UGN Security
Posted By: Artic Warrior Google Earth - 08/20/05 06:24 PM
This program has been out for a while but I only found out about it this week and I haven't been able to get of it. Its just so much fun, especially for a geographical nerd like me. It basically allows you to have a look at any part of the planet as though you had control of a satellite.

Its free and heaps of fun trying to find your street or famous locations and the quality in some places is just amazing.

Its great to have a look at the United States cause extra features are available that dont work in other countries like "buildings" which gives you a 3D veiw of the cities like Manhattan.

I was looking for the prison in Guant�namo Bay but couldn't locate it exactly. Though I did find the bay itself. I recommend that everyone have a go at this, you can download it here .

If you have already had a go at this what did you think?
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 04:14 AM
It's a fun program but it pissed me off that they have nothing for most parts of Connecticut but you can see everything of a little hick town called Granby in Massachusetts...
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 08:54 AM
They show New London in CT which I thought was pretty small. I have a friend that lives near the light house and it was cool that they had that much detail there.
If anyone should be pissed off it should be africans who have like no coverage. But then again how many africans have the interent.
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 09:19 AM
the only places i care about are Middlefield, Southington, and Waterbury. None of which you can see detail frown
Posted By: EndGame Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Artic Warrior:
They show New London in CT which I thought was pretty small. I have a friend that lives near the light house and it was cool that they had that much detail there.
If anyone should be pissed off it should be africans who have like no coverage. But then again how many africans have the interent.
heh, ud be suprised.
tho i think the coverage is meant for (as u rightly used it) people trying to find out information about somewhere else.
cos if u did need to find out something locally, ur phonebook would have the answers.

nice post icey.
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 02:20 PM
Thank you laugh
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 06:10 PM
Well there are parts of Africa that are generously covered like parts of Cairo and South Africa which would have a denser population of users. I can already see this getting bigger and bigger as time continues, I was suprised when I found this of how little people knew about it.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Google Earth - 08/21/05 07:44 PM
Google Earth is generally new, Google bought the technology only a few years ago...
Posted By: hyperx Re: Google Earth - 09/01/05 03:52 PM
I havent got around to using it yet, though in my local paper there was a big article about it because the goverment is pissed that people can view Garden Island on it (Western Australian Naval Base) and are scared that "terrorists" can use the images to plan and attack the base.

They want it removed from Google Earth, or some crap. heh.

- me
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Google Earth - 09/28/05 12:09 PM
If the future was tomorrow then that day passed yesterday. smile Google has added new layers to its sattlelight images of planet Earth. These include:

live web cams
statistics on population and crime
your local EVERYTHING (hospitals, schools, Chinese restruant)
My most loved new feature is the National Geographic links in Africa. It has also updated some areas with new sat coverage and named roads in Canada.

When they said they wanted information accessible at the click of a button I had no idea it would be this big. laugh
Posted By: promith Re: Google Earth - 10/07/05 12:22 AM
very nice program just downloaded and had a look very cool.
Posted By: scall10n Re: Google Earth - 10/07/05 09:39 AM
Heh, why use google earth? Use the online one. Here's some stuff that might interest ya'll:

http://local.google.com/maps?ll=34.711385,-77.448...005798,0.008337&t=k&hl=en
and here's a really good one:
http://local.google.com/maps?q=20310,usa&ll=38.87...005491,0.008337&t=k&hl=en
http://local.google.com/maps?ll=38.811214,-76.876...005780,0.008776&t=k&hl=en
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Google Earth - 10/07/05 02:34 PM
this is the airforce base my dad and step mom used to be stationed at :p

Westover Air Force Base near Granby Massachusetts

and this is my old house in granby. a whole 8 acers of mostly feild and barn...
[Linked Image]

and at least with Google Earth i can see where i lived in connecticut
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Google Earth - 10/08/05 02:16 AM
I've found numerous places which will not display on Google's web based UI which will display in KeyHole, err "google earth"...
Posted By: CrackerMac Re: Google Earth - 10/08/05 09:25 AM
Here's a funny thing to try out. Go to MSN's virtual maps and look up "Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA." Now, go to google and look it up. What's different when looking in satellite view? According to MSN, the headquarters of Apple doesn't exist. smile
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Google Earth - 10/10/05 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by scall10n:
Heh, why use google earth? Use the online one. Here's some stuff that might interest ya'll:

http://local.google.com/maps?ll=34.711385,-77.448...005798,0.008337&t=k&hl=en
and here's a really good one:
http://local.google.com/maps?q=20310,usa&ll=38.87...005491,0.008337&t=k&hl=en
http://local.google.com/maps?ll=38.811214,-76.876...005780,0.008776&t=k&hl=en
If you download it you can place your own markers among other things. Plus it feels like your controling a sat with the 3D monouvering.

I also didnt see anything wrong with the apple HQ on G-Earth.
Posted By: hyperx Re: Google Earth - 10/21/05 08:26 AM
geezus, is the water normally that nice brown color?
Posted By: hyperx Re: Google Earth - 10/21/05 08:30 AM
wasnt meant to triple post. dont know why it did *sighs* and the creator cant delete them frown heh.

my bad cap.
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Google Earth - 10/21/05 10:52 AM
no but i can :p
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Google Earth - 10/21/05 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hyperx:
geezus, is the water normally that nice brown color?
Were you looking? Usually that is the rivers cause of fish like the [censored] carp! The oceans are quite clean.

IceMyst has great powers.
© UGN Security Forum