Your browser does not seem to support CSS. If images appear below, please disregard them.
Page 2 of 2   < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16721 - 07/27/02 12:18 AM Re: Whats your distro?
Asteos Offline
Asteos Offline

Nadia
What are you saying? I don't have a right of opinion, because if you are then that's not cool at all and you can suck a fat one But if not then whatever. I didn't say slackware was elite, I said it kicks the shit out of redhat and mandrake though, because it does. I can stay here all day listing why. I have used redhat before, many many times installing it. It's so fucking bugged out it's not even funny. (hint: if you're running redhat 7^ it's a good idea to monitor your lpd deamon if it's installed) In my *humble-shouldn't-be-so-loyal-to-a-certain-distro* opinion, Redhat aint shit compared to Slack, sorry. If you've run the shit then you know what I'm talking about. Slack will do anything you tell it to, faster and more securely than rh would.

=~ s/boredom/ studies/g
Sponsored Links
#16722 - 07/27/02 07:25 AM Re: Whats your distro?
Predator Offline
Predator Offline

Belgium
Quote:
Originally posted by Asteos:
Fuck redhat AND its bitch, Mandrake [Alien]
If you use rh or mandrake, please ask yourself why. It's never too late to switch.
It's about that one, it's a clear flame to rh and mandrake to me... . I don't mind you telling your opinion, but telling me they suck, gimme 1 reason why rh or mandrake does suck

Never argue with fools... They will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience...
#16723 - 07/27/02 09:51 AM Re: Whats your distro?
Asteos Offline
Asteos Offline

Nadia
*Sigh* You really want to hear me rant about this? You asked for one reason, but I know that means a complete-in-depth detailed list. So here goes.

I don't like bashing on linux, whatever the distribution, because it's all the same open-source community n shit, but you have to admit that some distros ...*cough*SLACK have a huge advantage over redhat.

The install program for rh crashes on occasions where you select independent packages, this isn't so bad the first few times because of the easy-ass install-I don't mind going back, but after a while it gets so ... fucking [Bang] annoying!

Redhat is also very mainstream if you haven't noticed. Let me explain how this affects the product as a whole: Redhat is well-known and many people probably use it, for a while at least. Lots of windows users who are looking for an alternative to microsoft's bullshit, propriety-ass software will migrate to linux. Do you see where this is going? I'll explain more ... they come to the linux scene and are almost automatically ambushed with rh's 'easy to install' shit all up in their faces. They think to themselves, "Easy linux install? Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for." So they install it and it to make things even easier rh offers a "Graphical Login" option for X. This means that when you boot your computer it gives you a login screen, not just to the system, but loads X immediately afterwards. Now I'm thinking to myself ... I know that there's nothing wrong with choosing to run X, but under redhat it SUCKS. At times it's very unstable and way too slow. So anyways, rh sees this and that is why they make shit so easy. But making it easy doesn't automatically mean good things. The only thing the user will learn is how to manipulate X into their own creation. They wont learn the rest of the system and what it has to offer untill they advance and switch to a better distro. They might also pick up on how to unzip files and hopefully, install them so they can use all their favorite x apps.

Anyways, as I was saying, it's slow as death. I ran rh on an i686, which isn't too shabby, but it ran like shit. Very slow. And to be honest I don't like the package manager, either. The system is riddled with bugs, and overall is just a big pain in the ass [Puke]

Those are my own reasons as to why I say redhat sucks. RH may not suck for you - maybe you like dealing with all that ... just HAPPY shit I mentioned ... but I don't. If you still think I'm lying or don't know what I'm talking about go ahead and try it out yourself and soon you too will come to realise the weakness of rh ... eventually.

The most useful thing I see rh (or mandrake)
doing as part of the linux community is getting people the hell away from windows, and that's always a plus. Maybe user-friendliness has it's purposes afteral, but if you want a real OS with balls of steel redhat probably isn't what you're looking for. If you want an easy to use linux system, PhatLinux, Mandrake or redhat is probably for you.

Okay I sound like a damn commercial now so I think I'll stop. Hope you're happy

=~ s/boredom/ studies/g
#16724 - 07/27/02 10:41 AM Re: Whats your distro?
Predator Offline
Predator Offline

Belgium
Ok, now i'm satisfied

I never had any problems with the install of redhat or heard about it, but it's possible.

And yes slack is much better right out of the box, but you do pay a price for that one, but who cares )

Never argue with fools... They will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience...
#16725 - 07/28/02 03:12 AM Re: Whats your distro?
hKzKnight Offline
hKzKnight Offline

LAN
Hmm ok, this is going to be locked u flammers. One is, Linux is linux, they have dif distros, like flavors of jolly rancher. Slackware is good, yet mandrake is just a different feel. It's easier to install and setup, true. I have a life, I want to not spend a shit load of time setting up. It's not for n00bs, it's good for starting, yet also has different features, it can be for adviced as well. I've used over 75% of the distros (even small) in the world. You want hardcore, use Debain, some might say. I say PICK WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT. I wouldn't think of calling me a n00b!

-hKzKnight
"The ghost... Was never there and you'll never see me"
Page 2 of 2   < 1 2

Member Spotlight
Gremelin

Gremelin
Portland, OR; USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Sponsored Links
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics46,470