UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/09/09 08:46 AM
Well, I'm finally getting to putting Linux back on the HTPC, and it seems MediaTomb has come a ways since I first looked it up (it actually has on the fly transcoding now!)...

Only problem is, for some reason the Ubuntu install croaks via svideo so I have to put a monitor on it for the install :sad:...

It'll have to wait till later this weekend at the earliest (as I'm sick this weekend) but we'll see how it goes...

And yeh, it was a pain in the [censored] to backup 1tb of data over the house lol... But luckily I have about 3.5tb of disks over various systems of mine... I really need to eventually make some sort of data server (6x 1.5tb hd's in a raid0 array would be ideal (up to 10 if I went with the ASUS P5Q Premium mobo)) but funds will be lacking for such projects for some time...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/10/09 11:07 PM
Decided to go with Mythbuntu instead of Ubuntu/MediaTomb; have the SVideo output working just fine now (which sucked as I had to find a monitor for the HTPC which meant I had to uninstall it from its location and run around the house with it lol)...

Trying to get all of the filesharing jazz working right now; so it's a give and take operation; should be done by tonight (though I may take a nap at some point lol)
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/10/09 11:22 PM
It's been so long since I've used the SVideo output on the HTPC that I forgot I even had it setup on the SDTV lol; I thought the only cable plugged into it was the DSUB to the old HDTV that got busted...

I thought the hard part was the backup all of the data, shut down, move the hw to the back room, install linux and move back; but it seems to be getting Thundar (XFCE's file manager) to work how I assumed it should... Ended up installing Gnome just for Nautilus...

Everything seems to be up and running fine; other than the odd memorycheck loop that the system was preforming; it would just sit and choke once it hit the max ram and then restart the check... Just set the bios to do a quick scan (which was grossly mislabeled, darn you soyo!)
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/12/09 04:15 AM
Ok, the partition schema on MythBuntu annoyed me; not to mention I never was a fan of MythTV, so I'm going to be reformatting this week and going with my initial plans of Ubuntu 9.04 with MediaTomb and likely XBMC...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/12/09 04:57 AM
And for note, since someone is bound to ask, the partition schema I don't appreciate is that it puts all of my space for /var/lib vs the entire system, so, should i choose to actually *do* something with the system other than myth I have to think on my toes...

EX:
Quote:
gremelin@mediacenter:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 12G 1.9G 8.7G 18% /
tmpfs 628M 0 628M 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 628M 412K 628M 1% /var/run
varlock 628M 0 628M 0% /var/lock
udev 628M 208K 628M 1% /dev
tmpfs 628M 0 628M 0% /dev/shm
lrm 628M 2.4M 626M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
/dev/sda6 687G 106G 581G 16% /var/lib

So, the "home" directory has 8gb space...

Normally, Ubuntu would accredit all of the space to one large partition, which seems messy but works for just about anything:
Quote:
gremelin@gremelin-desktop:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 36G 5.0G 29G 15% /
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 249M 112K 249M 1% /var/run
varlock 249M 0 249M 0% /var/lock
udev 249M 140K 249M 1% /dev
tmpfs 249M 92K 249M 1% /dev/shm
lrm 249M 2.4M 246M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
/dev/fd0 1.4M 0 1.4M 0% /media/disk

Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/14/09 02:08 AM
So, it turns out that current versions of XBMC have their own uPNP server; so I don't really need to mess with MediaTomb (other than the fact that the apt repo evidently has a severely broken binary for MediaTomb) so I've got myself up and running.

I was going to work on getting LIRC working, but I can't for the life of me recall where my Hauppague or FireFly remotes are, eventhough I have the adapters in the machine lol... Plus I don't have my remote programming cable to just download a genaric code online right this second.

So for the time being I've got XBMC auto loading on the ubuntu box and I'm using the web ui as a remote (which I do quite enjoy actually).

It took a bit of time to get Apache configured to use the server as a local dev machine, but it's all up and running now.

I need to look into getting some more memory (I have 512x2+256); the motherboard supports 3gb, so that'd be nice... I'd also like to eventually add another drive to the machine as well.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Project: Ubuntu 9.04 w/MediaTomb - 05/24/09 12:38 PM
Well, I couldn't get MediaTomb to work with the XBox (known issues with MediaTomb) and for some reason I couldn't get the built in uPnP server to work that comes with XBMC; so I figured I don't really need media transcoding on that machine, so I threw ushare on it and have it running beautifully...
© UGN Security Forum