UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#547 - 10/31/04 11:47 PM Got Bugged
Defcon Offline
Ass Clown

Loc: 508 or 207
Well, I've now seen one of the most pain in the ass virus/malware/spyware asshole I have ever dealt with.

The first symptoms were that my start page for any of my webbrowsers was changed to some search site, after running spybot the problem seemed like it was cleared up, but later it came back. This thing also caused a lot of random pop ups telling me I have spyware on my system, and wanting me to pay for their spyware remover. Also it's interesting to note that after a half hour I'm getting low virtual memory warnings and my computer is slow and laggy, So much so that programs would close all on there own and refuse to open because of lack of memory. A Virus scan reveilled a ton of infected system files so I know something was buggy there too.

This goes on for a few days, partially due to lack of time to sit down and deal with it, and I download Hijackthis! and start clearing house on my Add/Remove Programs. I find a ton of nasty little buggers and clean those off, but I still had lag and the homepage take overs. I find this program called WebPatrol. Within moments it alerts me to some random .dll file, I run Hijackthis to see if it sees it too, it id's itself as an IE Addon btw, and it does, it also sees it spawned a BHO. Looking at my logs I see that on two other occasions a randomly named dll in C:\Windows\System32 have also been spawned and created BHO's, and these are the guys hijacking my homepage. I think I got this thing cornered but I can't seem to find the main bug spawning these dll's. Anyone experiance anything similar or have any idea where this thing could be hiding?

Here are the programs I've been using
Lavasoft Ad-aware 6
latest version of Spybot
Trendmirco online virus scanner and Antivir XP
WinPatrol
Hijackthis!

Thanks, I so wanna kill this fucker!

Sponsored Links

#548 - 11/01/04 08:28 AM Re: Got Bugged
jonconley Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: Merrill, IA, USA
I have a lot of service calls pertaining to such problems. There was a nasty one similar to what you were talking about, it was one of my few service calls that lasted over 1hr. Lasted about 3 I think, and it was a huge PITA to get rid of.

Could you give the names of what the programs found it as, and also the filenames of DLLs (unless random). Seems one of those programs usually has a manual removal link if they can't remove it, and that is what I have had to do a few times.

If anything google the virus/spyware name along w/ say "manual removal" and follow instructions.

#549 - 11/01/04 08:10 PM Re: Got Bugged
Spyrios Offline
UGN Member

Loc: VA
Have you tried going through regedit to remove any keys that have the name of your probelm?
Apostrophe T, need this torture?-They Might Be Giants

#550 - 11/02/04 03:23 AM Re: Got Bugged
Ice Offline
UGN News Staff

Loc: Canada
that happened to my Gateway computer, i think my problem was a nasty virus. It removed My Computer so i couldnt access it.

Had to reformat I hate people that write this shit.

-Picasso

#551 - 11/02/04 05:45 AM Re: Got Bugged
Defcon Offline
Ass Clown

Loc: 508 or 207
Well I cleaned up everything but I'm still infested with the deadly Win32.netsup.A Bug and I can't find any free virus stuff that will help put the son of a bitch down.

#552 - 11/02/04 03:14 PM Re: Got Bugged
Spyrios Offline
UGN Member

PestPatrol

I'm sure you tried this but here it is anyway.

#553 - 11/02/04 04:42 PM Re: Got Bugged
Girlie Offline
UGN Super Poster

Loc: In your dad's bed...
I had that problem awhile back, I think this is what I used to finally get rid of it. PcdocRX

<sintax>
No we do not!!!!
</sintax>

#554 - 11/02/04 05:04 PM Re: Got Bugged
Ice Offline
UGN News Staff

Loc: Canada
the thing that i hate the most is when your computer is about to die and needs a reformat.

You search the internet for free tools that help remove the viruses and worms.

You find one that seems very promising and you download it. You open it and figure out its not really free and all it does is scan the computer, find the viruses, but the remove and quarantine are blocked and you need to purchase a full version to remove what the program found.

-Picasso

#555 - 11/02/04 07:41 PM Re: Got Bugged
Spyrios Offline
UGN Member

I use Avast Antivirus on my laptop, it's free and updated regularly. It is full featured.

#556 - 11/10/04 06:11 PM Re: Got Bugged
Erik Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I posted something simalar to this in the cool web search thread.
Go to the http://www.nod32.com and download the free trial version of it and run it. It will detect and remove 95% of the trojan/virus's out today.
If you do not want to install the program there are seperate removal tools there you can download for free.
Good luck.

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
35153 Topics
70323 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 28315
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 477 Guests and 343 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!