UGN Security
Posted By: jenbabe3 anyone know of a "tracking" device?? - 08/10/06 02:57 AM
I'm not a hacker but I need to know if anyone knows of something that fits this description...

I met a guy that was at my house a few times and I let him use my computer. I cut ties w/ him and he's VERY bitter now, and my myspace profile and other profiles on other sites have somehow gotten deleted all of a sudden... this guy sent me messages and he knows several NEW websites I've gone to recently that i NEVER told him about.

Is there something he could have done to my computer when he was at my house so that he can see what pages I go to and get my passwords???

Please reply with any ideas!! Thank you
Posted By: Gremelin Re: anyone know of a "tracking" device?? - 08/10/06 10:03 AM
He could have installed a keylogger on your system for one, additionally theres always "remote access" software (such as PCAnywhere or an FTP Server perhaps); any number of things...
Posted By: Ghost Re: anyone know of a "tracking" device?? - 08/11/06 10:18 AM
Yeah. Go download ZoneAlarm, Spybot Search & Destroy, and AVG free (use google to find them). ZoneAlarm is a firewall which is relatively easy to use, and will allow you to monitor programs that try to access the internet. Anything that you're not using shouldn't be trying to. Don't allow ANYTHING to run as a server if you're not trying to run a service to the public.

Spybot Search & Destroy will also look for things such as keyloggers while it checks your machine for other malicious software.

AVG Free is a free virus scanner that will allow you to scan the machine for anything that people would call a trojan horse or other malicious program classified as a virus.

Also, if the person is using a keylogger, it's probably not very sophisticated. Try going to Start -> Run -> type in msconfig -> Startup and uncheck anything that you don't recall intending to use. There isn't anything in that which could harm your system.

You may also want to do the same for anything that doesn't sound as though it's supposed to be on your machine in the 'Services' tab.
Posted By: sinetific Re: anyone know of a "tracking" device?? - 08/15/06 05:02 PM
Or maybe he just has access to your email.
© UGN Security Forum