UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7753 - 10/22/02 02:14 AM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

Loc: Underground
Quote:
Originally posted by Curse:
jaytwiller
DO NOT post another reply and use all capital(upper case) letters or else your account will be suspended.
finally !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Moffesto:
first thing i learned was html, and I haven't found anything as enjoyable as webdesign.
you're hell right Moff, there's nuttin more enjoable as webdesign, i like designing grahpics a lot, especially banners !!!

bp

Sponsored Links

#7754 - 10/22/02 06:51 AM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
Energy Offline

Well here goes a different perspective for you from the computer science world. Learn 2 languages at the same time, but for totally different reasons.

1. Learn shell scripting. Preferably sh or bash. Avoid csh or tcsh, these shells are made for interactive use. I have 2 reasons for suggesting this (everything comes in 2's in the computer world):

a. Everything in Unix is a file. Modems, directories, video, sound cards, input, output, error streams, etc. Once you learn and understand this, and how to access these at a low level, Unix becomes easier. While doing this you will learn the difference between good and bad operating system design.

b. No matter how glossy a frontend they put on Unix (i.e. K Desktop, Gnome, etc.) the nuts and bolts are on the command line. You learn how to use things like vi, sort, cut, test, nslookup, dig, whois, grep, sed, awk, sendmail, telnet, ftp, kermit, x,y, and zmodem, etc. while learning how to tie these commands together into scripts. Because so few people today in the Windows world have this skill today you quickly earn respect for this knowledge. It is also easier to start in the Unix world and move to the Windows world than vice versa. Most people in the Windows world never escape it, and because of it have a harder time understanding things outside of Windows. Could you imagine being an email administrator and not understanding how smtp works, or how to setup a DHCP server but not have a clue about DNS? That is the norm in most IT departments.

To do this you don't need a personal Unix machine. Instead, find a free shell account. The object is not to learn how to install Unix, but what you can really do at the command prompt. Once you have explored and become proficient in this area installing, and understanding the install (i.e. what /dev/hda is) becomes a no-brainer.

2. For your second programming language start with Perl. I again have 2 reasons why I chose Perl:

a. The Perl syntax is very similar to php, c/c++, and tcl. Once you learn the basic syntax the real objective to programming (which I'll discuss in section b) becomes much clearer. I recommend you run your 1st Perl on a Windows system, because the help system is far superior than having to dig around on the web looking for answers, and the best modules are already installed on the Windows version. The object is to learn Perl, not how to install it. Get your copy from http://www.activestate.com

Avoid doing any Perl/WWW programming, just learn Perl. The reason I recommended Perl is bacause you don't need to spend your time configuring a web server, learning how to compile or run an application (make is a job in itself), etc. You can begin programming your 1st day.

b. The real objective to programming is not learning a certain language, but how to program. You want to learn the algorithms that are available (i.e. looping, recursion, pass by value, OOD, sorting, trees, lists, etc.) Once you learn these then any language you chose becomes one of learning the syntax and what the particular language's strengths and weaknesses are. I would never parse a text file in C, because this is Perl's and Cobol's strengths. If I want a quick dynamic web page I'd look at PHP or Perl. If I needed a very fast sorting algorithm I'd lean toward C++ with its builtin standard library.

I don't claim to be an expert in any language, it is not my job to program. But I can and have written many large programs in different languages by looking at a book for the syntax. These include Cobol, Fortran, C/C++, VB (including VBScript and ASP), Perl, PHP, Tcl/Tk/Expect, Rebol, and probably others I have forgotten. Ask me the syntax of most of those languages and I will stare at you with a glazed look in my eyes, because I only recall them when I really need them.

If you decide in the future to make programming your career then chose a language you really enjoy, find a job using it, and tear it apart until you know every aspect of it.

#7755 - 10/22/02 02:45 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
DaMaRiS Offline

Loc: New York City
First thing I learned was html too. By the way am I the ONLY 13 year old in here!

#7756 - 10/22/02 03:09 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
don't remind us

#7757 - 10/22/02 03:30 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

i bet she doesn't know HTML either, she's just saying so huh !!!

P.S. BS does TN mean TORONTO or what ?

#7758 - 10/22/02 04:06 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
Curse Offline

Enforcement Admin

Loc: San Andreas
Wow, DaMaris is a 13 year old who is in a gang, wants to hack, knows HTML, but cannot give her cell phone number to sin so he can add minutes to her account, because her daddy will get angry...

#7759 - 10/22/02 04:10 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

hehehe

#7760 - 10/22/02 04:11 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
unreal Offline

Loc: KCRQ
Tennessee

#7761 - 10/22/02 04:12 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

oh thanks unreal !!

#7762 - 10/23/02 04:01 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
DaMaRiS Offline

Loc: New York City
Curse u are right my dad is a very cruel person and as weird as my life may sound that is the way it is. By the way. Howcome when i always interfere in a topic or create a new one its gets closed i mean what i say is real!

#7763 - 10/23/02 04:15 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
what you say tends to be idiotic, no one has a problem helping you, but look around at the type of questions that are being asked. don't ask questions dealing with illegal acts, etc. i don't mean that in an offensive way, just advice

#7764 - 10/23/02 04:24 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
Curse Offline

Enforcement Admin

Loc: San Andreas
Yes, I do agree with BackSlash... One other thing is that your posts tend to sound a tad 'far-fetched'...

#7765 - 10/23/02 08:18 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter

Loc: Kuntucky
fuck, we always tend to change a subject into a argument that has nothign to do w/ the original subject. lol

#7766 - 10/24/02 02:20 AM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
black^Pimp Offline
UGN GFX Whore

i agree with BS too, she's reallyyy anoyyin.

btw guys, i'm sorry but i have to go a bit off topic now, i need some explanations ok..

I thought i knew what "WIRED" and "WEIRD" meant, but now i see them used in different places if you know what i mean, so i'm confused now.

could one of you guys please explain the difference in a simple way.

thanks

bp

#7767 - 10/24/02 01:45 PM Re: What is the best programming language to learn first?
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter

Loc: Kuntucky
wired = high on a stimulant such as Amphetamine, Methamphetamine or Cocaine; feeling stimulated.

weird= not normal, strange

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36290 Topics
71460 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29451
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 304 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!