UGN Security
Posted By: loanbanker I finally got my mac! - 07/17/03 12:51 AM
Those who know the story know I threw my PC 15 feet in the air in a fit of rage durring the final hours of my eviction. I remember at moment of impact saying [censored] Im getting getting a mac.

Ok so its been a bit too long since thats happened but finally I find myself sitting in front of my 17 inch widescreen iMac. Just friggin a beautiful machine.

The kicker is it was in essence free. Some stock I own did exceptionally well and whammo here she is.

Enough of my rant. Just wanted to share my experience of my baby. I feel like a new dad again... kinda.lol

loanbanker
Posted By: Crime Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/17/03 02:01 AM
A) macs suck
B) arent you suppose to be dead or something ?
Posted By: Cold Sunn Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/17/03 02:30 AM
A) crime = macs
B) I need some money, who do I talk to about getting one?
Posted By: loanbanker Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/17/03 04:05 AM
laffing, good to see some things stay the same.

A. Your wrong.
B. Your wrong again.
Posted By: fleshwound Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/18/03 10:33 PM
weeeeeee! well I'M happy for you loanbanker! i grew up using macs. i like them. yay for you!
Posted By: Infinite Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/18/03 11:34 PM
W00T!!!
Posted By: Rapture Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/18/03 11:46 PM
Panther is pretty tight. OSX is about the only good thing mac's got going for them IMO.
Posted By: §intå× Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/22/03 11:52 AM
Quote:
OSX is about the only good thing mac's got going for them IMO.
Yea, well that and the iPOD, iTunes, Thier new browser, and thier new system that smokes and PC on the market. And the fact most decent graphic software started on macs due to clarity. IE photoshop

But other that that, yea.

Apple allways built a better product. It is just more expensive and you will only ever deal with apple.

Loan man!!!

Congrads dude. drop me a line some time. I hope all is worked out now. Take care and enjoy your new baby.
Posted By: loanbanker Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/25/03 09:23 AM
shall do.

Been mostly playing with iMovie. Its been an awesome experience.

They are more expensive no doubt. But I figured with the ability to burn dvd, movie and sound editing, etc.. It comes out to a wash. The only prob is you gotta pay for it all up front!

Anyways, back to making some more vids, cya laterz guys.
Posted By: superpozition Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/31/03 10:24 AM
Well now that you got it take it and through it through a [censored] window. MAC's suck dude!
Posted By: Imperial Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/31/03 11:30 AM
everyone remembers the "you know why imacs have handles?" joke right?
Posted By: loanbanker Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/31/03 01:20 PM
superpozition

Hmm, ok tell me this. What is it that your PC can do that my Mac cannot?

Why would you think that my friggin beautiful screaming machine would suck? Because of cost? Please tell me you have something better then that. Proprietary hardware? lol, please... Come up with something nice and solid that makes the PC so much better.
Posted By: superpozition Re: I finally got my mac! - 07/31/03 10:23 PM
loanbanker

Ok well i guess i was a little harsh. Macs are really good computers, they look great, the GUI is alot better than say anyone microsoft can make its just really bad for what i use computers for, and that programming. I mean come on you have to agree with me here. Yeah sure you can code web programming but thats about it. And i have never seen or used a Mac server? They are great personal desktop or family computers and amazing with graphics but nowadays PC's are just as good for graphics because the hardware is so damn fast. Well i think that is something nice and solid that makes the PC so much better, at least in my opinion...
Posted By: SilentRage Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/01/03 12:23 AM
I still use PC, and will continue to use PC. I used to shun MAC cause it just isn't as compatible. So much software out there, and it is primarily for the PC. However, I no longer reguard that as a good excuse. Now that MAC can run both linux and MAC programs, it balances out the fact that it can't use PC programs without an emulator. Between linux and MAC you can most probably find anything you want.

However, PC is still the most popular, and therefor I use it.
Posted By: sinetific Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/01/03 04:16 AM
hey loanbanker, got any stock tips for me?
Posted By: loanbanker Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/01/03 09:15 AM
Superpozition,

In regards to your environment and what you use a computer for well I don't know ya and don't know exactly what you do. The fact is that no a mac will not fit every persons needs better then a PC. There are avantages to both depending on what your needs are.

My background is strictly PC and I have only recently switched to MAC.

There are Mac servers of course but honestly I know very little about them.

I completely disagree with your statement about PC's being just as good graphically. Of course this is my opinion and we all know about opinions.

SilentRage brings up the best point about software and the PC popularity. Cant disagree there. All I can say is that there is definately a shift in the marketplace and developers are finally understanding that yes OS X is for real and there is a growing customer base. Apps will follow

sinetific,

check out LEND

very undervalued stock.

if you dont want to spend the time doing the due dilligence on it ( wouldnt blame ya) you can get all the info at vectovest.com

simply plug in the stock ticker and your email and you will see what I mean.

Enough outta me guys. Didn't want to start the friggin who knows how old argument of MAC VS PC.

I just took exception to the strong tone and wanted clarity.

This I know for sure. I have had my mac on since day one and have yet to have to reboot. That alone is worth the extra couple of bucks. lol

Im taking the wife and kids out to coffee and hot chocolate so I gotta jam.
Posted By: pergesu Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/02/03 03:28 AM
Ah, loanbanker, you've seen the light smile

I've been usin my Powerbook for a few months now. Greatest technical decision ever, choosing to get an Apple laptop for school rather than a PC based one.

"j00 1053r, m4c5 4r3 ph00r KiDz. ph33r 1iNux!!!" - OS X has a Darwin core, which is an open source collection of system projects. At the very heart of OS X is FreeBSD.

"There's no software for Macs" - Well Microsoft has created an OS X version of Office, and it runs better than the Windows version. When Adobe releases a new version of PhotoShop, where does it go first? Mac. Same thing with Macromedia products. Do a fresh install of Windows, and try playing every audio and video format out there. Can't do it. OS X has everything right in there, with iTunes, QuickTime, and a whole slew of other stuff. And for the developers, OS X comes installed with Perl, Java, C/C++ compilers, and many other development tools.

"Well it sounds cool, but I wanna run a server" - The personal version of OS X comes with Apache, FTP, SSH, and SMB servers built right in. To turn it on, check a box in the preferences. OS X Server is tuned for serving, and has a ton of remote server management tools. The XServe is a regular rack mounted server, that outperforms servers twice its cost.

"Too [censored] expensive" - PowerMac G5: $2999. Comparable PC: $4050

"They're not as fast" - Check out the benchmarks . Let's start with the G5 processor, which is currently at 1 Ghz clock speed. That's the equivalent of about a 2.8 Ghz P4. Now throw two of them in a machine. It's 2.2 times as fast as a 3 Ghz P4. Now make the processor 64 bits. How about 8 gigs of RAM? And a 1 Ghz frontside bus...on each processor. Use the PCI-X slots which run at 133 Mhz instead of 33, increasing the troughput from 266 MB/s to 2 GB/s. Then there's the 8x AGP slot. Oh yeah, FireWire 800, optical digital audio and video, and the bandwidth to transfer 6 gigs of information through memory in one second. Gee, I wish it could compare to a PC :\

They also last longer - my friend's been using the same machine for graphical design for 8 years now. I guarantee your PC will not be able to do that in 8 years.

So Macs run all the software, they run it better and faster, they're more powerful, more stable, last longer, and even cost less. A lot of the challenges against Macs were true 3 to 5 years ago. Now they're just invalid.
Posted By: superpozition Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/02/03 03:40 AM
Ok fine the OS X can run a server only because it is based on a different operating system. And how many big server on the internet today use macs? PC are more powerfull when it comes to really high power computing.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/02/03 03:43 AM
MAC's don't run all the software. Nobody tried saying there isn't any good software for MAC. There just isn't as much. You go to compusa or bestbuy or something and the whole friggin store is for PC - except for the corner way in the back which has MAC stuff.

this is the kind of stuff I refer to when I say MAC isn't as popular, so therefor I don't touch. I don't want to desire after a game and worry about whether or not there's a MAC release, which many times doesn't exist. Not to mention "pretty" never appealed to me (same reason I don't get XP), and I'm not a video editor.

The purpose of this post is to balance out yours. Yours got a little over fanatical for MAC and I just wanted to point out there ARE disadvantages to going the mac route. There are disadvantages for any OS choice.
Posted By: Crime Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/02/03 03:46 AM
MACs are only good as paperweights....
Posted By: loanbanker Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/02/03 11:15 PM
Crime, lol at least your consistent.

pergesu I share your enthusiasm. I personally agree that the MAC is quite simply a better product.

SilentRage your ability to play either side of a coin is awesome. Always backed up by facts, clear and to the point.

For me, I have yet to find a single thing I used to do with the PC that I cannot do with my MAC. Whats even better is just how simple they have made it. My wife was up and working with iMovie inside of 15 minutes. 1 hour later she had made her first movie and whammo burned that puppy to DVD. We sent it off to the family and that alone made the up front cost worth it. Just awesome.

Anyways, I'm a switcher and I don't see myself ever comming back to the PC realm (most switchers don't and I see why).

I just found Superpozitions reply a little over the top and wanted to respond. I'm impressed with the reply's.

Crime, like I said before, lol at least your consistent. lol.

Im off to play with dreamweaver. cya.
Posted By: sinetific Re: I finally got my mac! - 08/03/03 12:46 AM
Everyone knows you can't compare benchmarks between the two systems. It's highly biased at best. I can show you reports saying PC benchmarks are better and show you reports that Apple benchmarks are better.

Quote:
"Steve Jobs told the excitable audience that the company's new PowerMac G5 systems--due in August--would not just match but surpass the performance of similarly equipped high-end Pentium 4 and XEON-based PCs from companies such as Dell...Sadly, Apple's claims are as questionable as ever...even dual processor G5 machines still don't match the processing power of a single processor Pentium 4 system, contrary to what Apple announced Monday.
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=39381

Really I don't think you would be able to benchmark it using Adobe Photoshop like a lot of the benchmarks are done, like Perg said, It's written for an Apple. It comes out on Appple first then it's ported to windows.

Now don't get me wrong I am a mac fan, I just feel that all these OS'es have thier place.

Mac: owns in high end multimedia development
PC: owns the home user area (wintendo)
Linux: owns for servers

and they all try to eat into each others markets.
© UGN Security Forum