59-year-old Luis Picaso has been badly burned when a cell phone ignited in his pants pocket. His nylon and polyester clothes caught alight and he suffered burns to his upper body, right arm, and right leg. He is in a stable condition in hospital.
The fire was contained by sprinklers after a chair also ignited. Emergency workers found Picaso on the floor in the bathroom of his hotel room with second- and third-degree burns to over half his body.
Between the fire and the sprinkler system approximately $75,000 damage was done to the building. So far authorities are refusing to release any details about the malfunctioning phone including what model it is and which company manufactured it.Source