UGN Security
Posted By: Ice Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/14/03 10:01 PM
(yet another WORM for windows)

A new email-aware worm, Bibrog-B, poses as a computer game in an attempt to dupe users.

The worm, which is spreading (modestly) by email and through file sharing networks, is more subtle and devious than most Windows worms. Its payload contains not just malicious code but a shooting game too.

When users infect themselves via a virus they might notice something is wrong with their PC. The game component of Bibrog-B masks its true purposes.

While the shooting game is running, the worm is copying itself across the user's hard drive and preparing to forward itself to all contacts in the Outlook address book, or via file-sharing networks.

In a particularly devious twist the worm makes changes to an infected user's Internet browser so that it can display fake versions of genuine Web sites such as Hotmail, Citibank, MSN and Yahoo. Security firms believe this is an attempt to steal usernames and passwords.

"Many people assume a virus that destroys data is as bad as it gets. However, a virus which can swipe confidential details such as account information is a much greater potential danger," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos Anti-Virus.

More details of the Bibrog worm are available here http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bibrogb.html

The payload of the worm comes in the form of an executable attachment. Blocking such attachments in email, which have little or no legitimate use, is probably the simplest and most effective way to guard against Bibrog and other similar viruses.

===

The story can also me found on the front news page of undergroundnews = )
Found story at the Register
Posted By: Asteos Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/14/03 10:58 PM
Gidee-up windows worm! Lmao I'm loving it...
Posted By: Ice Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/14/03 11:51 PM
lol. 2 worms and 1 virus attacking Windows this weak lol
Posted By: Infinite Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/15/03 12:52 AM
It's amazing MS hasn't had a critical update this week. They had a good streak going there with no less than one or two a week. When is the population going to stop putting up with this [censored]???

Infinite
Posted By: Infinite Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/15/03 06:11 PM
I take that back. After checking this morning, sure as [censored] there is another critical update for WinXP on MS's update site. Big surprise.

Infinite
Posted By: Infinite Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/17/03 09:34 PM
And another one for windows 2k today. If you don't have webDAV installed your ok, but jesus, is there no end to this bullshit?

Infinite
Posted By: Ice Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/18/03 02:29 AM
Ya i know, they just KEEP coming and coming lol
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/18/03 07:54 PM
You gotta be careful these day... turn your back on your comp for a sec and suddenly you are infested with viruses=)

exciting isn't it?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/19/03 10:08 PM
2 more critical updates out today.

One affects 2K, both affect XP.

And yes, I know I don't have to post it everytime it happens. Just making a point for anyone following this thread. You guys are on your own to look for updates after this. In case you couldn't tell, I check at least once a day.

Infinite
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/19/03 11:29 PM
how 'bout I never check and sit happily secure behind my firewall and apache?

/me gives MS the birdie
Posted By: unreal Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/20/03 12:12 AM
Yep...Presently I sit behind a Cisco switch and personal firewall. Come and get me. laugh
Posted By: pergesu Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/20/03 02:41 AM
I'm just chillin too, iptables will take care of everything for me. Oh wait, it couldn't affect me anyway... wink
Posted By: Infinite Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/20/03 06:09 PM
Well I have a laptop that connects to my school's netowrk with thousands of other studnets. I like to try and keep it solid as I know the [censored] that I do to other people.

And additionally, relying 100% on your firewall is not a good policy. who's to say there isn't a hole in your firewall that someone can sneak through? Once they get by that you are totally open (well, not totally, but you get my point). Multiple layers af defense is always gonna be better than a single layer.

Infinite
Posted By: Ice Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/20/03 08:17 PM
heheh i cant wait till i get my laptop when i go to college = )

Well these another heres another problem with windows lol

heres the story (can be found in the news in the front page of UGN)

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,58124,00.html

man the problems just keep coming = (
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Tricky Windows worm poses as game - 03/20/03 11:33 PM
I'm not paranoid. Unless I'm a lucrative target (Business etc) then I estimate that I've got about .01% chance of being hacked with a router in any one day. That means out of ten thousand days I might be hacked once.

And within that .01% chance of being hacked, what are the chances that I'll lose anything I couldn't replace, or find broken that I couldn't fix in ten minutes? Virtually nil.
© UGN Security Forum