UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38108 - 12/13/02 12:43 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
sinetific Offline
nobody

Loc: Ann Arbor
It's all about the hydrogen fuel cells, as far as fuel.

Sponsored Links

#38109 - 12/14/02 11:35 AM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

Loc: Underground
so are there also gonna be gass stations in the sky ? lol

#38110 - 12/14/02 09:25 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
unreal Offline

Loc: KCRQ
Actually, that brings up a good point. If a person runs out of gas in a car, they pull over. Run out of gas in the air? You're coming down whether you like it or not. Pilots are trained to configure the aircraft for maximum glide, choose a landing spot, and successfully execute a dead stick landing. But what about your average person?

#38111 - 12/16/02 03:45 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

yeah right.. and unreal i wanna ask you something since i know you're pretty good in these things..

is it possiable for an air plane to run out of gas (or whatever it uses) in the air ?? what would happend ?

and a question i wanted to know long time ago..

They say that for example, if the plane would damage or something well dunno.. but lets say that the pilot has jumped from the plane you know... to survive, then people say that pilots have some kinda food with them that helps with to stay alive for weeks and that's not normal food, it's something different.. like pills and so on.. you know what i'm talking about ?

i know it sounds stupid but i just wanna know..

#38112 - 12/16/02 06:01 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Pretty simple realy, Don't run out of fule, it might kill you. Gas stations send a becon signal that cars pick up. Might be also that flying cars are limited to a certain altitude that would not end fataly. Maybe say 10 to 50 feet in the air.

Gas stations get in with onstar or some crap like that. It can all be worked out I assure you. We never used to drive. We never used to fly. We will continue to advance even if some of you do not want to. If not a flying car today, then maybe next year, or the decade after. But you can count on it comeing. With every major invention there will be new laws, rules and much infastructure needed to support it.

Think it not possible? in the early 80's there was no internet, no UGN Security. It was Arpanet, you dialed in to collage servers. Think of everything that supports the net. That happened in about 1 decade. Less actualy. say 1985 to 1995.

Look at cars in general. somewhere in the early 1800's I think they were born. The Modle "T".

There were no roads like there are today. Assphault, gas station, rest stop, fast food, shoulder of the road, traffic light, road signs, driver license, license plate, head lights, auto shops, factories, parts shops, car wash, onstar, computers, T.V.'s in the seat, and on and on and on.

IF these cars are built to hover that leaves much flexibility as far as fuleing options. Millitary fules in flight all the time.

#38113 - 12/16/02 07:03 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
unreal Offline

bp: Absolutely it's possible for an aircraft to run out of gas. Some airplanes are able to glide very well, others not so well. As I said, in the case of fuel exhaustion, we're taught to configure the airplane for maximum glide distance, and pick a spot to do an off-airport landing. Contrary to popular belief, most airplanes glide quite well. The aircraft that I initially earned my pilot's license in (a Cessna 172), when configured for glide properly, maintained about a 500 foot-per-minute descent. If you were flying at 10,000 feet over land that was at sea level, you'd have 20 whole minutes to decide what you're going to do.

That airplane had a very good glide ratio. The aircraft I'm flying right now, a PA-44 Seminole (twin engine), has those big ol' engines on the wings that cause a lot of drag if they're both dead. That thing doesn't glide so well if they both die.

Almost forgot... most airplanes you see flying (propeller driven, piston airplanes) run off of 100 Octane leaded fuel. Jets use Jet-A, which is a form of Kerosene.

And your question on food for survival. We have survival kits in the back of the plane in case of an emergency. Basically it's just food, water, flashlight, matches, etc. I'm not sure about those pills...maybe that's a military thing.

#38114 - 12/16/02 07:36 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Nah we gave our guys MRE's (Meal Ready to eat). A meal packed with extra vitamins, calaries and so one. All soldiers eat them in field enviroment. 1 can give you a healthy diet for 3 days. So grab 5 and you are pretty good.

I used to ride on CH-47 helicopters in the Army. They don't glide at all. That is the one that looks like a school bus in the sky with 2 sets of blades on the top. Had a couple close calls in Nicaragua during a huricane relief mission. But I'm here to tell about it.

#38115 - 12/16/02 09:33 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
CyberNerd Offline

Loc: Here
anyone else look at the pics of the flying car...didnt look like much of a glider to me
http://www.moller.com/skycar/

#38116 - 12/16/02 09:41 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
unreal Offline

4 engines? Hah...I'd like to see a normal person use that successfully.

Think about what happens if you were to lose a single engine. The yawing and rolling tendency into the dead engine would throw this thing out of control. Airplanes have rudders and ailerons that have the leverage to counteract this loss of control tendency. The stubby wings that are on this "sky car" wouldn't do a thing in the event of an engine failure.

#38117 - 12/16/02 11:00 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
Drake Offline
UGN Member

Loc: Long Beach, California
I wonder what the price would be for that thing. It says a $5,000 deposit. How long have you been flying for unreal?

#38118 - 12/16/02 11:18 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
unreal Offline

Overall, just a little over a year. *shrugs*

#38119 - 12/17/02 12:01 AM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
fleshwound Offline

Loc: CO
wtf.. my car already has the capability to fly. where the hell have you guys been? hahahaha

#38120 - 12/17/02 05:47 AM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

hey unreal, thanks so much about the explanations now i do understand.. and about the food thing i probably heard about what sin_tax said MRE's...
anyway it's really interesting, i always liked aircrafts and helicopters but i never had a chance to learn about em more or something and dunno maybe i will in the future.

btw unreal, now that you have a license, could you be able to "ride" on an F-16 ?

P.S. Once i used to ride with an Apache helicopter with KFOR soldiers... damnit, it was so cool.

#38121 - 12/17/02 09:19 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
unreal Offline

Technically I have most of the qualifications to fly an F-16. My qualifications are "Private Pilot: Airplane Single Engine Land," which is precisely what an F-16 is. However, one would most likely need a type rating in that airplane.

#38122 - 12/18/02 06:47 PM Re: Flying Cars By The End Of The Decade?
Drake Offline
UGN Member

Loc: Long Beach, California
lol, that'd be great Unreal. Walk up to a military base, falsh your license, "Yes I'm gonna have to take out the F-16 for a quick spin..."

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36285 Topics
71455 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29446
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 303 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!