UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8998 - 05/25/02 09:19 PM my os and comp?!?!/
Grifter Offline

Loc: Who is this?
im looking to get a new comp, and i heard that for anything remotly "fun" windows sux total a**! somone help me out with details on OS's and what best works for them, i know i could go read a bunch of text philes but when i finaly get there my add kicks in and i skip half the phile, heh so just help me out plz

Sponsored Links

#8999 - 05/25/02 10:34 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
sinetific Offline
nobody

Loc: Ann Arbor
Uh what's fun?
Windows is a versitile operating system with the broadest range of applications. If games are fun then this is a good OS cause its got the most by far. Its the most user-friendly.

Macs are good for artistic develoopement. Ive never really used them for anything else. Since Ive been hardcore into technology. But if digital art is fun this is your OS.

Linux is the most configurable and customizable OS but its the least userfriendly. Its for programmers and people who really know what there doing. Its fun if you enjoy reading millions of pages of technical data. It's not fun at first it doesent get fun until you master it and that takes a long time.

Everyone feel free to disagree with me.

#9000 - 05/26/02 12:36 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Go with slackware (or redhat) and then install Wine/Winex or Win4Lin and your problem solved, use almost any windows program in nix...

#9001 - 05/26/02 10:27 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Grifter Offline

[Shit] uhhh ok ???? how would i do that do i just tell the guy at gateway i want a comp with linux or somthin or do i have to do it my self??

#9002 - 05/26/02 11:27 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

buy the computer, bring it home, take your recovery cd's and send them back to gateway stating "I do not wish to use your microsoft software, please refund me" and theil send you like $100-$200 back, then download slackware http://www.slackware.com or i'll download it and send it to you for $10, then install that bitch and you're done... for the most part...

#9003 - 05/26/02 12:42 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Grifter Offline

whats the diff between slackware and mandrake?? any advantages to one, any [?] disadvantages?

#9004 - 05/26/02 02:44 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
sinetific Offline
nobody

Loc: Ann Arbor
Yeah, you know, just install slackware, its soo easy. heh.

The difference is in the name, the propriatary software included and the ease of instalation. Slackware is more stable and secure than mandrake but 100 times more difficult to use for someone used to windows. If your new to linux go with redhat or mandrake until you get a feel for the system then go to the better versions like slack debian or onto *BSD

#9005 - 05/31/02 02:14 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
caffeine Offline

http://www.gamepc.com <-- high end dual boot gaming sytems

#9006 - 05/31/02 02:15 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
caffeine Offline

Oh, and you cant tell the guy @ gateway to do it. If you want to learn anything at all, do it yourself. Figure it out. Dont have some fucking bitch at gateway or something do it for you. If you ever want to learn how to do it or how to have "fun" without getting caught, do it for yourself.

#9007 - 05/31/02 11:54 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
I wouldn't say that linux is just for hard core programmers anymore. Certainly that's how it started, but now it's become much more user friendly. Anyway, the differences between Mandrake and Red Hat and Slackware are in the user friendliness. Mandrake is based on RH, it just has some different software. Both RH and Mandrake come with a bunch of software and utilities for doing everything from word processing and games to maintaining your system. Slackware requires you to rely a bit more on yourself. There aren't many utilities to maintain your system, you have to hand edit all the config files. In my opinion, this is a good thing,
because you learn the most about your system.

What OS to go with depends on your definition of fun. As sinetific said, Windows is awesome for games, Mac is the way to go for imaging and video, and unix is good for learning a whole bunch about how computers actually work. So it all depends on what you want to do.

I'd say set up a dual-boot system with Win2k and RH.

#9008 - 06/01/02 11:30 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
hKzKnight Offline

Loc: LAN
Well again, up to you what OS you want. Think you can learn linux, up to the battle? Your can't use your old win progs, unless you get an emulator.. They got a bunch of em though. I'll get into that in my forum perhaps... If you want to start with linix, go with Mandrake. It is favored a lot by people starting for the first time.

I'm not sure if they are still around but try http://www.penguincomputing.com and dell may still have their linux service up... Give em a try (I take dell over gateway neway).

#9009 - 06/02/02 02:06 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

fuck that, go with Wine and WinEX or win4lin and you can run just about anything in linux...

#9010 - 06/02/02 05:15 AM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Dartur Offline
UGN Newbie

Loc: Sweden
umh, that would be the most powerful thing to do but not by far the easiest... It's all up to you if you're ready for the challenge [Shit]

#9011 - 06/14/02 02:33 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Grifter Offline

thanks, i think ill try mandrake or slack if i feel dareing. i was wondering if i need a certain prgram to veiw any kind of pic or somthing, i donno i cant see anything on a telnet prompt, is it anyhitng like that? [Shit] [?]

#9012 - 06/14/02 03:13 PM Re: my os and comp?!?!/
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

lol if you're planning on using it as just your OS it has a GUI heh... Telnet/SSH/etc are remote administration user interfaces.

Xwindows is just as graphical as MS Windows, just cant run windows shit without some work, but its well worth it in the long run. In fact when i get my new HD i'm going to be dual booting Slackware 8.0 and WinXP and configuring win4lin (windows in a window, uNF) and i'll strictly be in slackware all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
35191 Topics
70361 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 28353
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 438 Guests and 321 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!