UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10002 - 01/10/03 09:15 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

Loc: TN
i'm saying that moving from qbasic to visual basic 6 or before would be easier than trying to go from qbasic to visualbasic.net

Sponsored Links

#10003 - 01/10/03 11:45 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
I think Java is definitely the language to learn. It's fairly simple to learn, it's powerful, doesn't allow common programming errors you may write in C/C++, secure, and portable. For tutorials, resources, and discussion check out my site. http://www.javaspot.net

#10004 - 01/11/03 03:29 AM Re: learning to program what language first?
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

Loc: OH, USA
java is also slower than C/C++ and uses more resources and should be avoided if at all possible IMHO. Shoot I may even consider java slower than VB.

#10005 - 01/11/03 09:17 AM Re: learning to program what language first?
pergesu Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Pimpin the Colorizzle
Are you kidding? Sure it's slower than C/C++, but not noticably unless you're writing apps that require ultra-high performance. With the resources available to computers today, the overhead is negligible. I'm not one for bloated code, but Java code gets compiled cleanly and runs on any OS. Sure, programs use more resources than C programs, but it's that way with any language other than assembly and there are enough available resources that it doesn't matter. As for speed and resource usage, it's good enough that amazon.com uses servlets as the backend. Google did a massive study on the different technologies, spending about 50k in determining what they should use. They ended up going with PHP with the IonCube Accellarator, because the servers they run are FreeBSD and threads support on FreeBSD isn't that great.

There's no way java is slower than VB. Profile equivalent programs and the java one will be a lot faster. The MFC overhead is just too great in VB, though it's still not noticeable to the average person.

#10006 - 01/30/03 11:52 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
Ice Offline
UGN News Staff

Loc: Canada
I think i am ganna start learning Visual Basic, The windows Version. It looks almost exactly the same as Qbasic but a little more complicated and a little more commands. What is VB actually used for mostley ?? I know alot of the Trojans out there are made in VB

-Picasso

#10007 - 01/31/03 01:04 AM Re: learning to program what language first?
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

Loc: OH, USA
Well, I just did a speed test. This test did not involve the use of objects. All I did was loop from 0 to 10 million. Within the loop I incremented a long variable by one. Here's the results:

VB: 672 milliseconds
Java: 47 milliseconds
C: 16 milliseconds

This next test has to do with the fact java is forced to use objects, while VB and C may use the API. Again, we have a loop going from 0 to 10 million. However, this time within the loop, we have a single line where we store the system tick count into a long variable. (Java: System.currentTimeMillis)

VB: 1094 milliseconds
Java: 1313 milliseconds
C: 94 milliseconds

Conclusion. C kicks ass. Java as a language is faster than VB. VB's access to API's makes it capable of going faster than Java.

Also, in response to pergesu's popular argument concerning speed and system resources. I don't give a damn how fast you are. When it comes to intensive code, such as compression, encryption, sorting large lists, or anything that involves a heck of a lot of data, - the faster the better. The faster our computers get, the higher our demands become, so things are kept in balance.

#10008 - 01/31/03 02:30 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
Kickfoot Offline

#10009 - 02/01/03 08:52 AM Re: learning to program what language first?
Scalli0n Offline

OK, Here's the DL on programming languages:

1. C++ is great - there's minor differences b/t ANSI C++ and VC (MS) C++, just the same as GNU (G++) has it's differences. It's a fast, good language that most exploits are written in - so you can do something other than print out exploits and pretend to read them.

2. Java is not slower than C++. The Virtual Machine that's installed on your system. On some systems, it's faster, on others, it's slower. And, it depends on what VM you install; embedded devices use Micro Runtime Edition or something like that. It's damn fast, but limited. J2RE is also PDQ. Writing your code tightly and efficiently is also a must. Java is good because it's 100% portable 99% of the time.

3. Perl/PHP - Not similiar at all, but often grouped together. Perl is a scripting/sysadmin language (IMO) which is unsuited for the internet. It's hideous to read too. PHP, on the other hand is secure, fast as hell, free, and interfaces well with common databases. Just one problem: bad coding habits are easy to pick up with this language. Watch out. (i.e. register_global, non-strict datatypes)

4. HTML/JavaScript/DHTML - These should be a whiz to learn after the above 3; you'll get the hang of it if you've been programming as long as I have.

Also, common languages (Ruby being determined as "common") always have tutorials on the web. Use google. PageRank actually works.

#10010 - 02/01/03 09:20 AM Re: learning to program what language first?
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
YES, our bbs is not suited for the internet!!

#10011 - 02/01/03 05:48 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
Scalli0n Offline

In my opinion, no.

Perl was designed as a scripting language primarily - it was hacked and kludged to be used with the internet.

#10012 - 02/02/03 02:16 PM Re: learning to program what language first?
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Perl was designed by some dumb fuck who needed to do his taxes lol...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2145 Members
46 Forums
33352 Topics
68519 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 10:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 26515
Gremelin 7192
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Jimmie Menon, fghijk435948, Devo60, ali, lavos
2147 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 688 Guests and 309 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!