UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin Mailing List - 07/18/05 09:22 AM
We've decided to go an alternative route with out mailing list... I know it hasn't been updated at all lately but we're currently seeking pans other than major site updates for it (or perhaps a secondary list).

Instead of using our current CGI platform for our mailing list (which takes ages to send mail) we're going to start using a PHP/MySQL mailer. This will not only mean more speed, but it'll also mean easier administration and a better way to mail users.

If you have any input on mailings (or lists in general) please feel free to respond to this posting.
Posted By: EndGame Re: Mailing List - 07/21/05 10:31 AM
when exactly does the change take place mate?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Mailing List - 07/21/05 10:49 AM
3 days ago :-x...
Posted By: pergesu Re: Mailing List - 07/21/05 02:44 PM
I don't understand the reason for posting this.

Really, it doesn't matter to the users how the mailing list is implemented. CGI/PHP/Ruby/Java/Perl...doesn't matter one bit. As long as we get our emails, it's all good.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Mailing List - 07/21/05 06:26 PM
Sure it does, the current list of users is being purged; users have to re-signup...
Posted By: pergesu Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 05:29 AM
A fact that was omitted from the original post
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pergesu:
A fact that was omitted from the original post
But not from the mailing which was sent out prior to the post.
Posted By: Girlie Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pergesu:
I don't understand the reason for posting this.

Really, it doesn't matter to the users how the mailing list is implemented. CGI/PHP/Ruby/Java/Perl...doesn't matter one bit. As long as we get our emails, it's all good.
which brings up a good point...I didn't get any emails...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 11:04 AM
Due to me rarely sending anything out wink ...

It was ment to originally be a monthly newsletter but due to lack of time on my part and lack of staff to pull something together it has yet to really become what it was ment to be...

So it's mainly been for site updates... As rare as they may be wink ... I'll work on getting a couple sections up eventually for the mailer, but it'll be a tad bit off timewise wink .
Posted By: EndGame Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
Sure it does, the current list of users is being purged; users have to re-signup...
scuse my ignorance here, but does the mailing list co-exhist with the list of users who've signed up on the BBS?
and if so, when u say the list is getting purged, does that mean all inactive members on the boards will be deleted from the mailing list?

either that, or its a seperate list which il probably have to signup for as i havent received any emails... ever.
Posted By: Ghost Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 03:34 PM
No, signing up for the BBS did not enter you into the mailing list database. You can subscribe to the mailing list via the main page.
Posted By: EndGame Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 03:56 PM
ah, explains a lot that
cheers
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Mailing List - 07/22/05 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost:
No, signing up for the BBS did not enter you into the mailing list database. You can subscribe to the mailing list via the main page.
You again are correct sir...
© UGN Security Forum