UGN Security
Posted By: TH3 93n3$t34l3r msn messenger - 09/29/03 02:48 PM
hello i am really annoyed wif these petophiles on the net they are now shutting down the intire msn messenger system on october 14th and all the rest of the world has to suffer because of some loser trying to pick up kids mad
Posted By: unreal Re: msn messenger - 09/29/03 05:40 PM
They're switching to a subscription-only service. That's far different from shutting it down.
Posted By: jonconley Re: msn messenger - 09/29/03 11:09 PM
what unreal didn't say, is that since microsoft realized there may be a market to Chat Rooms for pedophiles, it realized it can exploit that fact by charging high prices to pedophiles to have pedophile-only rooms. They will then use their invasive privacy techniques to locate children using windows and will run a MSN messenger to autojoin these chatrooms, thereby supplying the pedophiles with a readily available meat market of children.
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: msn messenger - 09/30/03 01:57 AM
ooh? have I missed something here?? I thought it was only the MSN chat not the messenger service who was going down??
Posted By: $500,000 Bentley Re: msn messenger - 09/30/03 06:09 AM
the whole thing is going down??? i thought it was just the chat rooms? if they make it subscription only does that mean well have to pay?
Posted By: jonconley Re: msn messenger - 10/01/03 01:02 AM
I was being sarcastic. Here is a link to a recent MSN press release regarding subscription service for MSN chat: [LINK]
Posted By: pergesu Re: msn messenger - 10/01/03 03:19 AM
Alright, so that doesn't give much info. I use MSN Messenger on occasion, as well as Hotmail. With their service becoming subscription-only, does that include Messenger and Hotmail? Probably not Hotmail...but are Messenger and MSN Chat the same thing?
Posted By: jonconley Re: msn messenger - 10/01/03 03:45 AM
From what I understand, no. MSN chat is something you could access normally with your passport. They probably have the ability to access it via Messenger, but it is mainly on the website for MSN. Like the AOL chat rooms sorta.

However, I would not be surprised for Messenger to follow soon. They probably will not do that until it is integrated even further than passport/messenger was on XP. They need to establish a IM monopoly first smile
Posted By: TH3 93n3$t34l3r Re: msn messenger - 10/02/03 02:36 PM
sorry to every one i got my story wrong someone told me the whole thing was closing down but i think its just the chat rooms not the messenger
© UGN Security Forum