UGN Security
Posted By: HighLander The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 02:44 AM
This may be an odd topic, but I noticed something today, I was walking through the barracks at the base that I live on, and in almost every room, there was at least 2 computers, yet 90% of these people were not surfing the web or programming, or learning anything in general, they were pretty much all playing games (EX: Warcraft, Ceasar, Starcraft...ETC.) Don't get me wrong I like the occasional computer game, but these people buy the computers for the sole purpose of playing these games 24/7. Do kids have any interest in learning computers anymore or the quest for knowledge. I talked to a 20yr old the other day and he told me he wanted to become a H4ck3r, so I asked him why ? And all he could tell me is so I can mess with people e-mails, steal better grades in school, mess with peoples Web sites and become some famed H4ck3r that everyone knows.

Now this could just be the people that live around me or the new generation of computer kids just don't understand the potential of a computer and how much you can learn from them....

Well I am happy now that I got that of my chest... laugh
Posted By: tuatboaac Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 06:36 PM
PC games are easy entertainment for those who have a lot of free time. they create environments that are more realistic in some aspects than anything else(aside from the real world, but most people dont get to manage an empire in real life) and they have an infinite shelf life. i do think people should have more of an interest in the workings of their toys, but not everyone cares. most people just take the lazy path, and get professional help whenthey run into problems. as the saying goes "computers started out as smart people, on dumb terminals. They have evolved to dumb people, on smart terminals."
Posted By: ohfuk Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 06:54 PM
im not a big gamer, but lots of people are... its not just where you live, to some extent, its international. we have an epidemic on our hands here, only solution, um, is, uhhh....

i really hope 2 guys are shooting a sheep below this message....
Posted By: tuatboaac Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:04 PM
ohfuk, your a moron. theres a reason its called an edit button. so you edit, and dont post 3 times.

but ill give you a good rating anyways, so you dont hurt me this weekend.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:12 PM
tuat. I suggest you don't speak unless you know what's going on. ohfuk accidentally triple posted (or at least double posted). It happens when you click "submit" and you think it didn't take, so you click it again. Gizmo doesn't allow people to delete their own posts.
Posted By: ohfuk Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:20 PM
i tried to delete, but as you said SR, i cant so i killed sheep instead
Posted By: tuatboaac Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:22 PM
SR, pretty much continously as im posting, im talking to ohfuk on AIM. practice what you preach. i thought the reference to weekend activities would have made it obvious that i know him in RL. i just felt like raggin on him. but im sure he's touched by your concern.
Posted By: Cold Sunn Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tuatboaac:
SR, pretty much continously as im posting, im talking to ohfuk on AIM. practice what you preach. i thought the reference to weekend activities would have made it obvious that i know him in RL. i just felt like raggin on him. but im sure he's touched by your concern.
I don't see how what you said there had a point. When you said you thought you made it obvious you knew him in real life, that's great. But whether or not you know him or not in rl, he still triple posted. Practice what you preach? Let's compare, ohfuk triple posted, SR did not. Maybe I am missing something here, but what the hell man?

I have never been around many people that know anything about computers, or want to know, well until now here at ugn and other boards. Most kids I am around don't know how to do stuff on computers, and only want to know enough to get the task at hand done. I can't say whether this is a new generation of newbs, but I do agree that most of them just want to play games and look at adult content.
Posted By: ohfuk Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 07:52 PM
yes, most people are dumb [censored] on computers...like me. at least im trying unlike the majority of morons. i think you all should go smoke a bowl or somthing... calm down
Posted By: BackSlash Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 08:53 PM
your upset that people buy computers to play video games, however, people do the same thing when they buy video game consoles (ex. playstation). i don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to play a game. if an individual chooses to be ignorant to the potential knowledge before him, then let it be. it just means you will have the upper hand on more people...
Posted By: tuatboaac Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 11:12 PM
your missing something. but its ok. not really that big a deal.
Posted By: Mornse Re: The NEW Computer Generation - 09/09/02 11:16 PM
Surprisingly, lot's of my friends actually know a fair amount about computers. I have about 5 or 6 buddys from school that know a lot also. Of course, the majority of my friends don't, but a higher number than most people, do.
© UGN Security Forum