UGN Security
Posted By: sinetific Windows Users - 05/14/04 08:19 PM
Im repairing a computer for my boss from his house that is so over loaded with spyware/adware that you can't get it online without it crashing from being overloaded with pop-ups. I think it's a chain reaction one program pops up an ad, another pops one up because a new window opened and so forth. It's hijacked the browser so google is no longer google. All searches are rigged and it won't let you get to adware removal tools. Most of this I've been able to get around but still some is very difficult to remove. I haven't even began to virus scan it yet. It's probably loaded.
Anyways, After I repair it, I want to set it up so no one can install anything or change any setting except for the admin. I mean install NOTHING. No browser companions, search bars, games, or any crap. Will a simple user account with no administrative privledges be sufficient? (I'm not much of a windows admin) Or are there some more drastic measures I should take?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows Users - 05/15/04 05:27 AM
It should be sufficient; one thing you'll most definately want is this ; it makes it so that your homepage can't be changed by anyone, including you... Makes it so those f'in bots can't hijack your homepage wink ...

I've yet to "relay" the article to UGN though, but it works 110%
Posted By: ? Re: Windows Users - 05/16/04 04:18 AM
make sure you create another user account that does not have admin privledges and tell him to use that. If he is browsing the web under the admin account, the spy ware has the same power of the admin account.

Also install Mozilla Firebird, don't let him use IE.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows Users - 05/16/04 04:44 AM
Firebird is too buggy don't bother with it. I use the computer at work all day, it crashes on average of 8 times a day.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Windows Users - 05/16/04 05:17 AM
I used fire* and have had it crash probably once in the last year, and even that time I am not sure if it was fire*'s fault. And I surf about 2hrs a day atleast. What the hell sites are you going to?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Windows Users - 05/16/04 06:34 AM
Yeh, no kidding. Phoenix crashed on me once in a while. FireFox almost never, and I don't think FireBird has ever crashed on me.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows Users - 05/16/04 08:09 AM
Mozilla has rarely crashed on me; FireFox however does it all the time.

See, there is a critical bug in FireFox which makes it so that when you're logging out of an Ensim server maintenance system it crashes; I have to deal with a couple every few hours; hence my delema with even bothering with it.

FireFox is hella fast, if you need a good fast browser and you don't do anything important, by all means use it... If you're working and using it, i don't reccommend it at all.
Posted By: dashocker Re: Windows Users - 05/17/04 05:52 AM
Yet another amazing regedit found by Gizmo wink
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows Users - 05/17/04 06:19 AM
What regedit?
Posted By: Ghost Re: Windows Users - 05/17/04 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
It should be sufficient; one thing you'll most definately want is this ; it makes it so that your homepage can't be changed by anyone, including you... Makes it so those f'in bots can't hijack your homepage wink ...
I think thats what he is talking about.

Sin, which Windows is this guy using? If it's any of the Servers, 2000, XP Pro, or one of the NTs (not sure, never used NT) you might want to try using Group Policy. Group Policy (Start, Run, gpedit.msc) allows you to restrict certain things that software and users can do to your computer. Im not using Pro at the moment, so i cant really see which options should be changed, but im sure you can figure it out.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows Users - 05/17/04 09:56 AM
Oh, that regedit :x... I'll get some added tomorrow or something..
© UGN Security Forum