UGN Security
Posted By: Cyrez Network Help - 08/20/02 02:08 PM
I have a win2k machiene and a win xp machiene i wanna setup it so i can browse the files on each computer from the other one.. I made a network with the winxp machiene and it told me to make a floppy i did and tried to install it on win2k and it says its only for win98, me, etc so how do i setup the xp and 2k togeather?
Posted By: Predator Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 02:52 PM
Uhm, if you only want to browse trough the other computer his harddrive, there is no need for a floppy. Just share the drive (folder) you want to share. Right click on it and choose share. I think yuo can figure out the rest.

Oh and the access the files from another comp, just do a \\computername\namesharedfolderordrive
Posted By: Cyrez Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 03:22 PM
I prolly doin somthin really stupid I cant figure it out all the connections are right.... I also made sure the workgroup names were the same... I Did the stuff you told me to and it still dosnt work and im typing everythin right... could u walk me through on how to setup this starting from scratch on a winxp and a win2k machiene thanks..
Posted By: Cyrez Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 05:44 PM
i got sygate it dosnt even see the other computer microsoft really hates backwords compatibility
Posted By: Predator Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 05:57 PM
So let's start from the beginning...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrez:
I so i can browse the files on each computer from the other one..
I hope this means you just want filesharing between your 2 comps cause you're talking about an internet sharing prog in your previous post.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 06:32 PM
You must have an account as the user your logged in as on the machine your trying to access. Also make sure you have netbios installed on both machines especially the XP one I think the home version doesent have it installed by default.
Posted By: psychogen Re: Network Help - 08/20/02 07:35 PM
jesus man I was chatting to you for about an hour trying to explain how to do it.

[censored] still aint got it sorted?

are you sure ur using a crossover network cable?
Posted By: Cyrez Re: Network Help - 08/21/02 02:07 AM
ya im jus tryin to file share and i have someone commin to network the walls tommrow so ill ask him bout it
Posted By: unreal Re: Network Help - 08/21/02 07:55 AM
Maybe I was premature in de-stickying the "Correct Forums" post. Moved to Newbie Questions.
© UGN Security Forum