Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4128 08/27/02 01:27 PM
OP Offline
Rumor has it, the gov has something planned. It's some kind of watermark, it's hardware that will be put in all new computers. Companies have no choice but to use it. You can no longer burn cds, download mp3, movies, blah blah. Unless you pay a subscription or something... If you do the watermark device will turn of your system. Something like that, was talking to some friends. If you have heard about it, please tell me where and more about it. Just passing about what I heard. I heard what is gonna be done with TVs aswell. This I must say is bad for us in the future. As well the government can check up on us.. Blah blah, yet I know someone will be able to crack the system.

-hKzKnight
"The ghost... Was never there and you'll never see me"
#4129 08/27/02 02:21 PM
D
D
I think you might be confusing the government with Microsoft's proposed Palladium(i think) OS.
Check around our UBB for more info.

#4130 08/27/02 04:06 PM
S
nobody
nobody
S
If thats what he's talking about, I dont think It will happen. It uses a chip on the motherboard of your computer implementing "public-key cryptography". This would create a new standard for the design of computers and what about open source *nix users? will they have to adapt their open source to be able to work on the new standard of motherboards to be produced by intel and AMD? (both intel and amd have already agreed to manufactuer hardware for microsofts new iniative.)

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/11/palladium/print.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25891.html

Personally i think its bullshit and people wont stand for this crap. Who wants a mchine that controls them? I like to have control of my machine.

#4131 08/27/02 05:27 PM
UGN's Resident Homo
UGN's Resident Homo
yes, i believe you are refering to microsoft's Palladium. i doubt it will become a reality, not because people understand the significance of microsoft owning your computer, but simply because people have no wish to give up their illegal music, adult content, etc.

"It's better to burn out, than to fade away."
#4132 08/27/02 08:07 PM
OP Offline
There we go, sorry, didn't know about it till I overhead today. I agree there will be some way to hack/crack it. The government is going to force it upon us. Yet I say it will be mighty hard, yet I also think it will never happen. [censored] Palladium! LOL, it's our job of UGN people, if ever made to kill it... Eh lol.

-hKzKnight
#4133 08/27/02 10:55 PM
Enforcement Admin
Enforcement Admin
Well... How about this... If the Government forces it upon us, we'll exercise our constitutional rights and start some local militias and kick the politicians out of office and ship them to Israel where they belong. Then we will start Democracy over again and elect Harry Brown president and everything will be good... You guys with me on this?

#4134 08/27/02 11:01 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Policeware, every OS is now required to run it, that includes windows, unix, os2, etc. Its to ensure that people stop pirating software and doing illegal activities.

Policeware isn't an idea anymore, it was passed in the law, so lookout for new operating systems, I'm not sure how they expect it to be on unix based operating systems since their all open source and the majority are not even located in the USA, which is why some hardware companies are going to step up to the plates.

I may not be 110% on the majority of this, but i know that policeware will be a reality soon, and i know that it was passed so theirs not that much i can be wrong on in this area.

Donate to UGN Security here.
UGN Security, Back of the Web, and VNC Web Services Owner
#4135 08/28/02 03:12 AM
C
UGN GFX Whore
UGN GFX Whore
C
Is this talkng about what you are talking about Gizzy?

http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

#4136 08/28/02 05:48 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
yesm... that petition is to over rule the original act that was signed :/, i think i signed it sometime

#4137 08/28/02 06:11 AM
UGN Supporter
UGN Supporter
policeware is bullshit, we should find a way to crack it, it would b great to known for it wink . Stupid [censored] pigs, i signed it as well.

2 people can keep a secret as long as one is dead
#4138 08/28/02 08:03 AM
OP Offline
/me signed... Gotta stupid the government from controlling us all... Any other things the gov has planned for us?

-hKzKnight
#4139 08/28/02 02:58 PM
D
D
lol, what a bunch of pussies. i mean, instead of figuring out a better way to secure music, they just pressure the government to start this policeware crap? what a bunch of horse [censored]. if this becomes a reality, i will just not use a computer anymore. im not big on these anti-government speeches, but they are seriously infringing on freedom of expression and to exchange ideas freely. Im all for curse's idea of a militia smile although i dont know who Harry Brown is, if hes anti-big business im in. I hope in the future GWB well be regarded as the worst President ever.

#4140 08/28/02 05:37 PM
T
T
"i mean, instead of figuring out a better way to secure music, they just pressure the government to start this policeware crap?"

Well, it secures the music better than most other ideas, doensn't it?

"There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life."
--Fellini
#4141 08/28/02 06:46 PM
S
S
Why not [censored] the government over at their own game? Some one get the source for policeware, write a program that overwrites, or bypasses, or diverts it in some way. You know that if policeware is not open source there has to be a way around it.

#4142 08/28/02 08:44 PM
M
M
I don't think this will come in to effect, but if it does, what's to stop us from using old hardware and modified versions of linux that don't need that type of hardware?

Cha want some w***up?

http://www.dopeskill.com
#4143 08/28/02 08:47 PM
OP Offline
Like a monopoly.... New games, music, hardware won't work on the machine... Even internet (prob)... They'll cut you off. If we can find a way to bypass the system... Then hooah... Hackers been doing this [censored] for years, we just gotta expand. Sometimes the way to beat the system is to be in the system (an inside scource). Maybe one day someone will know and it will leak out.

-hKzKnight
#4144 08/28/02 09:30 PM
Enforcement Admin
Enforcement Admin
dashocker... Harry Brown was the Libertarian's Presidential Canidate last election. But the news media absolutely refuses to give him or the Libertarians any publicity, most likely due to the fact that people would like what they stand for and break the endless loop of only Republicans and Democrats holding the Presidential seat.

#4145 08/28/02 11:23 PM
C
UGN Member
UGN Member
C
good words curse the same thing also happened with that one old guy bucannon he only got very little publicity and they made fun of him. he tried to attend a presidential debate in massachutes last election and they would not let him talk prolly due to the fact that the ppl would like what he had to say... but republicans and democrats are the fukin same maby the ppl apart of it do not no but they are run by the same ppl and they both have the same agenda... need to kick all these fukin morons into some place like afganastan and let the old men rape them.. well i just brought this kinda off topic. haha

_-={N3TMASK.COM}=-_ [MAXIMUM INTERNET SECURITY]
#4146 08/29/02 01:12 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Actually if you're found with a cracked or removed copy of policeware its a violation :-/. best bet would be to get an old 10meg disk, reprogram it to read from that, and install win3.1 on it lol...

#4147 08/29/02 08:02 AM
OP Offline
Well soon enough using such old PCs, OSes, etc... will to be a violation. What's the dif, most of the time we do something illegal (of some extent) here... It shall be learned, and conquered...

-hKzKnight
#4148 08/29/02 11:21 AM
X
X
vote Gore 2004

#4149 08/29/02 02:53 PM
D
D
tbg your right. but thats not really prevention. its intolerance. which, as frequently demonstrated by our lovely educational system, suffices only to make incredible misjustice.
ph33r my vocabulary.
OMG, the almighty negro, Xun0, has returned???
we may never know...

#4150 08/29/02 03:54 PM
DollarDNS Owner
DollarDNS Owner
/me remembers the rumors Xun0 had IceDog spread around the last time he took his exit.

Xun0's chess skills are to be feared! wink

Domain Registration, Hosting, Management
http://www.dollardns.net
#4151 08/29/02 05:06 PM
UGN Supporter
UGN Supporter
who cares if it is a violation to remove the policeware... if u cant get caught. Its illegal to dl pirated software, etc. and everyone still does it. and Xun0... gore is a puss, id go for libertarian or whatever the [censored].

#4152 08/29/02 09:19 PM
OP Offline
LOL... do what you gotta do to survive. The government is gonna have a lot of violations... maybe they'll give up and realized it's a waste of [censored] $.

-hKzKnight
#4153 08/29/02 10:46 PM
Enforcement Admin
Enforcement Admin
Gore? lmao we aren't Communists...

#4154 08/30/02 12:06 AM
A
UGN Old Skewl
UGN Old Skewl
A
God this bill pisses me off. If they pass it i'll move to another country. Its just more restrictions against us because they aren't making as much money as they "could". You'll get fined $500,000 dollars and upto 5 years in jail if your caught with copy righted materials on your system and if you remove the policeware device from your systems...you get the same fine and jail. What if OS's like Linux/Unix don't support the Policeware movement? Ohhh guess what you go to jail for running that OS....omg thats such bull [censored]. Thats way to extreme and it won't be passed for that reason. Stupid [censored] poloticians are greedy for more cash...

#4155 08/30/02 01:05 AM
UGN Supporter
UGN Supporter
Quote:
Originally posted by hKzKnight:
LOL... do what you gotta do to survive. The government is gonna have a lot of violations... maybe they'll give up and realized it's a waste of [censored] $.
Think guys!

A waste of money? It will make money. Lets see, jail people. That means jobs, whole new agencys to trak all this... More jobs. Building new jails... More jobs. Welcome to the new war on drugs people. Difference is this time it is a war on every kid in america. Well anyone who ever downloaded an MP3.

We should start a counter culture. PIII's and below running any version of linux/BSD that has a TCP/IP stack built in. The only way to beat this is drop out of it.

Look, You are in a perpetual upgrade now. Even with Linux. To get the new kernel with the new support for your new GRFX card you upgrade right? Or to use the latest Office you need the latest Windows, wich means you might need a faster PC.

[censored] it!!!! We are now at the 2 gig mark. So P4's to PII are plenty fast for a *nix system. I mean don't load the dumbass games, one (maybe) desktop environment..... Your system will be fine.

Wana get a copy of the spyware? Write to the feds and say you are making a linux flavor and need to add the policeware to be lawful. Maybe they will give you a copy.

But the only way to beat this is to drop out of it.
Policeware is now Law
The technology in palladem will be law. (congress is pushing as you read this)
It will be a combo of software and hardware.
Data will pass through your CPU encrypted.

Hell it will be passing to the monitor encrypted. You can't just hack this one. Unless you know how to take a CPU apart and find where this chip will be built into it take it out and put it back together. Anyone? Didn't think so.

Get a decent Machine now. Hell 486's can still run windows 98. So get a decent box. Linux or your favorite version of winblows. Mabey some spare parts while you can.

Like ram, HD, CMOS battery, and stick with what you got. Face the fact that to get the new software and hardware you lose privacy.

This technology will be embeded in

PDA's
Laptops
Digital cammeras
MP3 players
ect ect ect ect

Apple will be switch to intel soon to have them make their chips. Compaq makes the Alpha platform. (You can bet they will comply.)

You can not fight it. Somewhere in the evolution of this country, our economy took the front seat to our rights. I kinda support the unabomber now.

Read his manifesto here
http://rrfn.promodtecnologies.com/K-base/Unabomber.html

If you do decided to follow this crazy tech ride, You will find your self with less and less rights. I will use this stuff at work. But at home I will have what will soon be called my old computers.

#4156 08/30/02 02:52 AM
C
UGN GFX Whore
UGN GFX Whore
C
i think if they did this, as long as enough people know about the bad sides, that it would just [censored] our economy. I would just give up on computers if it got bad enough, and if enough people like being able to trade free music and all that, they might too. If so many people stop getting on the internet, all those sites fall through, and computer sales go down (assuming they go up before this gets passed), and so on. Well, maybe not, I am not leet with economics.

I don't really know who I would vote for, because I haven't paid much attention to that sort of thing. I will later on though, when I get closer to being able to vote.

ah, after reading Learner's post...I don't know what to think about how it would affect our economy, will someone tell me what to think? I know I will buy alot less cd's if i can't trade music.

#4157 08/30/02 07:33 AM
OP Offline
It's more money to build prisons, our taxes pay for the governemnt to set this [censored] up... If it's not a waste of money... Then it's an equal stand point, the waste and make deal. It always is. I got all sorts of old machines at my house... 486, p2 233, p2 400, p3 600, Dell Inspiron 8100 (laptop)... I'm gonna keep these... Keep them for all my old games, mp3s, burning (old burner and software there)... All run *nix 2. So the old computer idea is what I thought of at first... However we don't know for a fact that if you are caught with old technology, you will be fined etc... Also, I'd buy a new machine just to [censored] around with... Curious how to take it out, what they can see... Etc... Consider this the greatest hacker generation... We truly need the skills to continue living the way we want. We can't control the people, the government, and well where we live perhaps. But I can gartunee you this... It will leak one day... It will.

-hKzKnight
#4158 08/30/02 11:42 AM
P
P
This is never gonna happen, windows maybe, but who cares about windows?
Open source operating systems, no way jos�! And if the ever would do it (/me shrugs), just get rid of that shitty code and compile it yourself wink

/me is happy that he lives in Europe

Never argue with fools... They will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience...
#4159 08/30/02 11:52 AM
Enforcement Admin
Enforcement Admin
Learner, we need some local Militia supplies, can you help us out?

#4160 08/30/02 04:03 PM
OP Offline
I can help out. I know some idea of places, lol... Hell we can get airsoft rifle/smgs... blah blah and scare them! harrr... LOL... Well I doubt we'll need a militia. I doubt they will [censored] around wit *nix, I will be mighty unhappy if they do.

-hKzKnight
#4161 08/30/02 05:19 PM
UGN Supporter
UGN Supporter
Heh, take the government back by force hu? I like it. But wait that is a threat to National Security. ha ha ha ha

Curse I like you all that much more now. What many people don't realise is this country was fonded on the FACT that is people ARE supposed to be a threat to national security. We should be able to take this [censored] down in flames and start over if we want to.

I think it is about damn time to do it too. A mallitia isn't what we need though. Too small and it would get wiped out before it was even a threat. What we need is a movement. A cause that many can get behind. Then you bring weapons into the picture AFTER you have you followers who work day and night for the cause.

The reason this WILL happen guys is a combination of reasons.

1.) The government is passing laws to make it manditory. Only a select few will have outdated P.C.'s in 5 years

2.) money money money. Every time MS puts out a new OS the econmoy picks up a bit. The RIAA and movie peeps save money, and most computer users will think it is better than the old P.C's

3.) That brings us to 3. Most people will be too stupid to realise what the big deal is till it's too late. We are a minority in the world wide picture.

4.)Once the hardware is no the CPU Linux and any other program out there will be forced to adapt or lose the entire P.C. market base.

5.) Many program companys and other corperations will want this. You will no longer be able to pirate software, or blow the whistle on you company. Every thing you do will be controlled and have rights attached.

All you can do people is hang onto your old boxes and keep them running.

About the economy.... It's like this

The government dosent have to be pulling in money for the economy to be good. Money just has to be moving around a lot. Construction, jail jobs, courts, all this helps the economy. Kinda messed up, but it dose.

You know this country can't afford to stop the war on drugs? All the DEA agents out there getting paid. All the media money spent and jobs created there. The jobs police hold busting people for dime bags, jailer jobs, cooks in the jails, cops in the airports, Think about it.

In a day how much money is moved fighting drugs?

How much is moved fighting AIDS? Or hunger for that matter?

Piracy is the next BIG BAD crime politicians will use to prove they are doing their jobs with. Mean while software companies and the RIAA are lining their pockets with money doing what is called "lobying".

What a crock of [censored]. I call it briding.

Hey kids before alchol was made leagle after the 1920's weed was leagle. Did you know that? Many peeps smoke up instead of drinking cause it was leagle. Guess who spend millions a year fighting to keep weed outlawed? The alchol lobby. Ever seen a high person beat their wife? Or rape a chick?

Happens all the time with liquor. Our government has been bought and sold. We have been left with a country that has dieing freedoms because the people in power sold out.

Jackson said we should have a revolution ever 20 years. He was a president. There was a kind of one in the 60's Now it is 40 years later.....

#4162 08/30/02 06:31 PM
T
T
"You know this country can't afford to stop the war on drugs? All the DEA agents out there getting paid. All the media money spent and jobs created there. The jobs police hold busting people for dime bags, jailer jobs, cooks in the jails, cops in the airports, Think about it."

Now call me ignorant, but doesn't that mean their spending (wasting) money on it?

"There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life."
--Fellini
#4163 08/30/02 07:45 PM
OP Offline
YES!!!! BURN THE WHITE HOUSE! LOL. Like burning paris. Hackers shall rule the US. LOL, well lets start planning how to create the UGN government. Now is the time to start. We need Dan Quayle to lead the US, ok maybe not... He is a [censored] idiot (sorry watching some video I found about him... tiz a bit of a comedy... playing around how dumb he is). Anyway, Anarchy in the USA! pimp

-hKzKnight
#4164 08/30/02 09:59 PM
Enforcement Admin
Enforcement Admin
I'll be the dude with the pitch fork...

#4165 08/30/02 10:31 PM
A
UGN Old Skewl
UGN Old Skewl
A
I'll have a 12 gauge shotgun yelling absurd words that have nothing to do with why we are there.

#4166 08/31/02 03:14 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
i'm up for it wink .. for $200 i can get a Tek9 hehe

#4167 08/31/02 09:14 AM
UGN Supporter
UGN Supporter
I have a BB gun and rubber band gun. I can throw rocks as well :x

Page 1 of 2 1 2