UGN Security
Well, after going on 3 years of being a hosting support rep and server security annalyst I'm out of a job... Reasoning was purely financial (though I am in a world of hurt with personal finances).

My boss has assured me that I can keep my free hosting on the servers indefinately which is good as I don't really have the funds (especially now) for the hosting of all of my sites smirk.

As of midnight tonight I am officially without a jobby job job...

To all of you who are customers of my now ex employeer who I've helped personally you'll need to seek support via the support desk vs AIM/Email corrispondance with myself..
Ouch man. That really sucks.
My sympathy goes out to you. I can quasi relate, having been suspended 4 times this year for 20 days a pop, I have worries how in the hell I would feed us, pay the bills, and such.

The answer was simple really... Rent/food/Car

A real down side was getting the electric shut off for 1 day. I felt like [censored].
See, the thing that bothers me the most is WTF am I going to do with this extra time... I mean I've been "on call" 24/7 for as long as I can remember and now I have nothing to do smirk.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
See, the thing that bothers me the most is WTF am I going to do with this extra time... I mean I've been "on call" 24/7 for as long as I can remember and now I have nothing to do smirk.
Pack up icey and trey and come visit me, that will give you something to do. I don't start work til next week, get busy. :p
Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie:
Pack up icey and trey and come visit me, that will give you something to do. I don't start work til next week, get busy. :p
with what money? we have to save what we do have... frown
Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
[b] See, the thing that bothers me the most is WTF am I going to do with this extra time... I mean I've been "on call" 24/7 for as long as I can remember and now I have nothing to do smirk.
Pack up icey and trey and come visit me, that will give you something to do. I don't start work til next week, get busy. :p [/b]
/me slaps girlie with a dead fish.

Lets see coast to coast with gas prices as high as $5.85 a gallon in places. Loss if income.. Umm Yea seems like a goo idea to me. Damn women!

Here is an idea.. Do what I did. You have VNC web design, take it more seriously. I went around to local resturants where electricians, constructions workers and such frequent. I put up flyers for all services I offer, web design, Database design, Logo design, consultation, Intranet, Security, PC optimization.

I have generated enough money off of this to save my [censored] a few times. Look into your local SBC. Not telcom company, Small Business center. In Maryland they have tons of free [censored] to help you get your company up and running. Help with Business plan, marketing plan, Group meetings of other small companis(I got business from the meetings)

Basically, you have the skills many smal companies are looking for but can't affor to pay to going rate. You get them to be reasonable on expectations and you charge reasonable rates. I think after the PM this is your ideal next step actually. If you want I can let you know all the things I have done. What has worked, what hasn't.
hey, you expected me to magically appear at your doorstep when I was jobless, no excuses! hehe :p

Seriously, I'm sure you'll find something else soon.
© UGN Security Forum