UGN Security
Posted By: Le4rner Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/05/02 11:10 PM
What are the major differences?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/05/02 11:48 PM
SMTP is a protocol. SendMail is a program which sends mail via SMTP.
Posted By: Le4rner Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 12:23 AM
Then why on my BBS do I have an option od sendmail or smtp and NET::SMTP?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 12:34 AM
if its on Windows based go SMTP, if *nix go with sendmail.
Posted By: Le4rner Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 12:54 AM
Well both work, but I was just wondering the difference.
Posted By: Mornse Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 01:22 AM
Well I thought SR was right, isn't one the protocol and one the program? So then if it has an option form SMTP then does it have it's own program to use the protocol?
Posted By: quicksilver Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 01:46 AM
Le4rner I am not sure on this one but, is that where you set up how you email your members? IF it is I think the diffence is that Sendmail will use the senmail program while the NET::SMTP would probably use something built into the perl script, i say this becuase NET::SMTP is a perl module used for implementing SMTP
Posted By: Le4rner Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 02:12 AM
So what about the SMTP option? There are 3 options.
Posted By: quicksilver Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 04:12 AM
Hey 2 outa 3 aint bad......
I don't know what to tell you on the SMTP one, prehaps it means any smtp client..I will check it out and get back to you. In the mean while try playing around with them and see if there is a difference.
Posted By: quicksilver Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 04:18 AM
alrighty dude, this is what i found at the yabb site so far:

~Location of Sendmail Program
Directory of host "sendmail" program.Default is: /usr/sbin/sendmail

~SMTP-Server
The name of your SMTP server (email send server). Only valid if the following is set to use SMTP.

~Send Mails using: sendmail | SMTP
Set to "sendmail" if your host uses sendmail, or use SMTP if your host uses this protocol.

This information leads me to believe that the SMTP option uses the SMTP server you specify while the sendmail option will use the local sendmail program and I am still pretty sure that the NET::SMTP is a perl script thing, but i could be wrong
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/06/02 12:13 PM
dude, ok, heh, you can use sendmail ONLY in nix, you can use SMTP in nix or nt, i pefer a nix box with sendmail.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/07/02 01:00 AM
Yes NET::SMTP is a module so that the script itself will connect to a SMTP server and send the email. SendMail is a program which you send various parameters so that it will send the email. Of course SendMail is only on Linux unless you install it on windows. It's like trying to execute notepad on linux.
Posted By: Le4rner Re: Sendmail vs SMTP - 03/07/02 02:38 AM
Got it. Thanks.
© UGN Security Forum