UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7 - 12/03/03 02:25 PM Power Over Ethernet
? Offline
UGN Member

they used to say that if you wanted your computer to be safe you should turn it off. well, thats not true anymore. now you can turn things on over the inernet.

I'm not sure how new this is to everyone. It was new to me since I've been gone from computers for a year or so. Today I ws going through the BIOS on my new laptop and I saw a setting that made me look twice. It was about allowing my comp to be turned on remotly through an ethernet connection. Now again, I'm not sure if this is new to you guys, but to me it was a little shocking. Luckly the default BIOS setup had it disabled. Right now 802.11af is being finalized and could be passed, if not already, very shortly. It would allow devices to get power from a cat5 cable so companies would not have to run AC cables to their APs. Now, we all know how secure wireless it, rite?

I don't know, maybe it's just me (a paranoid caffeine addict), but the idea of somebody being able to turn on my laptop while I'm sleeping is a little freaky. There's a lot of info on this site if you want to read up on it a little more.

http://poweroverethernet.com/

Sponsored Links

#8 - 12/03/03 05:33 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
sinetific Offline
nobody

Loc: Ann Arbor
WOL(wake on lan) and WOR(wake on ring) have been around for a long time. I don't think those options have any thing to do with 802.3af or 802.11af(could be wrong).
Now power over ethernet is something I've never heard of and it looks extremely interesting. I'm still reading over some of thier papers to try and learn more about how this would work, but from first glance it looks nice. I see it requires a unique 802.3af compatible power supply and im guess a compliant network card too. I wonder if they had any problems with magnetic fields from the transformers messing with hardrives or other opertions inside the machine. Another question is if it will be able to supply a power hog like a 21 inch CRT too.

#9 - 12/04/03 02:28 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
WoL and WoR are very old and extremely secure protocol's... They both work dependant on the device you're using... (WoL on an Ethernet card, WoR on a modem).

I have an article up at http://archives.undergroundnews.com/ for you to look at involving WoL.

#10 - 12/10/03 02:20 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
david_isis Offline

i think the best protecle to go with is cisco as i know this because my uncle works for them

#11 - 12/10/03 06:43 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by david_isis:
i think the best protecle to go with is cisco as i know this because my uncle works for them
Cisco is a company; they make routers and various internet appliences; their not a protocol.

#12 - 12/10/03 06:45 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Ghost Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
lol and yeah btw david you spelled something wrong again.

/me points to "protecle"

#13 - 12/10/03 09:42 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Cisco is actualy a protocol. It is an LMI type in frame relay. You can set your CSU/DSU to send Cisco protocol as opposed to something like ansi Annex D. We use it in my line of work every day. The protocol was named Cisco because it is often used in Cisco routers with CSU/DSU's built in.

http://www.protocols.com/pbook/frame.htm
Quote:

Manufacturers LMI defines a generic Frame Relay service based on PVCs for interconnecting DTE devices with Frame Relay network equipment. In addition to the ANSI standard, Manufacturers LMI includes extensions and LMI functions and procedures. Manufacturers LMI uses DLCI 1023.
LMI is a keep alive poll between the telco's switch and the end users CSU

#14 - 12/10/03 10:23 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Learner, I hate you...

#15 - 12/10/03 10:42 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Infinite Offline

Loc: Canada eh
Erm, no. LMI is a protocol. Cisco is a sub-type of that protocol, as is ANSI and Q9333. Just like cisco has it's own versions of HDLC and frame relay encapsulation (HDLC is vendor specific for any given implementation of it, and the other frame relay encapsulation is IETF).

So no, Cisco is an equipment manufacturer and not a protocol.

Infinite

#16 - 12/10/03 12:09 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
alchemist Offline

Loc: melbourne Australia

#17 - 12/10/03 12:30 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Ghost Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
heh i have the network card they listed. anyway i used to use WOL when i wanted to remotely manage the laptop from my desktop using my WAP. It was pretty cool and it saved me a lot of time.

#18 - 12/10/03 01:28 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinite:
Erm, no. LMI is a protocol. Cisco is a sub-type of that protocol, as is ANSI and Q9333. Just like cisco has it's own versions of HDLC and frame relay encapsulation (HDLC is vendor specific for any given implementation of it, and the other frame relay encapsulation is IETF).

Infinite
I love you! lol

#19 - 12/13/03 03:28 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:

Infinite
Infinite , nothing but love for you man. Truely and honestly! However you are wrong. LMI is a term used to descript the portion of the frame the LMI will travle on. I have worked with Frame Relay, ATM, SMDS, FIDDI, and TLS for the past 3 years.

Please do not make me post proof as I do not feel like typing that much crap no one else in here will care about.

ANSI ANNEX -D is the most common Line protocol(LMI) used.

Cisco(LMI Rev1) is the second most used.

Cisco is LMI revision 1. I do have some documentation from our lucent switches if we are to debate this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
Quote:

Infinite
I love you! lol
No Gizmo, you are still hating me..

#20 - 12/13/03 08:17 PM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

damnit, why does my gay new yaka lover have to always bid himself up in public!

#21 - 12/16/03 11:58 AM Re: Power Over Ethernet
Masked_Bandit Offline

POE or 802.11af has nothing to do with WOL. It is used to power devices such as VOIP phones and wireless access points. It is great for these devices because it is much cheaper than putting in electrical outletts but it does not have the power to run a computer in the current state of the technology. I could see how it could be used to suplement the battery or charge the battery of a laptop or something like that.

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2145 Members
46 Forums
33386 Topics
68553 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 10:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 26549
Gremelin 7192
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Jimmie Menon, fghijk435948, Devo60, ali, lavos
2147 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 641 Guests and 336 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!