UGN Security
Posted By: Spyrios Documentary: Revolution OS - 11/07/04 11:49 AM
As a newb this movie has opened my eyes.
OK, this is a documentary about Open Source Software. Mainly UNIX derivitaves. BSD, GNU, and Linux. Who are the people?

Eric Raymond- �scruffy hacker� tells Microsoft �I�m your worst nightmare.� oh yeah also happened to write "The Cathedral and The Bazzar"

Bruce Perens- Author of �Open Sorce Definition�- "We want to get the software to work so we sacrifice the intellectual property rights�

Richard Stallman- MIT 1971- Founder GNU Project. �The Incompatible timesharing system� No Passwords on original systems so admins couldn�t control them. Someone there yesterday shouldn�t control what we do today. Original password hack was to hack peoples passwords and send the email that said "I see you have chosen is blah,blah why don't you just make it hitenter that's just as good"
Says GNU is a hack because GNU stands for GNU is not Unix becaues UNIX was proprietary.

Linus- yes that Linus �You are never supposed to see an OS. People don�t use an OS the use programs.�

Plus quite a few more, those were the most memorable.

To anyone who wants to know the history of LINUX, BSD, or any open source software that explains even where the GNU Public Licenses come form this is the movie.

I feel that much less a noob for watching it.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 11/09/04 02:00 AM
Really good movie.
Posted By: Ice Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 11/15/04 08:53 AM
hmmm i tried renting it at Blockbuster, but the one i went to didnt have it smirk
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 03:07 AM
i have it on DVD wink
Posted By: Spyrios Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 03:08 AM
I know that Sinetific should have it.
Posted By: Ice Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 06:38 AM
well i did watch it, and let me tell u, i almost fell asleep. I thought i would be WAY better, very disapointing documentary...
Posted By: Spyrios Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 09:04 AM
Well Ice it is about the development of operating systems, and about a bunck of geeks, you have to take it for the information, that's why I liked it, and it put a face on the names you just read about.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 09:47 AM
It's a great movie if you're in the middle of 50 things and need background noise wink ... Myself I didn't watch it, i listened to it as I was working wink ...

I tried to watch it at 3am laying in bed, it did certainly help me drift off wink
Posted By: Ice Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 12/31/04 09:48 AM
Ya i guess, there was some cool new information i learned, i allready knew how half of the people looked in that movie.

The information was pretty cool, but still a boaring video lol.

But overall, pretty informative
Posted By: Grubby Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 03/20/05 03:34 AM
i don't know very well about what u talk about ,
and you should post it clearly .
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 03/20/05 05:30 AM
Learn proper English then it will make perfect sence...
Posted By: Ghost Re: Documentary: Revolution OS - 03/20/05 06:05 AM
Yeah, seriously. How can you give someone else [censored] about their english when yours is probably the worst i've ever seen?
© UGN Security Forum