UGN Security
Posted By: Cold Sunn Elimidebt ad - 10/26/02 01:03 AM
Giz, I understand you need to advertise and I support that, but this Elimidevt ad where it talks and gets in the way of my music, it has to go. Seriously man, those [censored] talking ads are so annoying. lol you probably won't do anything about it but i probably will never hear it again.
Posted By: fleshwound Re: Elimidebt ad - 10/26/02 02:09 AM
hehehe.. yeah. .the first time i heard it.. it freaked the hell out of me. i was like.. who the [censored] is that talking? and yeah.. it does really interupt my music too. i think it should go away too!

fleshy
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Elimidebt ad - 10/26/02 06:16 AM
ok, what part of "We will be getting rid of the advertising.com ads shortly after the new design is completed" isn't understood? topic closed.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Elimidebt ad - 10/26/02 01:26 PM
And since giz will be removing them anyway, let me remind you folks that you can remove the ads yourself.

Search your computer for 'hosts' without an extension. Open it in notepad and add the following line:

127.0.0.1 servedby.advertising.com

If you couldn't find it, then search for 'hosts.sam' and add the line. Then copy it as a new file in the same directory called 'hosts'.

Last resort if the above didn't work.

On Win9x
Create "C:\Windows\hosts"
Create "C:\Windows\hosts.sam"

Add that line to both. Reboot for the changes to take affect.

On WinNT/2K/XP?

Create "C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"

Add that line and save. You may not need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

----------
what does this do? Whenever a program looks up the domain's IP address using the windows API, windows will return the IP you specify in that hosts file. After changes, servedby.advertising.com will point to 127.0.0.1 and therefor won't work.
© UGN Security Forum