UGN Security
Posted By: Moffesto Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/24/02 01:47 AM
I just started to use windows 2000 pro and I dont know how to edit the things i want to start up with windows besides deleting crap out of the start up folder. But what i want to do is what msconfig does for win98&^. How can I do this with win2k because some stuff starts up that aint even in the start up folder.... such as the ati video card crap and callwave, etc. mad
Posted By: CryptoKnight Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/24/02 03:42 AM
just get the msconfig.exe file from someone that has w98 or download the WinXP version which will work on w2k from here and copy it to %systemroot%/system. When you run it, if you got it from w98, just ignore the errors it gives you about the files it cant find.
Posted By: Predator Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/24/02 07:21 AM
Or simply go to the control panel and edit the services that start on startup (control panel -> administrative tools -> services)
Posted By: psychogen Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/26/02 10:54 PM
pred i must correct ur last post!

yes u r right that u can stop "services" from there but the software needs to be installed as a service in order to be listed there!

for example distributed.net client will be listed as a service cause its installed as a service! (**** bitches dont remove the service either when u uninstall so u keep doing work for them after u think u aint smile )

best bets are always registry editing, both Local Machine and Current User should be edited for optimal results!

hit windows key + r and type regedit! then just browse to see the proggies in the startup keys and remove what u dont want there! its safe to delete anything in those folders!
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/26/02 11:59 PM
thnks alot for your support, this crap that starts up on win2k gets on my nerves, y cant it b as easy as win9x, lol. I like some features in win9x more but win2k is so much more reliable.... etc. Just something Im leanring, ive been on a win9x machine for the past 5 years or more.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/27/02 12:04 AM
/me points to psychogens post

amen brother! So many people fear the registry so freakin much. I probably poke around in the registry 3 times a week - very commonly finding myself deleting a bunch of crap that doesn't need to be there.

The registry is window's garbage disposal!

(and I don't appreciate those junk key's/values that trial-ware leaves either)
Posted By: tronske Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/27/02 01:19 PM
start
run
type - "msconfig"
go to startup tab and just untick in the boxes of what u dont want to startup
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/27/02 03:25 PM
tronske, maybe you didnt understand.... Im running windows 2k and that don't work on win2k. Thanks anyways
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Start up editing w/ win2k - 04/27/02 11:18 PM
Hey everyone, anyone that wants to easily edit their statup and dont have the msconfig option... download a program called "Startup Control panel 2.7 by Mike Lin" I't works very well. smile
© UGN Security Forum