UGN Security
Posted By: visage Wiping index.dat - 08/26/03 12:48 PM
index.dat files keep a history of all the files within the directory. Now, being the little paranoid child I am, I wrote a simple cleaner for these files. I call it "clean" and it simply takes the first argument (the filename) and creates a file with the same name, essentially "over writing" the old file with a new one (yes...I realize there are much better ways of doing this...). But for some reason, I cannot get rid of the index.dat file located under The Documents and Settings folder of my User in Windows XP Home (C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Cookies\index.dat). I have tried my clean program, deleting it, opening and erasing its contents...I simply can't get rid of the data.

Any ideas?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Wiping index.dat - 08/26/03 09:23 PM
do you just get permission denied errors? If the file is write locked then you're out of luck. Try renaming the file too, and if successful, rebooting.
Posted By: visage Re: Wiping index.dat - 08/26/03 09:50 PM
The error is that it is in use by another person and/or file. I am the admin on the box so permission denied errors are a no go. I do not believe the file is write locked. And I can't rewrite for the same reason I can't delete.

Meh, I will probably just have to boot to DOS to delete it...

By the way, does anyone know a workaround or a hack so you can get WindowsXP to boot to DOS, or do I still have to use my windows 98 boot disk?

Thanks
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Wiping index.dat - 08/27/03 12:17 AM
Windows has file locking on important files. index.dat is one of them.

There is a way to disable the file locking, look in the newest issue of 2600 magazine under "Windows XP Tips and Trix" or whatnot...
Posted By: visage Re: Wiping index.dat - 08/27/03 09:30 AM
haha, I picked up the new one today without even seeing your post. Coincidence? I think not...

Thanks.
© UGN Security Forum