UGN Security
Posted By: CyberNerd Telnet - 09/28/02 10:20 PM
ok i was playing around for telnet for the first time on a win xp computer, and i noticed the default port to connect to is port 23, and the telnet is all in dos, i dont know if there is a GUI version on xp, but if there is i cant find it. so I spent 2 hours trying to figure how to get it off that default port and im completely stuck can anyone tell me how to do it?
Posted By: Bluefire Re: Telnet - 09/28/02 11:14 PM
I spent a couple of sec's reading the help file and got it but here we go. you type o to connect ip here port here . Ie o 127.0.0.1 30 this what it look like from xp
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is 'CTRL+]'

Microsoft Telnet> o 127.0.0.1 30
Connecting To 127.0.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 30.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Microsoft Telnet>
Posted By: black^Pimp Re: Telnet - 09/28/02 11:35 PM
yes, but what differences it makes it the default port is 21 or 23 bro ? Anyways winXP has lots of security holes i think. I'll see if i can find something more around your problem
Posted By: pergesu Re: Telnet - 09/29/02 12:12 AM
There's a huge difference in what port it connects to. 21 is ftp, 23 is telnet. If you use telnet to go to port 21, you don't get the same thing. Here's what you wanna do:

telnet host port

So an example:
>telnet www.undergroundnews.com 67

That will connect to www.undergroundnews.com on port 67
Posted By: sinetific Re: Telnet - 09/29/02 01:50 AM
download putty. its tiny, it fits on a floppy.. ssh telnet raw or rlogin. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Posted By: BackSlash Re: Telnet - 09/29/02 01:50 AM
the telnet can be accessed through the command prompt by typing

>telnet www.site.com 23

thats pretty much what pergesu just said, but i just wanted to point out that it can be done through the command prompt opposed to searching for the file telnet and opening it.
Posted By: CyberNerd Re: Telnet - 09/29/02 03:13 AM
ok guys, i solved my problem thanks
© UGN Security Forum