UGN Security
Posted By: Digital Geek Microsoft warns ... - 03/28/03 04:02 PM
"Microsoft has warned of a vulnerability affecting Windows 2000 and XP systems and that is especially bad news for NT 4.

Labelled 'important' this vulnerability was discovered in the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Endpoint Mapper protocol, which could allow denial of service (DoS) attacks to be carried out against systems."

Now the best part is ...

"Although patches have been issued for Windows 2000 and XP, NT 4's architecture makes one impossible, according to Microsoft."

You can read the rest of the story here

Now, all I want to say is this sucks. Big time ! I mean, I am so [censored] filled up with this [censored]. There is at least one MAJOR, IMPORTANT, CRITICAL, SERIOUS vulnerability coming out for Windows every week. And now they can't even make the patch for NT 4 ? What the [censored] is wrong with them ?

And then they say ...

"This vulnerability only permits a DoS attack and does not provide an attacker with the ability to modify or retrieve data on the remote machine,"

Yeah right ... see you next week.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Microsoft warns ... - 03/28/03 05:43 PM
eh, people shouldn't use NT 4 anyway. good excuse to further encourage people to get with the program.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Microsoft warns ... - 03/28/03 07:02 PM
I have a copy of NT4 in my office, I never used it though lol...
Posted By: Dark Knight Re: Microsoft warns ... - 03/31/03 01:31 AM
lol last year thats what my schools server ran off. They have up-graded to 2000 now. But still. haha
© UGN Security Forum