Your browser does not seem to support CSS. If images appear below, please disregard them.
It appears that you're running an Ad-Blocker. This site is monetized by Advertising and by User Donations; we ask that if you find this site helpful that you whitelist us in your Ad-Blocker, or make a Donation to help aid in operating costs.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#9580 - 03/14/02 03:33 PM linux help (install hardware)....  
Soap Offline
Soap  Offline

AfriKA
yo... newbie linux-boy here.....

[disclaimer]
sorry if this is the wrong section (got told off by previous moderators for doing such a thing) I know it deals with a Unix topic but the forum title is "UNIX security" and this has **** to do with security...
anyway move it if you want...sorry for any inconvenience
[end deisclaimer]

Ok, I just got my hands on A Debian CD with a 2.1 kernel and as I live In Africa...
faraway country with a lousy 28,8K Net-access I won't spit on it... (french saying...)

All excited that I am, I installed on 1 of my PCs...it boots fine I get the normal "login:" prompt.... log in as root to do all the changes and make sure I have access to everything.

I just configured my local network (hosts file, routing tables) and it works nicely (only tried a few test pings for now...). I don't have much installed...in fact I'm not sure WTF I have.. I understand it's an old distro (with an old kernel ) and since it's on CD (as oppossed to a DVD-based SUSe distro)... space is limited.
But i REALLY find it a "skinny" install.... I have no access to help files.... man pages for progs like route, ifconfig or arp don't exist.
IS that posssible or have I ****ed up my install somewhere.

Now my major and more important question.... I installed from CD-rom but after install, when I boot a shell I can't access my cd-rom. I have a "/cdrom" directory (which is empty) and my /mnt directory is COMPLETLY empty...

I am little newbie w/t linux but generally at ease w/t computers so don't worry about being brief or complicated (save u time detailing and explaining).

By the way, I have a DVD-rom drive and A CD-rewriter.
I know both their "block device" adresses (hda1, hdc and so on). Do i have to load some drivers from somewhere? (Or "modules" under linux...if i understand correctly) How would I go about doing such as thing

Thx for futur answers...

Sponsored Links
#9581 - 03/14/02 05:07 PM Re: linux help (install hardware)....  
Predator Offline
Predator  Offline

Belgium
Well to access your cdrom in linux you have to make sure it is mounted. You can do it with the "mount" command.

Oh and the linux/unix section isn't only for security related questions, it's for questions about *nix in general.

so i moved it over there

Never argue with fools... They will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience...

Member Spotlight
Gremelin
Gremelin
Portland, OR; USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics46,767
Posts81,937
Average Daily Posts10
Members2,159
Most Online1,567