UGN Security
Posted By: Flowbe1 Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/06/04 11:46 AM
I'm curious to know........I recently read a forum where a college student was behind a recently installed firewall and now wasn't able to access certain sites he was able to access before.....in reply to his situation people suggested "tunneling" or something like that. Recently i've "yahooed" the word around on the web and of course I came up with ipsec tunneling which i'm familar with(the protocol IPSEC I mean), but I also came across a topic on "ssh tunneling" and it said,

"SSH is a powerful daemon that can do much more than simply log you into a server. One particularly useful function it provides is tunneling, whereby you can connect a client on your computer to a remote server and run a service you might not otherwise be able to access"

which of course breifly answers my question but I wanted to know how it can be implemented and get ya'lls fill on it. You guys seem to know your [censored]!

Much appreciated

Flowbe1

p.s. sorry if i seem to be flooding your forum with novice posts.

p.p.s To prevent me from posting AGAIN! I just want to say/ask: I can get to a target, but once i'm there how do I crack/get passed the password protected authentication(how do I crack the password if possible?) I am a novice able and willing to learn........................................................................... ................................................................................ ......
Posted By: ? Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/07/04 07:46 AM
I never really was forced to tunnel bout if you really want to do SSH tunneling here is a link to the best program to do it with. It's a perl script so you will need to have perl installed (on windows downlo ActiveState's Perl package. it's free). This is by far the best one out there IMO. Also, the guy could jus try to open a secure connection (https://) which basically does the same thing. In my college they got a lot of websites blocked and I can reach bout 75% of them this way.

about your p.p.s: that's a good question. let me know when you find out.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/07/04 09:02 AM
SSL is an installed service; they have to setup their certificate. Not everywhere has it...
Posted By: Flowbe1 Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/07/04 10:31 AM
So.....wheres the link bro?
Posted By: weeve Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/07/04 12:30 PM
so you want a link, ask for a link. specificity is divine.

"which of course breifly answers my question but I wanted to know how it can be implemented and get ya'lls fill on it. You guys seem to know your [censored]!" I thought you wanted to know how it can be implemented, and get us all's fill on it? smile But then we could have a long bla bla bla. Or I could just plug...

Plug

Plug 2

hope that helps.
Posted By: Flowbe1 Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/07/04 11:20 PM
UGN Poser was like, "I never really was forced to tunnel bout if you really want to do SSH tunneling here is a link to the best program to do it with" but no link followed, and "Get ya'lls fill on it" implies-anything you guys have to offer on the subject. But thanks weeve those links seem like they will be VERY helpful
Posted By: weeve Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/08/04 11:25 AM
heh you said bro, It could of been to giz or ugn poser ;/ that's why I said about that. Because giz was talking on SSL. Anyway the whole ya'lls fill on it thing, seemed to me to be about wanting to know about ssh tunneling. One can do something, but if you know little about it, you obviously lose out on a lot. I was pointing out that you could learn alot from listening to people's suggestions rather then what programs they give. Because in time you will tailor your own ways of wanting, your own likes, and your own answers:)

But yea I hope their helpful, I tried to be specific on finding what would help on a basic to advanced level, and what would not just teach you ssh tunneling but more. Heh the whole definition on what you said was just to show you how I was hearing it. Just friendly help on posting. Specificity is all about being blunt, and to the point. But in this world, in this community people are polite, that's the other side to being specific, with the care of others emotions involved.

When someone can help, or learn, or ask, and learn much more then just a answer to a question they grow. They in a sense evolve as a person. I'm just here most of the time to help out. Because I like helping. Sometimes people get offended. But i really do have theirs, and my best wishes included in most of what i say;) good luck on the battle grounds of ssh;]
Posted By: Flowbe1 Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/08/04 11:11 PM
I appreciate it, I hope i didn't seem offended or smart assish-I wasn't. I guess I just wanted to get unclear things clear, or at least I tried. I'm glad I stumbled upon this site...ya'll are cool folks

P.S I will have something pretty cool to offer in the future, I think the majority of ya'll would be interested, or at least the newbies will-I hope the vets will be too though.....soon to come
Posted By: ? Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/09/04 10:45 AM
bla, forgot the link.

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/A/AH/AHORNBY/ssltunnel-1.0.pl

p.s. unless your name is UGN Newbie, my name isn't UGN Poser.
Posted By: weeve Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/09/04 07:04 PM
lmao "?" is always enjoyed;] you didn't I'm just liek attentive hehehe. I look forward to what you will give to the community.
Posted By: n0mel Re: Who knows the most about SSH Tunneling - 05/27/04 08:51 AM
They might havemeant http tunneling. In his situation, he would "tunnel" through a proxy server, to the site he wanted to access. If it was a firewall that allowed port 80 (or any port you can find a proxy on) through, then, he would just set the proxy setting in his browser to that proxy server. He would then be able to connect to any site, unrestricted. If he was behind a firewall that required the use of a proxy to access the net, then he'd have to have his browser connect to the proxy, then the proxy he was going to tunnel, then the site...so one omre step than the browser supports. In this case, he would have to make some custom software (extremely easy to make) or download something to do this.

and, this all works because, to the proxy or firewall, he is connecting to a single ip...not the actual ip of the website, but the ip of the proxy...so...filtering wouldn't work. unless it looked in the transmitted data...which I insanely highly doubt.
© UGN Security Forum