UGN Security
Posted By: Spider Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 02:08 AM
Don't know if anyone can help me with this but i'm writing a book with a storyline that will hopefully feature a lot of computer hacking material, however, i know next to nothing about real-life hacking. This means i'm a bit stuck for facts. I'm trying to make it as true to life as possible and don't want to spend all my time writing about a bunch of crap. Can anyone help?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 02:15 AM
The first rule of being a writer is write about what you know. If you don't kow anything about real-life hacking or computer type things in general then no matter how hard you try your book will never be that good.

Infinite
Posted By: paradox Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 02:46 AM
if its going to be a non-ficton book then you will have to know your material.. thats a simple fact as infinite said. But if your writing a fictional fantasy hacking book then you dont really have to know anything just have a basic understanding of what hacking is all about.. and the whole scene or else it will be as you said a bunch of crap (which no one will read) but who knows.. post it on dalnet lots of them will read it
Posted By: HighLander Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 09:08 AM
A good book, on that subject, is "The Underground"

actually quite a good book, and you can d/l it of the net and print it...............

Can not remember where on the net it is though, but it is there
Posted By: D347H Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 01:27 PM
http://www.underground-book.com/
is that it highlander?
also download it from below
http://www.underground-book.com/download.php3
Posted By: jonconley Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 03:07 PM
ktnx D347H. Been looking for that and couldn't for the life of me remember what the hell the book was called.
Posted By: Spider Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info on that book Highlander, that could prove useful. In answer to Infinite, the book is not centred around computer hacking and it is a fiction book so some basic information is all i wanted.
The main body of the book is about thrill seeking, something i do know a fair bit about, but there will be several references to computer hacking and i want to make sure that they're as true to life as possible. I thought maybe you guys would be able to help me. I want to make sure that i'm not writing a book with a whole lot of nonesense in it.
Thanks in advance for any help people can give me.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/08/03 08:01 PM
The Art of Deception by Mitnick has to do with Social Engineering. Which is less technical then hacking, you just have to be creative. The book features alot of depictions of what he did, so you would have some examples to take off of. And the entire point of anything mitnick did seems to me to be about "thrill seeking" rather than anything else.
Posted By: D347H Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/09/03 02:16 AM
np jonconley, atleast i'm useful for a few things.
Posted By: HighLander Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/09/03 12:46 PM
That would be it D347H Cheers
Posted By: HighLander Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/09/03 12:48 PM
A little off subject but JC's post reminded me of a movie, Hackers 2 (The Takedown of Kevin Mitnick) not to bad of a movie, alot of social engineering...........
Posted By: pacman Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/10/03 04:03 PM
HL it's not Hacker 2, Gizmo shoved his foot up my [censored] when I said that. Anyway spider I hope you don't make hackers seem like evil crackers. Make sure you get the two separated.

(pacman forgot to mention the movie is called "Takedown" -- SilentRage)
Posted By: HighLander Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/10/03 07:54 PM
Oh ok my bad, I got the copy from a friend and the CD said "Hackers 2 The Takedown"...........so once again my bad...........
Posted By: jonconley Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/10/03 09:25 PM
The movie was released in Europe as Takedown I believe. But the Hackers 2 thing was simply what it became known as in the piracy scene. Not that any of you would know what the piracy scene is. smile
Posted By: Spider Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/10/03 09:52 PM
Is that Hacker's movie the sequel to the original movie "Hacker's" or is it a stand alone title?
To pacman, i definitely do intend to show the difference between hackers and 'evil crackers' that's why i'm doing my research :-)
Posted By: jonconley Re: Help needed with some research. - 09/10/03 10:06 PM
Its a completely different movie.
© UGN Security Forum