UGN Security
Posted By: Cold Sunn Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 12:14 AM
I remember in IRC a long while back, some guys were talking about some dude that tried to be leet and was saying he had like 5 firewalls so if you got past the first one, you still had the rest of them. Now obviously it isn't like a real wall where you have them in an order, but i was thinking...if you exploit a vulnerability in some dudes firewall, and you can get in, what if he had a second one. So it would still be blocked, but not by as many. I don't know, just wondering.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 06:05 AM
and the point of this post?

wow, 5 firewalls, we're talkin a hard router, another or a linux box, then a lil link through 5 routers or boxes, its nto that hard or expencive, but would take some skill to setup..
Posted By: pergesu Re: Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 07:33 AM
Well if it's a series of hardware routers, then it would be like a real wall where you have them in an order. But five firewalls is definitely overkill, not to mention the fact that it would slow stuff down quite a bit.
Posted By: Soap Re: Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 09:33 AM
maybe two firewalls would be hard to hack (as in once the first one, passed, u got the second one) but you'd have to put different OS, or diff firewall and config b/c if it's the exact same (ie: two NT boxes, filterning the exact same traffic (same rules)) then if u hack the first one, you can hack the second.

So globally I believe more than one firewall/router DOES have a use, but u have to set it up "inteligent-ly"
something most admins tend to forget laugh
Posted By: unreal Re: Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 06:41 PM
*ahem* some admins tend to forget. Contrary to the hacker perspective, admins are not idiots. wink
Posted By: dashocker Re: Multiple Firewalls - 06/02/02 09:41 PM
what if i pull out the phone line and put my box behind 5 great walls of china? now that would be l33t. yeah, unreal, U ARE AN IDIOT...maybe im acting so dumb because i havent taken a shower in 2 days...
© UGN Security Forum