UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin The History Thread... - 02/23/08 08:45 PM
This thread is for user documentation of historic information about UGN Security. This can be anything that you feel "ground breaking" or simply of interest to yourself or that you feel could be of interest to others.

I know we've not really kept a good record of events in the past, but we're hoping that you can help us build a timeline of factual events in site history.

Dates with Domains
January 14, 2008 - undergroundnews.com registered
April 01, 2002 - undergroundnews.net registered
March 28, 2001 - undergroundnews.org registered
August 05, 2005 - ugnsecurity.com registered

The .net domain was registered as we had a squatter cloning the site with the domain, thus we snatched the .net and .org as soon as they where available after this infringement. ugnsecurity.com was also picked up to give us some bias over "UGN Security"

Take a ride on the Wayback Machine
Posted By: Cyrez Re: The History Thread... - 08/01/11 04:25 PM
I love stopping around here..

I remember heavy IRC usage and just messing with each other.

What about hacker mind.net

and all the different radio shows we tried out etc.

We use to have fun.

I miss all of you.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The History Thread... - 08/04/11 03:49 PM
Well, this place will always be here, I have no plans to drop it; just slow because all of the staff grew up and found better things to do.

Not to mention, Crime deleted everything out of the gaming forum which was our big bread and butter as far as traffic went.
Posted By: Crime Re: The History Thread... - 03/04/13 01:44 PM
yeh sorry about that
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The History Thread... - 03/06/13 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Crime
yeh sorry about that
Comment years later at least made me chuckle...
Posted By: AccessDenied Re: The History Thread... - 08/25/13 11:32 PM
Well, I'm not sure of the date, but I do remember when I came back on one day and it was suddenly full of ad's. I'll admit I was here a lot more when it was ad free; however I also don't pay the bills.

Otherwise I'd say 25 August 2013, the day I realized this place was still around. I'll be firing up an IRC client shortly to test that out.
Posted By: Cyrez Re: The History Thread... - 09/12/14 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by AccessDenied
Well, I'm not sure of the date, but I do remember when I came back on one day and it was suddenly full of ad's. I'll admit I was here a lot more when it was ad free; however I also don't pay the bills.

Otherwise I'd say 25 August 2013, the day I realized this place was still around. I'll be firing up an IRC client shortly to test that out.

Wait I thought there was only one add. The one at the top for the special UGN store. I may have purchased a mouse pad.

Did that happen or am I going crazy?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The History Thread... - 09/18/14 04:42 PM
The top ad was always for just the store as its dimensions didn't fit with any ad partners.

And the ads where a necessity; I pay about $500/yr just for the server hosting, and since the UBB project I've worked with since 1996 is practically dead, operation costs have to be covered somehow.
Posted By: Cyrez Re: The History Thread... - 08/11/15 07:11 AM
While at Defcon23. I left a some memorabilia on the Whiskey Pirates White Board.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtlhd Re: The History Thread... - 08/10/17 08:42 AM
What ever happened to Corey?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The History Thread... - 08/11/17 07:11 PM
He's on Facebook, but I haven't talked with him for a while
© UGN Security Forum