total n00b still. 9.0 is sleek sexy and I now know a considerable amout more than I did. Still consider myself a n00b untill I am modifying the kernel on my own. For that I need to learn C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36259 Topics
71429 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29420
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 355 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!