UGN Security
Posted By: Sicosis WiFi - 05/01/04 05:16 AM
Anyone know of any good WiFi sniffers for war driving, I know of Netstumbler, AirSnare, Snort!, and Kismet. I just want one that will run on XP and tell me SSID, IP, and whatever else I need to know.
Posted By: Infinite Re: WiFi - 05/01/04 05:23 AM
Netstumbler IS the best one for windows. Period.

If you're using *nix then go kismet.

http://www.wardriving.com has a nice list of wifi tools.
Posted By: weeve Re: WiFi - 05/02/04 01:57 PM
livejournal.com has two comms I know of for wardriving. war_driving, and wardrivers. for your pleasure. Though I know of no good linux ported wifi scanner apps as of yet to windows/xp. Airsnort looked like it had a port, but the two ports available don't work. My suggestion:/ Install a small linux install:D Like partition magic a 500meg partition, and add gentoo small version. I know it's like 80 megs. I don't know however how big it extracts to.

Yea Netstumblers is nice. For Pda there is something called MiniStumbler But I prefer PocketWinc.

Kismet does own for unices, and linux flavors. Unix variants are great for software. I trust kismet.

Netstumbler is not going to be able to detect APs with broadcast SSID disabled.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: WiFi - 05/02/04 02:56 PM
I use Network Stumbler wink ... best i;ve tried
Posted By: jonconley Re: WiFi - 05/02/04 11:54 PM
Some bootable linux distros will have the tools that you need. Try knoppix-std.org, which contains the following tools on live distro CD:

Quote:

wireless tools
/usr/bin/wireless/

* airsnarf : rogue AP setup utility
* airsnort : sniff, find, crack 802.11b
* airtraf : 802.11b network performance analyzer
* gpsdrive : use GPS and maps
* kismet 3.0.1 : for 802.11 what else do you need?
* kismet-log-viewer : manage your kismet logs
* macchanger : change your MAC address
* wellenreiter : 802.11b discovery and auditing
* patched orinoco drivers : automatic (no scripts necessary)
Also, just read a /. article and there was mention, I believe, of Kismet finding twice as many APs as Netstumbler.
Posted By: weeve Re: WiFi - 05/03/04 04:29 AM
yep Netstumbler is not going to be able to detect APs with broadcast SSID disabled. that's probably one of many reasons /. had that listed.
© UGN Security Forum