UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8306 - 05/15/03 09:20 PM algorythm
Ntd Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
What are algorythm? and how are they used?

Sponsored Links

#8307 - 05/15/03 09:48 PM Re: algorythm
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
Well... an algorithm is really a step-by-step sequence used to solve a specific task or problem. This doesn't have anything to do with computers, though it can. For example, you use an algorithm every morning (I hope). You wake up and go, "Hey, my breath is kickin. How do I stop that?" Well the problem is makin your breath all nice and fresh. Now you develop an algorithm to solve it. Mine looks somethin like this:
Go into the bathroom.
Grab my toothbrush
Throw some toothpaste on it
Brush for a while
If my mouth is nice and clean, spit the paste out
or keep brushing
Rinse out with some water

Problem solved. So it's just a sequence of events used to solve a problem. Often it contains iterations (keep brushing my teeth) and decisions (if my mouth is clean, I can stop). Of course this is applied to computers because we use computers to solve real world problems. An algorithm is just defined in a certain programming language, rather than this thing that resembles English I used.

You, however, are probably more interested in algorithms used to generate CD keys, judging from the post I locked a few days ago. I'll leave you with all I said, along with this: Companies have a problem, and that's how to keep people from illegally using software. So they come up with an algorithm for determining valid keys. It's kind of like a hasing algorithm, where a certain value will always generate the same output. If you want to know more about cryptographic algorithms in general (which you should), check out http://kremlinencrypt.com/crypto/index.html

#8308 - 05/16/03 12:13 AM Re: algorythm
Ntd Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Thanks, will do!

#8309 - 05/20/03 02:30 AM Re: algorythm
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Here is a site with tons of links about computer algarithms and computer theory.

http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~kirk/algorithmcourses/

And as pergesu said similarly before

A formula or set of steps for solving a particular problem. To be an algorithm, a set of rules must be unambiguous and have a clear stopping point. Algorithms can be expressed in any language, from natural languages like English or French to programming languages like FORTRAN.
We use algorithms every day. For example, a recipe for baking a cake is an algorithm. Most programs, with the exception of some artificial intelligence applications, consist of algorithms. Inventing elegant algorithms -- algorithms that are simple and require the fewest steps possible -- is one of the principal challenges in programming.

#8310 - 06/06/03 07:50 PM Re: algorythm
Titanium Fox Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
1 word:

Mathematica

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
35109 Topics
70279 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 28271
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 425 Guests and 283 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!