UGN Security
Posted By: chazman tv on computer - 03/28/04 08:05 AM
I have t1 internet and I was woundering if I can watch tv on my computer for free
I have comcast digital tv and internet
I was woundering if there is a program I could use to get basic tv chanels
without a tv tunner
Posted By: jonconley Re: tv on computer - 03/28/04 08:55 AM
AFAIK, no, you must have the hardware to support it.

You are the proud owner if my first usage of this acronym:

STFW
Posted By: Gremelin Re: tv on computer - 03/28/04 09:10 AM
You'll need a TV Tuner card, your best bet is through ATI, they have a ton of them. In my mom's computer she has an ATI All In Wonder w/TV Out.
Posted By: Chem Re: tv on computer - 03/29/04 09:32 AM
Pick up a cheap piece of [censored] TV tuner card, then install the Dscaler drivers, which will insanely increase performence. No need to buy something higher end.
Posted By: chazman Re: tv on computer - 03/30/04 07:54 AM
thanks chem that sound a lot better then spending a couple hundred on a nice one
Posted By: Gremelin Re: tv on computer - 03/30/04 09:05 AM
I donno, I still plan on getting a pretty good ATI card for it, mainly because I plan on using it as my graphic card and not just for TV... I used to do a lot of video editing so I'm kinda partial...
Posted By: jonconley Re: tv on computer - 03/30/04 01:47 PM
Got a Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP from NewEgg.Com for my dad.

The software that comes with it isn't too great. Switched to using ChristTV w/ DScalar. Bought a direcTV serial connection cable and control our satellite through there. Works pretty damn good for a total of under $50 dollars w/ the DirecTV cable.

Even with ATI AIW, I still say its best to get a graphics card and a separate TV card. I would go with a nice grafix card and for a good tuner card try either of these

Hauppauge PCI TV Tuner Card, Model "WinTV PVR 250" -RETAIL
Hauppauge PCI Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card, Model "WinTV PVR 350" -REATI

Very nice cards, b/c they are hardware decoders. Which means you can have all the processing done on the card itself. Definitely the way to go if you want a small minibox system and you don't want to have the processing power tied up. Read the reviews in the links from users, sure they will point out the low specs on great systems using these cards.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: tv on computer - 03/30/04 02:43 PM
[censored] that, go into a computer store and ask if they sell OEM parts and tell them you want an OEM TV tuner card... You'll be able to get 'em at about $100 off...
Posted By: jerblaster23 Re: tv on computer - 04/25/04 04:29 PM
here's what I did, first hack directv programing, (the p3 is being faised our and the p4 hasn't yet been released so it's not the best time but check out these forums anyway)

[Links edited by Gizmo: Since when did this turn into a satelite hacking Q&A? This is a blatent attempt to advertise your site out of no where.]

than get a Hauppauge WinTV card off ebay for under $30 the cheeper ones are ok if you use the video in and audio in ports than you bypass the limiting factors of the cheeper tv cards and still get great quality. the software is crap so get download CyberLink PowerVCR II off emule and you will have a nice setup on your computer with no monthley fees and a great picture. good luck
Posted By: jerblaster23 Re: tv on computer - 04/26/04 06:51 AM
it's not my site and I was just trying to be helpfull. sorry if that's aginst the rules or something
© UGN Security Forum