UGN Security
Posted By: hKzKnight A lil virus help - 04/09/02 08:05 PM
Uhh not good. A few of my windows boxes on my lan got infected with this nasty bad boy.

W95/CIH.1003 also known as the Chernobyl virus, so on.

Well a few issues. Hell ya my virus scanners see it. I have all sorts running. However the issue it can't clean the virus, many of the virus protection software just say can't clean or remove virus etc. Well I was thinking maybe it will work if I run the kill_cih prog. However it's telling me it's not detected in the memory. However I know **** well it is. So I'm stuck, that last thing I want to do in the world is reformat those HDs. A lil help of how to rid of the beast, ty. Arg good thing Linux is safe, come penguin we must leave those dirty windows boxes in the biodome.
Posted By: OC12 Re: A lil virus help - 04/09/02 09:17 PM
Have you tried AVG or Normons (Not Norton's P.O.S.). They might be able to clean it.
What ever you do, don't turn it on the 26th of this month.
Posted By: OC12 Re: A lil virus help - 04/09/02 09:24 PM
CAUTION:
If the computer is infected with the W95.CIH virus, run the CIH removal tool before you try to update your antivirus definitions or scan your system. If you try to scan an infected system with an antivirus product without first running this tool, you run the risk of spreading the infection. Once you have used this tool, you can safely scan the computer.
The CIH removal tool will not detect or remove the W95.CIH virus from files. It disables the virus in memory so that Norton AntiVirus can remove the infection without inadvertently spreading the virus.

You can get the tool from norton.com incase you haven't tried that tool.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: A lil virus help - 04/09/02 10:00 PM
Norton 2002 owns you kid, stfu, its the ONLY virus scanner i'd touch on my windows machine. Every other one is just an overloaded peice of ****. They think that i want looks over functions and all the bull****, when norton knows i want speed and features.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 12:18 AM
LOL! Ya well I need to rid this ****ing thing before it kills everything. U mean the kill_cih.exe is what u are talking about.... It's from Symantec... Those d00ds who made norton... Remember I said it don't work.

However it's telling me it's not detected in the memory. However I know **** well it is. So I'm stuck, that last thing I want to do in the world is reformat those HDs.

I mean the virus is seen but can't clean it... I mean ahhh **** it Gizmo LOL you taunting about a virus prog will not work. I need this **** to leave me alone... DIE VIRUS DIE!
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 12:26 AM
Oh real cute, put this in the newbie section. Hey this was perfect in general... Ya, you see why I like my side of the forum! LOL ne way, fine then... Still can use some help because this is one of the hardest viruses to deal with.
Posted By: Predator Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 10:53 AM
Well there are a lot of different versions of the chernobyl virus, so make sure you have the right version of the cih removal tool, this might be the right problem why your version can't detect cih.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 06:41 PM
here is the issue, there is only one CIH removal tool. It said it found it once in the memory and tried to take it out of memory so then I can rid of it. However didn't get it to work again... I mean i don't know what to do... Nothing seems to work, no virus scanners can rid of it... Not even the CIH memory removal tool to keep it from spreading... LOL... ****ing windows.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 09:04 PM
Go to this webpage:
http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

See if this utility can help:

FIX-CIH Virus Recovery

Steve Gibson (the webmaster and programmer) is my hero. smile
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: A lil virus help - 04/10/02 11:59 PM
I'll check that out... Thanx, I have 2 PCs to disinfect... Actully my personal computer is now disinfected... Yes everyone, I got it... I GOT IT! LOL... Thanx for j00r helpz. Though since i got other PCs, I'll try what you gave me Silent.
Posted By: AK Re: A lil virus help - 04/11/02 04:52 AM
lol, Steve Gibson. I remember when you read that article about how his website got DoSed and how he traced it back and you were like "omg, this guy is a genious" whatever happened to the IRC-controlled torjans you wanted to make?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: A lil virus help - 04/11/02 12:47 PM
heh, you've got a long memory. That dude REVERSE ENGINEERED those bots, then he MODIFIED those bots to be his own neutralized spies to infiltrate the bot network. I'm still in freakin awe dude.

The IRC bot in question is another project on hold in favor of more useful projects.
Posted By: Dartur Re: A lil virus help - 04/17/02 07:39 PM
nice for you hKzKnight to get rid of the ****...

else there's a simple solution..
it's a thing you should do at least once/month..

you just open msdos and type:

format c:

I promise you'll get rid of the virus..

lol, that's the way to go when you have a homenetwork with no internet-access.. you just copy all the crap you wanna keep and then you delete the ****, moves back everything and it all done... laugh

I'm also a fan of that Gibson-dude.. he knows what he's doin..
Posted By: Gremelin Re: A lil virus help - 04/17/02 08:07 PM
rofl interesting... I'd laugh if he accidently did that or deltree /Y c:
Posted By: placid fire Re: A lil virus help - 10/28/03 08:10 AM
A purely hypothetical question.if i wanted to send a virus to a computer what sort of software would i require?.
Posted By: Infinite Re: A lil virus help - 10/28/03 08:25 AM
Um, yeh. Can you say closed?

I knew you could.

Infinite
© UGN Security Forum