UGN Security
Posted By: Shadow2006 Telnet and FTP - 06/19/03 05:25 PM
What the hell are they? oh i got a new scanner but i err...when i scan all the things come up i right click on one of them i get the 3 choices
FTP
Telnet
Web browse-what i can tell this just takes me to a website of no importants, i mean whats the point of taking me to a random website, does this have something to do with hacking or im i just going to random websites. help me out here. Please

frown
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Telnet and FTP - 06/19/03 06:44 PM
haaaaaahahaha... oh, sorry.

the results you speak of. they're open ports. So the scanner gives you the option of FTP'ing to the open port you selected, or it will connect to the open port with telnet. Or you can load up the browser to browse the port on the machine you scanned. It doesn't take you to a random website. If the machine you scanned showed an open port 80, then it would be browsing the website on that machine.

What is a Browser?
Examples: IE, netscape, opera, mozilla
It is a special program that connects to another computer and downloads webpages from it and displays them for you. Usually it connects to port 80 to download the pages.

What is a FTP client?
Examples: WS_FTP, Windows FTP, BulletProof FTP
Another special program that usually connects to port 21. From there it allows you to browse the files on the computer it connects to.

What is telnet good for?
Examples: putty, Windows Telnet
Use this program to connect to any port you want. Then YOU tell it what to send to the remote computer, and it'll show you the computer's responses. Instead of a client like a browser and FTP handling the communication FOR you, you communicate with the server manually.
Posted By: Shadow2006 Re: Telnet and FTP - 06/19/03 08:18 PM
Ok what if you try about 15 links and only 1 of them lets you browse, when you try to use telnet it never connects and when you use FTP it does nothing at all it does even come with a screen telling you its trying to connect which telnet does before 2 seconds later closing down? i mean is it just unlucky or im i doing something wrong, i hate being a noob.
Posted By: vendicate Re: Telnet and FTP - 07/05/03 03:40 AM
Have you ever used a computer before?
Posted By: vendicate Re: Telnet and FTP - 07/05/03 03:43 AM
Exactly

Maybe you should take the time to read some stuff on FTP and Telnet before you ask lame questions
© UGN Security Forum