UGN Security
Posted By: paintballkid41 account passwords - 09/18/04 10:12 PM
At my library they have windows 98 and there is an administrators account and the one that people use to look up books and what not. On this one everything is locked and when you try to open something it says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" Could i install a keylogger or something to get the administrator password?
Posted By: Ghost Re: account passwords - 09/18/04 10:26 PM
I seriously doubt you could install a keylogger on that computer if you cant even browse it. As far as getting the admin password, i belive 98 stores their passwords in .PWL files in the windows directory. Try logging into a webmail account and attaching the administator PWL file (C:\windows\administrator.pwl) to an email. Go home, get the PWL file off your email account, and then use a PWL cracker to get the password.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: account passwords - 09/19/04 06:49 AM
:yawn: Hardware Key Logger
Posted By: Ice Re: account passwords - 09/19/04 07:05 AM
$100 thou smirk wish i had one thou heheh...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: account passwords - 09/19/04 09:52 AM
they'd probably never notice it, it looks like just a small connector, it's quite nice and works well
Posted By: ? Re: account passwords - 09/30/04 12:39 AM
What I suggest to do with stealing the password is of course to go with the hardware keylogger. If you don't have that there is another, cheaper way. Shoulder-surfing. You just crash the computer and ask the admin or librarian or whoever to come over and fix it for you. Then jus remember the password as they type it in. This works for me since I kinda have a photographic memory but it shouldn't be that hard, just practice it a little. The easiest way to crash a Win 9x machine is to type "C:/aux/aux" in a address bar, the run program, or even Internet Explorer. It will give you the blue screen of death. If you don't remember the whole password the first time do it again. It will piss them off a little but just act like you don't what [censored] about computers. Make them feel superior, like they are helping this poor little kid who needs to do his homework.
© UGN Security Forum