Rate Thread
#5805 12/05/04 04:54 AM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
World War III has erupted. Twenty-six people have arrived at your bomb shelter that has room for only ten people. You must decide who will be allowed to enter the shelter. These people will stay in the shelter for three months. You must select 5 males and 5 females. When the shelter reopens, they may be the last humans on Earth. The future of the world may depend upon your decisions. Make sure that skills are not duplicated to make the most effective group of 10.

MALES
Historian
College Professor
Janitor
Football Player
Accountant
Shop Teacher
Manager at McDonald�s
8-Year-Old Child
Musician
Scientist
Preacher
Naval Officer
Policeman with Gun

FEMALES
Secretary
High School Cheerleader
Sales Executive
Truck Driver
Teacher
Chef
Artist
8 Year Old Child
Architect
Psychiatrist
Air Force Pilot
Grandma
Housewife (6 months pregnant)

This is a critical thinking assignment for me and thought it would be fun here since i haven't seen a good debate in awhile.

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
Apostrophe T, need this torture?-They Might Be Giants
#5806 12/05/04 05:11 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
no gizmo?

Donate to UGN Security here.
UGN Security, Back of the Web, and VNC Web Services Owner
#5807 12/05/04 05:23 AM
Ice Offline
UGN News Staff
UGN News Staff
Quote:
no gizmo?
LOL, and no Ice smirk Comon smirk
Thats a little tuffy, dont feel like picking lol.

Good artists copy, great artists
steal.

-Picasso
#5808 12/05/04 05:27 AM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
giz manager at mcdonalds was there, lol

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
#5809 12/05/04 05:37 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Well, can't have a preacher and an 8yo in the same place, so I decided that we'd need a man of the cloth...

Another tossup was the teacher or the Archetict, but the archetict won... Mainly because we had a college professor in the other group...

Standings:
MALES
Historian - Someone who knows the past, what other reason?
College Professor - He should know his [censored], or he'll be voted off the island
Musician - Music is the gateway to the soul
Scientist - if I need some meth, who else do i need to turn to in the group?
Preacher

FEMALES
Secretary - We can get a little "you want a raise" action
High School Cheerleader - She'd be a HS student, thus young and able to be able to have a longer lifeline after the incodent (theoretically)
Chef - We need someone to cook don't we?
Artist - Art, art, and more art! Art of the destruction mainly wink ...
Architect - We'll probably need to rebuild no?

#5810 12/05/04 05:56 AM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
I picked shop teacher as builder though, cause a shop teacher could build a shelter and not care about esthetics

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
#5811 12/05/04 07:05 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Yeh, but the shop teacher would build a house and leave out the bathroom; the archetect could teach everyone how everythign SHOULD be

#5812 12/05/04 02:14 PM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
true, why not the 6 month pregnant lady? 2 lives in one?

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
#5813 12/05/04 03:50 PM
G
UGN Super Poster
UGN Super Poster
G
My List:

MALES

Historian
8-Year-Old Child
Musician
Scientist
Policeman with Gun

FEMALES

8 Year Old Child
Architect
Housewife (6 months pregnant)
Teacher
Chef

However, if I was heartless and able to turn away a child or an unborn baby my list would be as follows:

MALES

Historian
Accountant
Musician
Scientist
Policeman with Gun

FEMALES

Teacher
Chef
Artist
Architect
Psychiatrist

boys lie.

<sintax>
No we do not!!!!
</sintax>
#5814 12/05/04 04:19 PM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
Why? And You can't duplicate skills so if you have one 8 year old you can't have the other. I would pick the 8 year old girl over the boy if anything because the men can continue to reproduce a lot longer than women can, there fore the 8 year old girl when mature can help repopulate more than the boy child can.
Also Remember This could be the satrt of a whole new world we are talking about, so emotion should play no part in it. It should be the best for the human race not just for your feelings.

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
#5815 12/05/04 04:38 PM
G
UGN Super Poster
UGN Super Poster
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Spyrios:
Why? And You can't duplicate skills so if you have one 8 year old you can't have the other. I would pick the 8 year old girl over the boy if anything because the men can continue to reproduce a lot longer than women can, there fore the 8 year old girl when mature can help repopulate more than the boy child can.
Also Remember This could be the satrt of a whole new world we are talking about, so emotion should play no part in it. It should be the best for the human race not just for your feelings.
That is why I would suck at that. Let someone else pick and I'll cry in a corner somewhere. wink

boys lie.

<sintax>
No we do not!!!!
</sintax>
#5816 12/05/04 04:45 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Spyrios:
true, why not the 6 month pregnant lady? 2 lives in one?
She has no productive skills in my circle of my new world order...

And I am heartless, the little girl and the pregnent mother have no skills besides being able to be uNFed; women want equality, learn a trade...

#5817 12/06/04 01:31 AM
D
D
Interesting....very interesting.

MALES:

Football player (strong, manual labor, follows orders)
Shop teacher (practical, can build stuff, patient leader)
Musician (creative, people need music)
Scientist (would be necessary for a new world)
Manager @ McDonald's (leader, manangerial skills but without authority complex)

FEMALES:

Artist (creative, people need art)
Housewife (6 months pregnant) (2 lives in 1, motherly role)
Air Force Pilot (navigation and transportation, follows orders)
Architect (knows how to build stuff)
High School Cheerleader (young, fertile, can survive without assistance unlike a child)

My first thought was of survival as opposed to rebuilding a new world. You should think about the group dynamic. Can't have too many leaders or too many followers. Chose those who wouldn't conflict (a preacher and a scientist might not be good, which is more practical?).

Good topic.

(PS, why no doctor?)

#5818 12/06/04 02:46 AM
If there were 10 people that were going to start over, wouldn't there be severe inbreding after the first few generations? If the human race ended up like Appilacian Hicks, I'd rather they'd die out and the lizard mutants take over.

But anyway, here's who I'd pick:
Males:
Historian, someone's gotta have a record of the past to know where we came from.
Scientist, depending on the field, can keep the sciences and development going and possibly medical stuff if they are trained as such.
Naval Officer, key leadership role, plus has nautical and military skills. Also can tie knots.
Shop Teacher, builder and craftsman, also capable of doing maintainace of the bomb shelter.
Preacher, this is more of a moral choice, faith can get people through tough times and can also be a councelor/confidant for people in the new era.

Females:
High School Cheerleader, what can I say, I have a lolita complex.
Artist, the world needs creativity and badass tribal designs.
Chef, food preperation and sanitation, food = morale.
Housewife with child, 2 lives in one, plus the child will easily adapt and be socialized in the new world. Housewife would be capable of acting as a midwife for future children later down the road.
Teacher, only if she's a hottie or a milf, someone has to be able to teach the younger generations.

There we go, my list of people to restart the world.

"Remember how much fun you had shooting spitwads at the teacher in seventh grade? Imagine applying that kind of attitude to actually [censored] with Mitsubishi!"
- Jello Biafra
#5819 12/06/04 04:29 AM
Der �belt�ter
Der �belt�ter
Me, my gun, and some random hot girl to procreate (i.e. sex0r) with.

#5820 12/06/04 05:35 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
so, unreal will take both 8 year olds :-x

#5821 12/06/04 05:07 PM
UGN Elite
UGN Elite
MALES
Football Player - Strength and good DNA most likely.
This is why many women are atracted to muscle, it
usally means good breading
Scientist - This is brains, someone who can see things through if they went to collage 6 to 8 years. Could help with radiation poisioning
Naval Officer - Best of both worlds, brains and he is fit. Naval officers I am assuming young one here, are smart, fit men. This is good for breeding.
College Professor - Brain power for bloodlines, also might have some smarts as to how to re-build.
Musician - Need some sort of art to pass on. a song for people to get behind and focus on and not thier pain and suffering.

FEMALES
High School Cheerleader - Young fit and ready to birth.
Teacher - Brain power to help come up with plans and filter into DNA pool
Architect - Re-building and someone who can see things through
Air Force Pilot - Same as Naval Officer
Housewife - She has new life. This will be born in 3 months then she can do it again. We know she is working up till now. No Guarentee on the others.

The kids, I am sorry to say, bring nothing to the table but chaos, and fear for them. Grant it the wife will fear for her un-born baby, but no one else can see or hear it's cries yet. This could make a big difference in 3 months in the tank

#5822 12/06/04 07:37 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
See, who wants to spend 6 months cooked up with 2 8 year olds in a bunker? Have you tried having one in a car let alone in a large room? What're you going to do "heres a doorknob, go amuse yourself"

#5823 12/06/04 10:27 PM
UGN Elite
UGN Elite
Yea really, Close your eyes while we procreate like animals in heat.

#5824 12/07/04 12:52 AM
Atleast some of us we can agree with our choices, but obviously there are a lot of people in the group that are pretty much useless anyway you look at it.

Policeman with Gun, whoopty [censored] doo, the cop has a pistol. Do you really want one guy armed in the bunker for 3 months, 3 months is a long time to be in close quarters with 11 people (10 people plus you) do we really need to factor in a gun. Plus pistols pretty much suck when it comes to protection and hunting.

Truck Driver, yup driving a truck is one hell of a skill for being in a bunker for 3 months. When you do emerge, how the hell do you even know if any trucks actually survived. What about fuel and logistics, pretty much screw this person.

8 year old kids, probably couldn't handle being in the bunker for three months. Emotional and mental trauma will probably make functioning in the new society difficult. Kids are high a lot of work and use up a lot of resources while bringing absolutely nothing to the table. More or less a liability and have a low chance of survival after the bunker opens.

Grandmother, old, senile, past her prime reproduction wise, like the children she has a low rate of survival and really a liability. You've lived a long life granny, why not take one for the team.

"Remember how much fun you had shooting spitwads at the teacher in seventh grade? Imagine applying that kind of attitude to actually [censored] with Mitsubishi!"
- Jello Biafra
#5825 12/07/04 01:11 AM
Der �belt�ter
Der �belt�ter
Quote:
Plus pistols pretty much suck when it comes to protection...
Lies. Why else would I carry my handgun? I run .40S&W hollowpoints, and I'd like to see anything take one or two to a vital area and keep coming.

#5826 12/07/04 01:13 AM
Yeah but after 5 0r 10 shots you got yourself a purdy lookin paperweight. For close range protection they're great, but for combat they pretty much suck balls.

- Jello Biafra
#5827 12/07/04 01:14 AM
Der �belt�ter
Der �belt�ter
Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon:
Yeah but after 5 0r 10 shots you got yourself a purdy lookin paperweight. For close range protection they're great, but for combat they pretty much suck balls.
Well then you need to specify the application. cool

#5828 12/07/04 01:18 AM
Apply this mofo, if the only (known) surviving bullets are left for your gun are in your clip you really don't have all that much protection, especially since you'll be out of ammo soon.

Not to mention you may not have any bullets left after staying in a bunker with two 8 year olds and a grandmother for 3 months.

[censored]

- Jello Biafra
#5829 12/07/04 01:46 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon:
Atleast some of us we can agree with our choices, but obviously there are a lot of people in the group that are pretty much useless anyway you look at it.

Policeman with Gun, whoopty [censored] doo, the cop has a pistol. Do you really want one guy armed in the bunker for 3 months, 3 months is a long time to be in close quarters with 11 people (10 people plus you) do we really need to factor in a gun. Plus pistols pretty much suck when it comes to protection and hunting.

Truck Driver, yup driving a truck is one hell of a skill for being in a bunker for 3 months. When you do emerge, how the hell do you even know if any trucks actually survived. What about fuel and logistics, pretty much screw this person.

8 year old kids, probably couldn't handle being in the bunker for three months. Emotional and mental trauma will probably make functioning in the new society difficult. Kids are high a lot of work and use up a lot of resources while bringing absolutely nothing to the table. More or less a liability and have a low chance of survival after the bunker opens.

Grandmother, old, senile, past her prime reproduction wise, like the children she has a low rate of survival and really a liability. You've lived a long life granny, why not take one for the team.
That's what I based my assessments on wink ...

#5830 12/07/04 02:13 PM
UGN Elite
UGN Elite
Yep. I took anyone young enough to live a while, yet old enough to procreate. The gun is a bad thing in a metal bunker. Say someone flips out, cop takes him out. BANG BANG.

Okay, bullets bounce around a bit, and wound 2 to 3 other people. Plus cops have a bleak outlook on life most of the time. They see the scum of the earth all day everyday. Not who I want around as the world dose the REM song. (This is the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...)

Kids, they have thier uses. They could get in areas the rest could not. But no one would send an 8 year old on a dangerous mission. They can not procreate and would not be able to for about 6 to 8 years.

Granny, yea she will understand. She might not like it but she knows what she has to offer compared to the rest. The cop if he wanted to enter would have at least lost the gun. Truckdriver, yea I think of the best in scociety when I think of them. Sorry dude. Janitor... NEXT!!! Preacher, ummm go find the 8 year old boy. Accountant, and what money will we be counting? He exisists to propel a system that will be dead when the doors open. Sales Executive same as accountant. But I would let her blow me to convince me. Chef, yea see we will not be eating 5 star food when the door opens. I can cook dead meat. Secretary - pointless

#5831 12/07/04 06:20 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by spanky:
Kids, they have thier uses. They could get in areas the rest could not. But no one would send an 8 year old on a dangerous mission. They can not procreate and would not be able to for about 6 to 8 years.
Unless you're a pedophile... Worlds youngest mother (who birthed a child) was 5yo at the time...

SO spanky, we know your no's, how about a list of who you chose lol

#5832 12/07/04 06:51 PM
G
UGN Super Poster
UGN Super Poster
G
WTF are you talkng about? I need to brush up on my sex ed or something, I wasn't aware it was even possible to get pregnant when you were 5...

and he already posted a list, gizzy. *points*

boys lie.

<sintax>
No we do not!!!!
</sintax>
#5833 12/07/04 06:53 PM
UGN Elite
UGN Elite
Quote:
Originally posted by spanky:
MALES
Football Player - Strength and good DNA most likely.
This is why many women are atracted to muscle, it
usally means good breading
Scientist - This is brains, someone who can see things through if they went to collage 6 to 8 years. Could help with radiation poisioning
Naval Officer - Best of both worlds, brains and he is fit. Naval officers I am assuming young one here, are smart, fit men. This is good for breeding.
College Professor - Brain power for bloodlines, also might have some smarts as to how to re-build.
Musician - Need some sort of art to pass on. a song for people to get behind and focus on and not thier pain and suffering.

FEMALES
High School Cheerleader - Young fit and ready to birth.
Teacher - Brain power to help come up with plans and filter into DNA pool
Architect - Re-building and someone who can see things through
Air Force Pilot - Same as Naval Officer
Housewife - She has new life. This will be born in 3 months then she can do it again. We know she is working up till now. No Guarentee on the others.

The kids, I am sorry to say, bring nothing to the table but chaos, and fear for them. Grant it the wife will fear for her un-born baby, but no one else can see or hear it's cries yet. This could make a big difference in 3 months in the tank
lol

#5834 12/07/04 07:11 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
'eh I need to learn how to read...

Bish, not only was she the worlds youngest mother, she was also the youngest case of puberty :nod:

Also, i've heard of 3rd graders having sex and pregnencies...

#5835 12/07/04 07:33 PM
G
UGN Super Poster
UGN Super Poster
G
*ahem*BISH*ahem* I don't think I even knew what sex was when I was in 3rd grade. That's [censored] up.

boys lie.

<sintax>
No we do not!!!!
</sintax>
#5836 12/08/04 04:52 AM
S
Spyrios Offline OP
UGN Member
OP Offline
UGN Member
S
Males:
Football player- good genes, disciplined, and strong (I hope he isn�t a kicker, lol)
Shop Teacher- basic building skills, teaching ability (gen ed knowledge)
Scientist- I see in my mind the professor from Gilligan�s Island
Historian- I believe that knowing ones history is important so Planet of the Apes doesn�t happen to my group.
Naval Officer- Knows navigation, leadership, accomplishes tasks with to few people every day.

Females:
High School cheerleader- Let�s face it healthy young woman with good chance of procreation.
Truck Driver- When I think truck driver I think no nonsense, strong person, who knows how to read a map and get to where they are going
Chef- Will hopefully be able to find food where others can�t.
Housewife- 2 lives in one, and after going through pregnancy and birth, may be able to midwife. Plus a housewife conjures images of master organizer.
Psychiatrist- Obviously to help deal with post-traumatic stress that could tear the group apart while in the shelter and when they come out.

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
#5837 05/30/05 07:36 PM
E
E
My list

Male:
-8yr old child: I couldn't deny a child, plus they also learn quicker then us. Is a better long time investment, I think they would adapt better then adults.
-Scientist: He's first of all trained to be logical and think outside the box. Plus his info would more likely help us, whatever it is.
-Shop teacher: He would know how to build stuff, and be practical. Make shelter and who knows what else.
-Football Player: Muscle that's it.
-Historian: Well he was the last on my list, I just thought if it was to be anyone else it would be him. LOL.
*Though it might be the college professor it matters what he's a professor in. If he's an English professor. I say goodbye, now if it was nuculear medicine. LOL, come on in bub.

Female:
-8 yr old child: Can't deny a child, but sadly for her. They will be no child labor laws, they will have to be working. LOL.
-Housewife: 2 in 1, just like everyone has said and we already know she's able to breed.
-Architect: Building structures to see if it's good or not
-High School Cheerleader: In shape can help out with foraging for food or building, and more likely fertile if needed.
-Teacher: To be able to deal with the kids.

I'd rather die on my feet then to live on my knees ~ Emiliano Zapata
#5838 05/30/05 08:15 PM
UGN Member
UGN Member
This thread is WAY older than a month - therefore it is dead, please read THE RULES <- This is a link - I suck at UBB code, can never get it to show links right frown

Note: I'd post the specific rule, but I can't use the Quote function in the Debates & Rants section (also, I can't find it - must be getting tired). Anyway, it's there, just trust me wink

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area."

-UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
#5839 05/30/05 08:49 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Lol, he can't find the button all the way at the end of the list; tisk tisk wink

#5840 05/30/05 10:10 PM
UGN Member
UGN Member
What's THAT supposed to mean? I know where the quote button is. (I don't get why it's in the shape of a pretzel though) duah

I just couldn't find the rule - it was all the way at the bottom, and i'm too lazy to read them all...

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area."

#5841 05/30/05 10:15 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
hold down control and click F then enter "dead" wink

#5842 05/31/05 07:05 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
I'm alwaus a fan of the name "[censored]"

#5843 05/31/05 07:24 PM
UGN Member
UGN Member
What does that have to do with anything? (are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the "NAME SHINOBI'S NEW DOG CONTEST!" thread?)

stupid

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics33,840
Posts68,858
Average Daily Posts1
Members2,176
Most Online3,253
Jan 13th, 2020
Latest Postings