UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin PHP Compressed Sites - 11/04/05 08:56 PM
I've heard numerous times on the benefits of compression through GZip on websites; hell we use GZip on our forum...

I've been wondering on the best possible solutions on applying compression globally over a site and found the most simple thing ever; best of all, it allows you to "tinker" with the ouput...

.htaccess
Code
php_value auto_prepend_file /full/path/to/begin_gzip.php
php_value auto_append_file /full/path/to/end_gzip.php
begin_gzip.php:
Code
<?php
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");
?>
end_gzip.php
Code
<?php
ob_flush();
?>
Done!

There are many other ways of accomplishing the above, this way is recommended as it allows you to being able to manipulate the buffer once a page has run (adding things like highlighting, correction of common coding bugs, caching, etc).

If you have scripts that also use GZip you'll need to disable GZip compression within them otherwise they will conflict with this, hence why we're not planning on running this here at UGN Security until we upgrade the forums again.

Original Source for this can be found here
Posted By: §intå× Re: PHP Compressed Sites - 11/08/05 07:18 PM
Word of caution, you can really [censored] your [censored] up if you do not know what you are doing. I mean show source code and the like.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: PHP Compressed Sites - 11/08/05 11:44 PM
I've yet to "[censored] my [censored] up" using GLib compression; additionakklly the forum data has been fine with it for the past two years...
Posted By: §intå× Re: PHP Compressed Sites - 11/09/05 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by �int��:
Word of caution, you can really [censored] your [censored] up if you do not know what you are doing. I mean show source code and the like.
Key words being "if you do not know what you are doing" obviously you know what you are doing. I am meerly stating to do your homework. If used wrong you can lock viewers out, show form data, and leave your site stranded or worse vunerable.

If you know what you are doing it is a very nice tool.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: PHP Compressed Sites - 11/09/05 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by �int��:
If you know what you are doing it is a very nice tool.
Indeed so; allowing dialup users to render a page as fast as a cable user == good...
© UGN Security Forum