UGN Security
Posted By: majik help is needed!!! - 10/17/03 11:21 PM
to the wise men(and women),i have locked myself out me laptop, a friend is trying to unlock it 4 me with no luck. i no its not the BIOS. any tips? maker wont help coz i have no proof of purchase anymore. frown
Posted By: HighLander Re: help is needed!!! - 10/17/03 11:27 PM
Locked urself out, in what way, the Win pw, the boot up user pw, or the computer freeze's before full boot ??? Little more info needed
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/17/03 11:32 PM
locked b4 boot up.
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/17/03 11:57 PM
that would make it the boot up usr pword i guess
Posted By: paradox Re: help is needed!!! - 10/18/03 06:36 AM
Flush the bios.. open the laptop and look for a jumper or take out the bios battery if its the same as a pc then it will wipe all bios settings then just set them back when u start up wink and dont steal any more laptops
Posted By: Gremelin Re: help is needed!!! - 10/18/03 07:44 AM
call your manufacturer, if you legitly own the laptop theil be happy to help.
Posted By: sinetific Re: help is needed!!! - 10/18/03 09:47 AM
start it up with a boot disk. or boot from the CD and do repairs. If your not able to do that its a lock in the BIOS.
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 03:23 AM
CHEERS CHAPS. gizmo i tried the manu' but wont help unless i have proof of purchase
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 03:26 AM
tried removing batt' but still didnt work, any more ideas will be helpful
Posted By: unreal Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 03:32 PM
Nono, I think you're thinking about the main battery that supplies power to the laptop. We're talking about the little lithium battery mounted on the motherboard...Should be a silver disc, kind of like a watch battery. Just don't void your warranty. :x
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 07:44 PM
the only one i have found is a little green shrink wrapped batt' about the size of a 1p coin. was told sumthing about a NVRAM chip, but cant find that would it help if i said what type of laptop it was?????
Its a VAIO.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 07:55 PM
they shouldn't care about a proof of purchase, so long as it isn't stolen and you have the identificiaton number under the machine you should be able to call sony support.
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 08:49 PM
will have to try them again, will be bck
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 08:50 PM
is there anything i can do if they cant/wont help me? is the laptop useless????
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/19/03 10:54 PM
sinetific...., has it got to be an origianal or can it be a copy of sum1 elses boot CD???
Posted By: jonconley Re: help is needed!!! - 10/25/03 12:01 AM
Here is a google RESULT

From the looks of it, if it is infact the BIOS password, you will have to do exactly what Gizmo said or else remove and resolder a new security chip. B/C newer VAIO seem to use security chips and the battery option will probably not work for you. New chip around 100$. Sony Support probably free. Your choice....

Also, it is a phoenix bios i believe. Long long shot, especially on newer laptops, but could try using the password pheonix
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/25/03 04:11 AM
will try the google ting, tried the bios p/w pheonix with no luck. Thanx 4 tring
Posted By: HighLander Re: help is needed!!! - 10/25/03 05:30 PM
You should be able to trip the jumper on the board, look on the internet to try to find out where on the board it is exactly. Should reset the bios pw......
Posted By: jonconley Re: help is needed!!! - 10/25/03 10:05 PM
Sony VAIO laptops are not setup that way. All you will do is lose your configuration settings.
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/25/03 10:24 PM
will give it a try bck later if an up date
Posted By: HighLander Re: help is needed!!! - 10/26/03 04:52 PM
Ah I see, Hrmm, learn something new everyday
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/27/03 01:23 AM
is it possible to replace say the motherboard, to by-pass the p/w, or replace the bios chip?
would any of that work?
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 10/27/03 01:26 AM
what about nvram? is there anyway to wipe it and reset?
Posted By: majik Re: help is needed!!! - 11/01/03 03:41 AM
ok news up date. vaio have an eerom chip which stores the power up p/w this has to be removed and a new put in place, they cost about �71....
from pwcrack.com. problem solved thanks for all your input
© UGN Security Forum